College Basketball 2021-2022 Thread

lol....did you post this because you saw my post above? This dude clearly didn't watch the final second. Edit....yes....of course he did:

Haha, I had no idea that happened. I just saw the tweet showing the Virginia bucket and assumed that was the ballgame.

I was watching our 5 year old and 9 month old all day so my attention to what was going on all day was pretty inconsistent.

Arizona falls to Colorado, Baylor about to beat Kansas. 5 teams in the top 10 lose today

Haha, I had no idea that happened. I just saw the tweet showing the Virginia bucket and assumed that was the ballgame.

I was watching our 5 year old and 9 month old all day so my attention to what was going on all day was pretty inconsistent.

I was asking because....I had JUST posted before you what had happened in that game. I thought you were poking fun at that twitter guy.

On a side note....St. Mary's is absolutely BEATING on Gonzaga so far. Four minutes left in the half and St. Mary's is up 30-16.

I was asking because....I had JUST posted before you what had happened in that game. I thought you were poking fun at that twitter guy.

On a side note....St. Mary's is absolutely BEATING on Gonzaga so far. Four minutes left in the half and St. Mary's is up 30-16.
Now 36-21 at the half.

Am I the only one that thinks if there was a gust of wind Holmgren would get picked up and float away like a kite?

Now 36-21 at the half.

Am I the only one that thinks if there was a gust of wind Holmgren would get picked up and float away like a kite?

A) Yes. He's is super twiggy. Makes up for it with really good body control.
B) This Gonzaga team is nowhere near as good as last years. St. Mary's has laid out the formula to beating them. Got to play really tough defense. Getting into an up and down scoring fest is a losing plan. Baylor last year was super balanced on both ends and completely shut down Gonzaga. I'd be VERY surprised if this Gonzaga team managed to make the final four.

The #1 ranked through #6 ranked teams all lost today. First time ever.

And with #9 Texas Tech losing.....a record seven top ten teams losing in a single day. Seems like the kind of thing we may never see happen again. Need a perfect storm with that many top teams playing all on the same day....and they all have to be playing formidable conference teams.

A) Yes. He's is super twiggy. Makes up for it with really good body control.
B) This Gonzaga team is nowhere near as good as last years. St. Mary's has laid out the formula to beating them. Got to play really tough defense. Getting into an up and down scoring fest is a losing plan. Baylor last year was super balanced on both ends and completely shut down Gonzaga. I'd be VERY surprised if this Gonzaga team managed to make the final four.

I mean....you could argue they shouldn't be the favorite maybe. But to say a team ranked 1st in every predictive metric and top ten in every resume metric is a longshot to make the final four seems like a stretch.

Ill also point out that their other two losses were in fact up and down scoring fests

Big Ten games today

Illinois @ Michigan
Ohio State @ Maryland
Indiana @ Gophers
Nebraska @ Penn State

Really something yesterday.
SMU @ Houston might be a good one. Mustangs won the first meeting 86-83 on the Cougars home court.
Thought Cleveland State had the Horizon all wrapped up, but then they lost @ Detroit Mercy and @ Oakland.
Haven't seen them play one minute, but the Longwood Lancers appear to be head and shoulders over the rest of the Big South. A seven game lead. (Can't be that great though, Georgetown beat them.)
St Bonaventure yesterday against St Joseph. Won 54-52 and the starters played 40, 40, 40, 37. Not to be outdone, St Joseph went 40, 40, 40, 39
You get a nice article written about you and Long Beach falls to UC Irvine.
Longest winning streaks
Murray State-18
South Dakota State-18
North Texas-14
Colgate-12
Kent State-10
Buffalo Bulls-9
Purdue Ft Wayne-9
Texas State-9
Winthrop-8
Middle Tennessee-8
Stephen F Austin-8
St Bonaventure-7
VCU-7

I mean....you could argue they shouldn't be the favorite maybe. But to say a team ranked 1st in every predictive metric and top ten in every resume metric is a longshot to make the final four seems like a stretch.

