Collective glass is less than half empty

Brewster's mouth turning people off is a media fiction. Some people in the media didn't like a Gophers coach being optimistic, that's it. There are just smack talkers lying and using Brewster's alleged "mouth" as an excuse to talk more smack.

Brewster's mouth turning people off is a media fiction. Some people in the media didn't like a Gophers coach being optimistic, that's it. There are just smack talkers lying and using Brewster's alleged "mouth" as an excuse to talk more smack.

Unfortunately many people listen to, and read those media members. Another case where perception is reality.

Look...the point is this: we are all fans on this board (ex-trolls) and I think most people agree that Brew has brought in a lot more talent and speed in his time here. But the undecided fans will not pack the bandwagon until there are more quality wins.

The question is: Do we have the right man in Brew? I'm going to give him some more rope, because I see many positives in the program, and I hope the fans and administration have some patience.

I'm sure you know this, but both of them are in the NFL now. However, the names will change but the commitment to the RUN will elicit similar results.

And as I'm sure you know, my point was that going back 10 years is absolutely meaningless as far as predicting this season's rushing results. It wasn't lack of "commitment" that resulting in a pathetic 100 rushing YPG over the past two seasons. And it wasn't commitment that ran up the gaudy rushing numbers earlier in the decade, it was talent on the OL and in the backfield. That, and better coaching, too.

The people who smack talk about Brewster's alleged "mouth" would have simply found something else to talk smack about if he had not talked optimisticly about the Gophers. The media wasn't much more friendly with Mason either though. They still acted put upon when someone called in and wanted to talk about the Gophers.

Here's my understanding of it all.

Basically the formula changed when Brewster was hired. It was flipped completely upside down.
IMO the drastic change in fan attitudes has very much to do with this change.
No longer is our coach and program under the radar as it was under the previous coach.
Brewster stepped out into the media firestorm and demanded to be paid attention to.

In response, most of the talking heads who had built their careers on either ignoring the gopher football program or slighting it took full aim, the 1-11 season made it worse and an easy punchline requiring no research or effort.
It became a fallback rip that local media could just throw in there any time material was thin, and Brewster continued and still continues to get the word out to pay attention to the program, not a bad thing, just a very risky thing considering the on field results and Brewster's limited resume'.

The fan apathy too stems from the drastic change in philosphy we saw when Brewster was hired.

No longer are comfy non conference blowouts in the stale Metrodome atmosphere able to satiate the hoards of part time and casual fans.
Our zone scheme was unique, and it was something difficult to prepare for and defend against unless you were a well coached or gifted defense with athletic Dlinemen who could beat the cut blocks and make a play. Stop our run like that and the O was done.

In his defense, Brewster had originally planned on keeping the O, trying to hire a then Texans Qb coach Kyle Shannahan as his O coordinator. The Texans' O has been fun to watch the last few years under Shannahan, and employs a zone scheme that would have transitioned easily in 07'. Alas, no. We went with dunbar and his spread.

In addition, the previous lack of recruiting prowess fielded defense after defense that were undersized and slow, the best athletes need to be on defense, they were not. It didn't matter until we went up against a Big Ten opponent, when top athletes were able to stretch and dominate our undertalented defenses.

Now we put emphasis on recruiting athletes and putting them on D, the offense is more balanced and unfortunately has been stricken with serious issues due to a lack of quality linemen and coaching turnover.
Nevertheless, we've seen a shift to a defense and special teams emphasis and an offensive philosophy that is much more standard to college football.
Bottom line: It's not exciting to the casual fans, and there has been nothing to hang the program's hat on like the 1000 yard rushers under the last coach, but in the end it keeps games close and gives us a chance to elevate ourselves, the jump hasn't been made yet though, and our team has struggled to overcome the 05 to 07 talent gap.

I'm incredibly hopeful our young defense will this year become a standout and exciting unit, and individuals become noticed in the local media market. Give fans something to hang their casual gopher hats on like a dominant linebacker or defensive end, and they will start to take notice, in addition win a few high profile games, and the media will have to take notice in a positive way. Get a few fans calling in to discuss a impactful player or game, and the tide turns. Until then, we're going to see apathy and negativity galore amongst uninformed and negative media members and fans.

Here's my understanding of it all.

Basically the formula changed when Brewster was hired. It was flipped completely upside down.
IMO the drastic change in fan attitudes has very much to do with this change.
No longer is our coach and program under the radar as it was under the previous coach.
Brewster stepped out into the media firestorm and demanded to be paid attention to.

