Coaching success

Reaction score
Success for any coaching staff is continuity, consistency, longevity and knowledge, pretty much in that order. Captain obvious knows this as we all do. The people who do seem to get this philosophy are Coyle and Fleck. I give all the props deserved for last year and the Bowl win, the energy and excitement. But, we will not and cannot beat Iowa and Wisconsin when it really counts, like it did last year, unless we achieve the above conditions. Beating our rivals is #1 and the rest takes care of itself.
My advice to Coyle and Fleck is to make it a priority to establish the same quality staff profiles and systems our rivals have like I mentioned. Fleck is an elite recruiter and motivator, stick with that and find a staff to coach. Soften up the ego a bit, both guys should do that.

Success for any coaching staff is continuity, consistency, longevity and knowledge, pretty much in that order. Captain obvious knows this as we all do. The people who do seem to get this philosophy are Coyle and Fleck. I give all the props deserved for last year and the Bowl win, the energy and excitement. But, we will not and cannot beat Iowa and Wisconsin when it really counts, like it did last year, unless we achieve the above conditions. Beating our rivals is #1 and the rest takes care of itself.
My advice to Coyle and Fleck is to make it a priority to establish the same quality staff profiles and systems our rivals have like I mentioned. Fleck is an elite recruiter and motivator, stick with that and find a staff to coach. Soften up the ego a bit, both guys should do that.
What are you getting at? MN doesn't have a long history of successful alumni lining up to coach here. Wisconsin has that and their AD started it all.

Fleck can't hire his son yet, and doesn't have a 2nd generation DC to carry on that tradition like Iowa.

Fleck has been a head coach for 8 seasons. He's 39 and still growing. If Fleck sticks around and continues to build maybe he will grow that type of program.

You don't think that is what Coyle and Fleck are working toward?

The program has been on a rebuild for over 10 years. Everyone is trying their best, PJF has had a revolving door with all of his assistant coaches, why is that? It is not the facilities, they have brand new everything.

The program has been on a rebuild for over 10 years. Everyone is trying their best, PJF has had a revolving door with all of his assistant coaches, why is that? It is not the facilities, they have brand new everything.

Coaches moving on to better jobs should be celebrated.

PJ had a chance to get Sherrels on board and he passed. The culture of Wisconsin and Iowa is centered not on the coach but the university. If you coach for Fleck you better understand that he is the show. Too much coaching turnover on defense undermines that consistency.

PJ had a chance to get Sherrels on board and he passed. The culture of Wisconsin and Iowa is centered not on the coach but the university. If you coach for Fleck you better understand that he is the show. Too much coaching turnover on defense undermines that consistency.

For free?

I was at a camp a few years ago and I found it funny that all players shirts said PJF football camp, rather then the Univeristy of Minnesota football camp.

I was at a camp a few years ago and I found it funny that all players shirts said PJF football camp, rather then the Univeristy of Minnesota football camp.

Aren't most of the camps like that?

Like most every camp I've seen heavily focuses on the coaches who will be there, and not really the school unless they're a big name school.

Like most every camp I've seen heavily focuses on the coaches who will be there, and not really the school unless they're a big name school.
Every camp I have ever seen is named after the school.

Not counting the two year Gary Andersen experiment -- in which he went 13-3 in conference - Wisconsin has had:

Alvarez 1990-2005 (16 seasons) - 65-60-3 in Big Ten - 3 Rose Bowl wins & top 12 finishes (93, 98, 99)
Bielema 2006-2012 (7 seasons) - 37-12 in Big Ten - 2 legit Rose Bowls (both losses) & top 12 finishes (2010,11) + top 12 finish (no Rose Bowl, went to Michigan instead) (2006)
Chryst 2015-2020 (6 seasons) - 36-10 in Big Ten - 3 top 12 finishes and NY6 bowl games (2016, 17, 19)

And it seems 2020 is shaping up to be similar to 2017 for Wisc.

Wisc is just getting better. The only thing they can't do is beat Ohio St in the championship game.