Ill also point out that their other two losses were in fact up and down scoring fests

Predictive/resume metrics are tough to judge when your competition level is so much lower than the other teams that you'll be playing come tournament time. And I'm not trying to say that they aren't a good team. Obviously they are a top ten type team. But they've played six teams in the NET top 25 and have gone 4-3 (split with St. Mary's). I just don't think they've been tested nearly enough.

As for the other two losses being up and down scoring fests....I think that's part of my point. Last year they could beat anyone in that type of game. This team isn't as good as last year's team....which is why they've dropped a couple of those. But St. Mary's really put the formula out on how to beat this team. I'm just not sure that they'll be able to win four straight against top competition.

But you are right. Saying I'd be surprised is an overreaction to last night. Gonzaga is a very talented team. I'll probably be picking them to stall out in the elite eight however. Of course....that could depend on potential matchups.

I just don’t get the Chet #1 overall pick thinking. He had 7 points last night on like 3-7 shooting and St Mary’s went at him on defense. I understand his potential but he is going to get abused in the NBA at least at the start.

Really something yesterday.
SMU @ Houston might be a good one. Mustangs won the first meeting 86-83 on the Cougars home court.
Thought Cleveland State had the Horizon all wrapped up, but then they lost @ Detroit Mercy and @ Oakland.
Haven't seen them play one minute, but the Longwood Lancers appear to be head and shoulders over the rest of the Big South. A seven game lead. (Can't be that great though, Georgetown beat them.)
St Bonaventure yesterday against St Joseph. Won 54-52 and the starters played 40, 40, 40, 37. Not to be outdone, St Joseph went 40, 40, 40, 39
You get a nice article written about you and Long Beach falls to UC Irvine.
Longest winning streaks
Murray State-18
South Dakota State-18
North Texas-14
Colgate-12
Kent State-10
Buffalo Bulls-9
Purdue Ft Wayne-9
Texas State-9
Winthrop-8
Middle Tennessee-8
Stephen F Austin-8
St Bonaventure-7
VCU-7
Agree yesterday was great all the way through including USC's win over Oregon. Drew Peterson sure performs his role well for USC. Not a bad deal when you have a 6'8" guard who can distribute the ball like he can, and can also penetrate, shoot when needed, etc. He hit a huge game-winning 3 last night.

Small correction, since it will probably matter a lot - - SMU beat Houston at home in Dallas. Today is on Houston's court, and I expect it will be a different outcome. If SMU does pull off a win, they become another bubble team that may get in so long as they can make the final of conf tourney.

SMU starts out with their 6'5", 6'4", 6'3", 6'3", 5'11"
Went to the 6'9" freshman from Treyton Thompson's school

I just don’t get the Chet #1 overall pick thinking. He had 7 points last night on like 3-7 shooting and St Mary’s went at him on defense. I understand his potential but he is going to get abused in the NBA at least at the start.
I feel the same way. Gonna take some time IMO but the potential is certainly there.

Cockburn is a beast. Dickinson isn't getting the best of this.

Edit: that is just in the last 5 minutes I've watched. I see dickinson has 9 boards. not bad.

No doubt he'll get pushed around in the NBA....but he has such a unique skill set for a guy his size that I think he'll still be effective on the offensive end of the court. He'll get his blocks in too.

Craziest tournament bracket out there.

That is wild. But my only thought is that they want to give their #5/#6 teams another game or two in order to bolster their resumes since....at least BYU is on the bubble.

Otherwise....the Big 12 bracket setup makes more sense.

Screen%20Shot%202020-03-11%20at%2011.21.36%20PM.png

Dumb. It's not like Gonzaga needs the coddling. Tremendous lengths to make it one game shorter for them.
In their defense, think they have been doing it like that. Got me on the reasoning. Reward for conference performance I assume.

I don't see the problem with the WCC bracket. You play a whole season. What's wrong with giving the teams who deserve it and were the best in the conference an advantage? If you didn't earn it in the regular season, you really need to earn it in the postseason. I like it.

I don't see the problem with the WCC bracket. You play a whole season. What's wrong with giving the teams who deserve it and were the best in the conference an advantage? If you didn't earn it in the regular season, you really need to earn it in the postseason. I like it.
I’m with you, specifically in leagues that are only 1 bid. WCC has moved past that though.

Top Bottom