In response, most of the talking heads who had built their careers on either ignoring the gopher football program or slighting it took full aim, the 1-11 season made it worse and an easy punchline requiring no research or effort.
It became a fallback rip that local media could just throw in there any time material was thin, and Brewster continued and still continues to get the word out to pay attention to the program, not a bad thing, just a very risky thing considering the on field results and Brewster's limited resume'.

The fan apathy too stems from the drastic change in philosphy we saw when Brewster was hired.

No longer are comfy non conference blowouts in the stale Metrodome atmosphere able to satiate the hoards of part time and casual fans.
Our zone scheme was unique, and it was something difficult to prepare for and defend against unless you were a well coached or gifted defense with athletic Dlinemen who could beat the cut blocks and make a play. Stop our run like that and the O was done.

In his defense, Brewster had originally planned on keeping the O, trying to hire a then Texans Qb coach Kyle Shannahan as his O coordinator. The Texans' O has been fun to watch the last few years under Shannahan, and employs a zone scheme that would have transitioned easily in 07'. Alas, no. We went with dunbar and his spread.

In addition, the previous lack of recruiting prowess fielded defense after defense that were undersized and slow, the best athletes need to be on defense, they were not. It didn't matter until we went up against a Big Ten opponent, when top athletes were able to stretch and dominate our undertalented defenses.

Now we put emphasis on recruiting athletes and putting them on D, the offense is more balanced and unfortunately has been stricken with serious issues due to a lack of quality linemen and coaching turnover.
Nevertheless, we've seen a shift to a defense and special teams emphasis and an offensive philosophy that is much more standard to college football.
Bottom line: It's not exciting to the casual fans, and there has been nothing to hang the program's hat on like the 1000 yard rushers under the last coach, but in the end it keeps games close and gives us a chance to elevate ourselves, the jump hasn't been made yet though, and our team has struggled to overcome the 05 to 07 talent gap.

I'm incredibly hopeful our young defense will this year become a standout and exciting unit, and individuals become noticed in the local media market. Give fans something to hang their casual gopher hats on like a dominant linebacker or defensive end, and they will start to take notice, in addition win a few high profile games, and the media will have to take notice in a positive way. Get a few fans calling in to discuss a impactful player or game, and the tide turns. Until then, we're going to see apathy and negativity galore amongst uninformed and negative media members and fans.

Well said.

And as I'm sure you know, my point was that going back 10 years is absolutely meaningless as far as predicting this season's rushing results. It wasn't lack of "commitment" that resulting in a pathetic 100 rushing YPG over the past two seasons. And it wasn't commitment that ran up the gaudy rushing numbers earlier in the decade, it was talent on the OL and in the backfield. That, and better coaching, too.

Pretty true and yes they were better coached in the schemes and techniques of the running game. That scheme was very successful against teams with less talent or that they met only once, such as in Bowl games. Big Ten teams though, seem to have caught up with it. They were also badly out coached game after game on Defense and once they fell behind they couldn't come back and win.

The Gophers were ripped unmercifully for the weak non-conference schedule. I think too many people are playing into the smack talkers hands. The fan situation isn't anywhere near as dire as the smack talkers would have you believe. It's just that the smack talkers scream loudly. I don't know why, I don't know if they are fans of some other school, or just like to mess with people.

But I can tell you that there are people all over the state sitting on the couch on Saturdays tuning into the Gophers, and thinking they are the only ones around who are at all interested. Gophers football games aren't broadcast on radio all over the state for nothing. If Gophers football were as unpopular as some people would have you believe, these stations would be desperate to get out of their contracts.

I'm not saying that we are as popular as free ice cream. Just that we're not as unpopular as some think.

Pretty true and yes they were better coached in the schemes and techniques of the running game. That scheme was very successful against teams with less talent or that they met only once, such as in Bowl games. Big Ten teams though, seem to have caught up with it. They were also badly out coached game after game on Defense and once they fell behind they couldn't come back and win.

The defense was the missing piece. Those defenses looked bad enough, but factor in that they were supported by such a potent offense, and it shows they were even worse than they looked. If the Gophers were going to win, the offense pretty much had to do it all, but it couldn't do it all, not all of the time.

If Brewster doesn't work out here, part of the reason probably will be from making a too-radical change in the offense. I'd have gone for the triple option myself, it would have been a less radical change, and it's a less obscure offesne, you can always find someone who can coach it.

Based on the way our program has performed over the last 20 years we are lucky the glass isn't bone dry. Very few major football programs have been as pathetic as we have been over the last 4 decades.