I don't believe his health would allow him to be on board with us. I believe everyone would love to have him. Sherrels need to continue to work for better health. He doesn't need the stress of coaching compounding his health.

You truly believe people as detail oriented as Coyle and Fleck do not do this? You haven't heard Fleck talk numerous times about getting the consistency of Iowa and Wisconsin? How quick do you believe it happens? Man, Flecks just starting to really get the recruiting wheel going. He's shown he can develop guys, he hit a speed bump of two bad classes in a row. That will kill anyone minus Alabama. Our young guys are athletic and lets see if they continue to get better. They didn't have the luxury of making their mistakes against cupcakes. They had to learn against other B1G teams.

I attended the the U's camp while Holtz was the coach. The t-shirt was "Minneosta Football".

Go to PJ Fleck football camp = Get a Row The Boat T-Shirt

Go to Univ of Minnesota camp = Get a ski-u-mah shirt? What the heck is ski-u-mah?

I don't believe his health would allow him to be on board with us. I believe everyone would love to have him. Sherrels need to continue to work for better health. He doesn't need the stress of coaching compounding his health.

Yeah, the way I have heard it is that Mike really wanted a job on the staff, but PJ had other people in mind and wanted to go in another direction. Not sure how much/if that was health related, but Mike has subsequently agreed that he isn't/wasn't up to the demands of such a position at that time.

Yeah, the way I have heard it is that Mike really wanted a job on the staff, but PJ had other people in mind and wanted to go in another direction. Not sure how much/if that was health related, but Mike has subsequently agreed that he isn't/wasn't up to the demands of such a position at that time.
CFB coaching / staff is a hard job ... even for a healthy person.

Iowa and Wisconsin have double the budget for assistant coaches. Maybe that has something to do with it? Or is every issue due to Fleck's ego? Leonard makes like a mil a year, Parker makes like 600K. Rossi is at 400K. Gets tough to keep guys when other schools will throw out more money.

Iowa and Wisconsin have double the budget for assistant coaches. Maybe that has something to do with it? Or is every issue due to Fleck's ego? Leonard makes like a mil a year, Parker makes like 600K. Rossi is at 400K. Gets tough to keep guys when other schools will throw out more money.

Every issue is ... other fan's ego unable to handle someone who uses slightly weirder terms than they're used to... and that's apparently other people's problem ;)

This conumdron will be resolved on the football field and not on the internet.
If Fleck fields non competitive teams like this one he will be gone.
If he beats IA and WI consistently and plays in the BIG championship he will stay.
Mediocrity will not do it because when you are being paid like he is you have to deliver the goods.
i find him odious but there are obviously those who love the guy.

WI & IA caught lightning in a bottle with legacy coaches Alvarez & Fry and had the AD support to back it up. No other B1G team has been able to replicate that model, so it's obviously not easy to do. I believe Coyle & Fleck are trying to build that here, but it takes time. It's become a punchline, but Fleck's zigzag graph is exactly that idea.

With all the options, how many star players are going to want to come for a system that does not constantly play at a high level?

This conumdron will be resolved on the football field and not on the internet.
If Fleck fields non competitive teams like this one he will be gone.
If he beats IA and WI consistently and plays in the BIG championship he will stay.
Mediocrity will not do it because when you are being paid like he is you have to deliver the goods.
i find him odious but there are obviously those who love the guy.

A middle of the road big10 salary?

With all the options, how many star players are going to want to come for a system that does not constantly play at a high level?

Obviously it is difficult to get stars to come to a program that hasn't established a winning tradition yet. Takes a great recruiter, great coaching, player development, a great eye for undervalued recruits, and some luck would help.

" Fleck has been a head coach for 8 seasons. He's 39 and still growing. If Fleck sticks around and continues to build maybe he will grow that type of program. "

He ain't going anywhere. This could be his town. Money is not always the answer for coaching. get some guys that will stay for awhile and build success and then at some point they can move on if they want. Success is rewarded however.

Top Bottom