Cole Jirik Commits

I just noticed the change on scout and rivals still has him listed as uncommited. I thought perhaps he would walk on but congrats to him on a free ride to school.

Leevon Perry, a DE from St. Paul who MN looked at and at one time was a verbal to Iowa State, has also committed to NDSU.

I think we should get used to it. The days of 2* minn kids being great gets for this program are over. Brewster is trying to develop a great walk on program. It's a mud against the wall kind of approach. There's a lot of very good under rated talent in Minnesota, opening the door with a big welcome mat will pay huge dividends. But they won't be offered schollies out of high school.

Earning the scholarship through proven performance is more valuable to the program than offering marginal talent just because he's a home towner. Now every kid who thinks they're good enough, but unrecognized has a chance to prove themselves. And quite frankly what would we know about Jirik without the good end of year performance? How many talented kids never made it that far? How many are on a really crappy high school program? So now all those kids see the possiblity.

Tying up a schollie for four years on a kid that most likely isn't good enough versus inviting a bunch in and giving it to the one that proves himself. It's a no brainer for me.

In the first instance it's a reward for high school recognition, in the second it's a reward for college performance and commitment. Plus I think it'll actually be the carrot that brings in more walk ons. And I think laying out the program helps as well. Now instead of kids thinking we don't want them because they lost the home towner schollie lottery, we're saying the opposite. We're saying we do want them, and we'll reward them for making the choice to be a Gopher.

Brew's made it clear that he wants them and that they will get rewarded for performance. I'm very excited for this part of the program.

I think we should get used to it. The days of 2* minn kids being great gets for this program are over. Brewster is trying to develop a great walk on program. It's a mud against the wall kind of approach. There's a lot of very good under rated talent in Minnesota, opening the door with a big welcome mat will pay huge dividends. But they won't be offered schollies out of high school.

Earning the scholarship through proven performance is more valuable to the program than offering marginal talent just because he's a home towner. Now every kid who thinks they're good enough, but unrecognized has a chance to prove themselves. And quite frankly what would we know about Jirik without the good end of year performance? How many talented kids never made it that far? How many are on a really crappy high school program? So now all those kids see the possiblity.

Tying up a schollie for four years on a kid that most likely isn't good enough versus inviting a bunch in and giving it to the one that proves himself. It's a no brainer for me.

In the first instance it's a reward for high school recognition, in the second it's a reward for college performance and commitment. Plus I think it'll actually be the carrot that brings in more walk ons. And I think laying out the program helps as well. Now instead of kids thinking we don't want them because they lost the home towner schollie lottery, we're saying the opposite. We're saying we do want them, and we'll reward them for making the choice to be a Gopher.

Brew's made it clear that he wants them and that they will get rewarded for performance. I'm very excited for this part of the program.
i really hope that brew n crew have a good scouting process. because it is a lot easier for high schoolers in florida, texas and california to get multiple stars than it is for a minnesota kid. so if the goal is to have a highly ranked recruiting class then we could miss a few deckers and VDSs

We're not ignoring Minnesota, quite the opposite. Look how many of the top 10 kids Brew pulled in. I believe he'll pull in more of the second tier than ever before as well. I'm just saying the second tier isn't going to see a diamond in the rough type schollie. It's a better approach for the program, just not for that one or two lucky kids that Mason might have pulled in. We'll see more Minnesota kids not less.

I remember when Brewster took the job he stated that he wanted to focus on keeping MN kids in state. He really reached out to all of the coaches statewide, to let them know that he wanted to build up the program with some homegrown talent.

Good for Cole, he is a heck of a player.

It was nice to see my cousin's team beat his team though in the championship.

Craig Bohl, HC at NDSU does one heck of a good job. Lost two coordinators to much larger major schools this winter: Official site of NDSU:

http://www.gobison.com/

A walk on pgm is great for Mn. kids. At one time before before Fr. were eligeble Mn. had a Fr. teams alone of 100 kids. Usually only about 45 ended the yr, but they got a good football education and found out if they could play at that level. Alot that couldn't, went to smaller schools and had great careers. Some got scholarships and had good careers as Gophers.

A walk on pgm is great for Mn. kids. At one time before before Fr. were eligeble Mn. had a Fr. teams alone of 100 kids. Usually only about 45 ended the yr, but they got a good football education and found out if they could play at that level. Alot that couldn't, went to smaller schools and had great careers. Some got scholarships and had good careers as Gophers.

If a walk-on program is done to allow for 30 or so walk-ons per year you can really find some gems in there who are late bloomers and just need good coaching to develop it. This was the formula that Tom Osborne used at Nebraska and it allowed him to have 28 walk-ons go on to make the NFL with several of them starting and becoming collegiate all-americans as well.

Cole and leevon will be great for NDSU, especially in 2011 down at TCF.

NDSU also had 2 Wisconsin kids Juckem and Jacobs that turned down Boston College (thats bigger than Minnesota)

Cant wait for 2011..!!

Why do any of us give a rip about NDSU??

Playing them does nothing for us and comparing our recruiting to them also does no good. They aren't in a major conference and they don't compete nationally for elite recruits. The only positive I see is that they will bring in money because they get to come to Minnesota for a weekend and hype up the game as one of the biggest in their season.

In other words, they're like Iowa and Wisconsin, except worse because there isn't even any satisfaction if we win the game. If you're going for bottom line dollars, then yeah, play them. But to schedule them regularly is just stupid.

I kind of care considering they beat us a couple years ago.

Yeah, I can understand that. But that was two years ago on a Gopher team sorely lacking in talent, experience and a whole new coaching staff and scheme.

We made major strides this year and hopefully, we'll continue to make steps forward from here on. As to what happened with NDSU two years ago, I couldn't care less...

I kind of care considering they beat us a couple years ago.

So did Bowling Green and Florida Atlantic in non-conference. Look at what happened when we played them last year. It will be satisfying laying a smack down on them (which is sad because they shouldn't even be able to compete with us). The stars were aligned two years ago. Not anymore.

NDSU also had 2 Wisconsin kids Juckem and Jacobs that turned down Boston College (thats bigger than Minnesota)

Hahahahahaha, I'm sure they turned down BC for Fargo ND, hahahahaha, good one little buddy.

from wissports.net

Justin Juckem

Supposedly , he suffered a concusion at Wisconsin's camp. I think Juckem, would appear one of the next people in line if Wisky offers another in-state scholarship in the 2009 class.

Some tidbits:

Juckem, who currently holds offers from Boston College, Washington State, North Dakota State and Army. "They (Wisconsin) showed me a lot of interest early on in the recruiting process and we'll just have to see what happens.

who cares? i would take lair and hageman any day of the week. juckem is not even from minnesota and if he were going to come to the gophs it would have been as a walk on

Wait a minute! Hold the phone!

NDSU got a guy who had an offer from Washington St? Wazzuu?

Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod!!!!

(That's like scoring the hottest waitress at Denny's.) Thanks for updating us on that one Lakesbian.

There is obviously something wrong with the kid if he chose ndsu over Boston college. Nobody in there right mind would do that.

Wait a minute...North Dakota has a college? No way! Do they even have secondary education yet?

Top Bottom