20 years? Sure, the 1990's were bad. The 1990 were bookended with two winning seasons, 6-5 in 1990, and 8-4 in 1999. In between, there was one 5-win season, two four-win seasons, three 3-in seasons and two 2-win seasons. A bad decade.

But the past decade was much better than the 1990's. The 2007 season was the second worst (second only to 1993) season in Gophers history, sure. But 7-6 and 6-7 aren't actually horrible records, even if they aren't what we want.

Letting the smack talkers win is like giving yourself a wedgie to save the bullies the trouble instead of standing up to them. There are teams that would be happy to be as good as us, and they don't get dumped on as much as the Gophers do - and their fans don't aid the smack talkers in doing it.

What BCS teams would be happy to trade places with the Gophers over the last 20 years?

Vandy
Baylor
Indiana

Who else? Even Washington State has played in a few major bowl games over the last 20 years.

Assuming you meant 1983?

That 4-7 record in 1993 has really got me burned up. :D

You're right, I meant 1983. Although both the 1983 and 2007 teams won only one game, the 1983 team was regularly blown out, and only once did they lose by a one-score margin, a 31-38 loss to Indiana.

you may not be a troll but you certainly are not a fan. You have nothing but negative things to say about the program even though we have better players than we have had in decades and the program is on the rise and everyone outside of Minnesota can see that.

not sure where you are getting your information from but every publication so far all of which are outside of Minnesota are picking the Gophers to finish last in the B10 this year so your statement here is blantanly false. It would lead one if buying into their theory that the program is actually not on the rise.

I am not saying the Gophers are going to finish last this year and not saying that anyone shouldn't be or want to be optimistic but don't let optimism try and distort what others think of the program because you don't want to believe it.

I don't see a great deal of excessive optimism. I do see a great deal of excessive pessimism.

What BCS teams would be happy to trade places with the Gophers over the last 20 years?

Vandy
Baylor
Indiana

Who else? Even Washington State has played in a few major bowl games over the last 20 years.

UConn
Duke
Mississippi St.
Iowa St.

So the record-embellishment didn't bother you (see below)? This is a bit more than being optimistic and would be grounds for termination in the business world. There is a difference between optimism/enthusiasm and foolishness/deception.

From ESPN.com:

Minnesota coach and former Texas assistant Tim Brewster got himself into some hot water last week when news surfaced about him claiming his record as a head coach and assistant as his coaching record on the Minnesota Web site.

Brewster earlier claimed his career coaching record was 113-61-1, which would be true if you included his record as an assistant and a head coach.

Brewster's current record as a head coach after two seasons at Minnesota is 8-17 with a five-game losing streak heading into the season.

It didn't bother me at all. It was a phony controversy. No one with even minimal reading comprehension actually thought that he was listing his record as a head coach. While how the teams that he was an assistant with did is relevant (before someone denies that, most people would rather higher a coach from a winning program than a losing program), it was a stretch to list those wins with his.

There were a lot of smack talkers who tried to concoct a phony scandal out of it though.

As Julius Caesar said (according to Shakespeare "Cowards die many times before their deaths. The valiant never taste of death but once." Better to be optimistic and disappointed on just a few Saturdays than be pessimistic and have 365 days of it.

So the record-embellishment didn't bother you (see below)? This is a bit more than being optimistic and would be grounds for termination in the business world. There is a difference between optimism/enthusiasm and foolishness/deception.

From ESPN.com:

If you got your fellow Badger fans drunk, admittedly not a very difficult prerequisite, even they wouldn't support you on this. They'd bitch and moan and shout out obscenities, but really, nothing out of the ordinary. :)

not sure where you are getting your information from but every publication so far all of which are outside of Minnesota are picking the Gophers to finish last in the B10 this year so your statement here is blantanly false. It would lead one if buying into their theory that the program is actually not on the rise.

I am not saying the Gophers are going to finish last this year and not saying that anyone shouldn't be or want to be optimistic but don't let optimism try and distort what others think of the program because you don't want to believe it.

I am not talking about magazines that pick where you will finish (a worthless place to find where your program stands) I am talking about other College coaches, NFL coaches, High school Coaches, and commentators like on BTN and ESPN. Those in the know and the people who matter know the program is better today than it was before Brewster was hired. They know Brewster is building it the right way and in a way where success will last.

Yikes - indifference is worse than thinking they are "horrible." Those saying horrible at least care.

I'll bet he actually said "turrible."

I agree. Apathy is one of if not the biggest enemy of Gopher football.

Top Bottom