College football’s three new clock rules for 2023 and how they’ll change your Saturdays

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Auerbach:

College football is back, but that doesn’t mean it will look exactly the same as the way we left it. The NCAA changed three rules this offseason, and we’re here to help you understand how and why each change will work.

The three changes are aimed at shortening Division I and II college football games and reducing the number of plays per contest. Reducing the number of plays is both a player safety concern, with an expanded College Football Playoff on the way next season, and a fan engagement concern, with FBS games averaging close to three hours and 30 minutes while the NFL average is 3:10. Additional plays per game create additional opportunities for collisions and injuries. The game’s stakeholders are trying to limit the total number of “exposures,” as experts and administrators call them, that athletes experience across the entire season.

So, here’s what’s changing:

1. The game clock will run after first downs (as it does in the NFL), except for the last two minutes of each half.

Prior to the rule change, officials stopped the clock on every first down awarded. Now, they’ll only stop the clock after a first down in the final two minutes of the half. Although some fans have worried this change would remove one of college football’s superior rules compared to the NFL, Shaw reiterated that there will still be plenty of time for game-winning drives in college football.

“Even if you’re out of timeouts in the last two minutes, if you can get a first down and we stop the clock, you get an opportunity to score on a drive — and we are keeping that,” Shaw said. “The idea here is to keep the game moving. If nothing else changes, this will probably eliminate seven or eight plays per game. You may not even notice that seven or eight plays. But if you look at a 12-game season and eight plays per game, that’s 96 student-athlete exposures that we would reduce over the course of the season.”

With under two minutes left in the second and fourth quarters, the game clock will be stopped to award the first down and restarted on the referee’s signal. The clock will be restarted when the ball is ready for play, which is when the official places the ball down and is in position to officiate.

2. A team cannot call consecutive timeouts.

Say farewell to the most extreme tactics for icing the kicker. Teams are no longer allowed to call consecutive timeouts in the same dead-ball period. “This was done to keep the game moving,” Shaw said. “We’ve all been there: The defense has three timeouts left at the end of the first half, and they call to ice the kicker with all three timeouts. We lose five minutes of our lives, and the kicker kicks it through.”

The offense can call a timeout, followed by the defense calling a timeout — but neither side can call two in the same dead-ball period.

3. Untimed downs will only occur, as needed, in the second and fourth quarters. If there is a foul at the end of the first or third quarter, it will carry over into the next quarter.

Previously, if there was a penalty accepted for a live-ball foul during the last timed down of a quarter, the officials would extend the quarter with an untimed down. Now, that will only occur in the second and fourth quarters to close out the half’s action.

“We’re not going to extend the first quarter and we’re not going to extend the third quarter — that just adds another play to the game,” Shaw said. “We’re still going to enforce the penalty, but it’ll be carried over to the start of the following quarter. So that’s one way that we can reduce a play here and there.”

Go Gophers!!

Less plays should mean cheaper admission prices. Isn’t happening in the B1G.

Nobody complained games were too long in D3 or D2.

Nobody complained games were too long in D1 either… until…

The guy in the red hat appeared and TV timeouts exploded the length of games and lowered the fun level of attending games in person.

To do this under the guise of “player safety” makes this even more ridiculous.

This is a simple trade. Advertisement minutes have replaced football minutes.

Less plays should mean cheaper admission prices. Isn’t happening in the B1G.
Seems like statistics might also be affected. Because of fewer plays offenses will likely gain fewer yards and the obvious flip side is that defenses will give up fewer yards. I think that I can live with it. My suggestion to make the games shorter is to limit the amount of time that refs have to make a decision about a play being reviewed. If they can't make a decision in some set time (45 seconds perhaps), the play stands as called on the field.

I really don't have an issue with any of these 3 changes. The first down one isn't that big a deal because the clock only stops long enough for them to set the ball right now anyway. It isn't like the old days when the clock stopped on first down until the next snap.

I'm all for teams not being able to call consecutive timeouts to "ice" the kicker. It is such a waste of time, one timeout is plenty then play ball.

And the third one doesn't happen all that often anyway so really no big deal to carry the penalty over to the next quarter as opposed to running an untimed play at the end of the 1st or 3rd.

I get that their reasoning for the changes often seem pretty suspect, especially anytime they cite trying to shorten the game as the reason while then still leaving in all the excessively long TV timeouts that just keep getting longer and longer. But these changes here don't bug me.

My suggestion to make the games shorter is to limit the amount of time that refs have to make a decision about a play being reviewed. If they can't make a decision in some set time (45 seconds perhaps), the play stands as called on the field.
This should be the universal replay rule in all sports. Except make it 30 seconds.

This should be the universal replay rule in all sports. Except make it 30 seconds.
30 seconds might be a little quick but would love a time limit of some kind. If the play is so close that you are getting to the point of super slow mo and taking forever to make a decision just go with the call on the field and move on.

Replay is great when it can quickly catch the obvious mistakes but it gets frustrating as heck when they drag on and on while they look at 500 angles 50 times each.

From a strategy point of view, doesn't #1 reward a clock control offense, er ...like we've been playing?

I don't think there needs to be fewer plays. There needs to be fewer TV timeouts.
This is only a way for the greedy to get more. I know they pay the bills, but the efforts to have continuous commercials is enough to drive a lot of people away. I haven't watched an NFL game in 10 years. I just can't stand the commercials getting interrupted by actual football.

Other countries find a way to have Aussie Rules Football uninterrupted, Rugby (which is different than Aussie Rules), Soccer worldwide, Cricket worldwide, and anything else on the plate. Not that hard to make the fan experience better.

Nobody complained games were too long in D3 or D2.

Nobody complained games were too long in D1 either… until…

The guy in the red hat appeared and TV timeouts exploded the length of games and lowered the fun level of attending games in person.

To do this under the guise of “player safety” makes this even more ridiculous.

This is a simple trade. Advertisement minutes have replaced football minutes.
It’s all about tv. And regardless of what they tell you, they want more consistent run times for their programming

30 seconds might be a little quick but would love a time limit of some kind. If the play is so close that you are getting to the point of super slow mo and taking forever to make a decision just go with the call on the field and move on.

Replay is great when it can quickly catch the obvious mistakes but it gets frustrating as heck when they drag on and on while they look at 500 angles 50 times each.
Maybe 30 is tight for football. My biggest pet peeve is the the out of bounds reviews in basketball. I would not let that be reviewable period. If the refs can't agree who the ball went off of, it's a jump ball.

hey, we are not going to get fewer TV commercials.

-TV networks pay big bucks for the rights to show college FB games
-TV networks try to get their money back by running TV commercials
-for cable channels like ESPN that are losing money from cord-cutters, that makes advertising revenue even more important.

besides, 99% of the people watching games on TV are scrolling through their phones during the time-outs anyway, checking scores, stats and betting sites. Or running to the kitchen for food - or running to the bathroom to pee or poop.

If you think " student-athlete exposures" to football violence is horrible and needs to be avoided, then just outlaw the sport. Ridiculous and effeminate, just like America's current culture.

This is only a way for the greedy to get more. I know they pay the bills, but the efforts to have continuous commercials is enough to drive a lot of people away. I haven't watched an NFL game in 10 years. I just can't stand the commercials getting interrupted by actual football.

Other countries find a way to have Aussie Rules Football uninterrupted, Rugby (which is different than Aussie Rules), Soccer worldwide, Cricket worldwide, and anything else on the plate. Not that hard to make the fan experience better.
You bring up a good point about ads paying the bills. Fleck uses the full time between plays. The TV could play an ad in picture in picture mode between plays to speed up the entire thing.

I hate the change on first downs there are 12 Gophers games a year. I don’t understand what the rush is to get them over with especially with PJ. miking the clock this is gonna suck.

I hate the change on first downs there are 12 Gophers games a year. I don’t understand what the rush is to get them over with especially with PJ. miking the clock this is gonna suck.
Shouldn’t the new rule with no stopped clock after a first down help the Gophers, since, as you said, PJ likes to milk the clock when he has a lead. This keeps the clock running.

I have no problem with any of the rule changes but I have a real problem with the powers that be pretending these changes will help reduce injuries or improve the fans in the seats experience.
It is the TV timeouts that destroy the flow of the game.
Why not show the commercials during injury timeouts and the time between the quarters and at half-time?
The TV timeouts are one reason why watching the game in the comfort of your home on your big screen TV is reducing attendance at the games.

I have no problem with any of the rule changes but I have a real problem with the powers that be pretending these changes will help reduce injuries or improve the fans in the seats experience.
It is the TV timeouts that destroy the flow of the game.
Why not show the commercials during injury timeouts and the time between the quarters and at half-time?
The TV timeouts are one reason why watching the game in the comfort of your home on your big screen TV is reducing attendance at the games.
I get your frustrations. But that horse is out of the barn, as they say, and there’s no going back. TV advertising drives everything, with the TV timeouts, to the detriment of the games. The two minute rule at the end of each half in NFL games was concocted to sell advertising, nothing more. Thankfully the college game hasn’t resorted to that too.

Groundhog Day thread, right here.

I get your frustrations. But that horse is out of the barn, as they say, and there’s no going back. TV advertising drives everything, with the TV timeouts, to the detriment of the games. The two minute rule at the end of each half in NFL games was concocted to sell advertising, nothing more. Thankfully the college game hasn’t resorted to that too.
If using a two minute warning timeout reduced the number of TV timeouts, I might be for it.

What about out of bounds? I thought there was something that changed there? Clock stopped on out of bounds play but begins running when ball is set? Except in last two minutes when clock is stopped until ball is snapped? Am I wrong on this?

Top Bottom