Coaching candidates

gruden would also be my choice. he has a ton of fire and nobody would transfer if he was named the future coach. I have to believe he could be a beast of a recruiter. and he can coach defense! something we haven't seen since the 1999 penn st game! I think we throw out as much money as it takes to get him. we can hire a mid major guy or a good d1aa but if this season gets worse we need a sure thing to keep the stadium full and I think gruden could do that!

Gruden is an offense guy (West Coast to be more specific), he does not coach defense. he would have to bring in a defensive mind.

Have the Gophers ever produced a head coaching candidate in recent memory beside Bud Grant, Tony Dungy, DeWayne Walker? You'd figure we could produce an alum who wants to live and coach here, is anyone out there as a coordinator? Don't mention the arena league coach.

The late Bud Wilkinson. Oh. . .you said recent memory.

Have the Gophers ever produced a head coaching candidate in recent memory beside Bud Grant, Tony Dungy, DeWayne Walker? You'd figure we could produce an alum who wants to live and coach here, is anyone out there as a coordinator? Don't mention the arena league coach.

Joe Salem.

Joe Salem.

Tim Salem.

Oops. Tim transferred and graduated from Arizona State. I would say Trestman, but he transferred for his senior year as well.

How about doctors, dentists, and lawyers? We've got a lot of M-Clubbers in those professions.

Marc Trestman gets a mention at least once a week by Sid....

Josh Heupel! He was mentioned a few times as offesive coordinator candidate... Aberdeen native.... Assistant Coach and Quarterback coach with Oklahoma....

Hire Oklahoma's D-Coordinator Venables and hope Heupel comes with, that's my #1 candidate.
If it works, Venables might be in line to take over for Stoops in 5 years, Heupel could take the job over here. He's too green for a HC job right now though.

Hire Oklahoma's D-Coordinator Venables and hope Heupel comes with, that's my #1 candidate.
If it works, Venables might be in line to take over for Stoops in 5 years, Heupel could take the job over here. He's too green for a HC job right now though.

Maybe green, maybe not... Look at Pat Fitzgerald from Northwestern as an example....

Josh Heupel! He was mentioned a few times as offesive coordinator candidate... Aberdeen native.... Assistant Coach and Quarterback coach with Oklahoma....

Nearly all of Heupel's family lives in Oklahoma(parents, sister, etc.) and he is married to a Oklahoma girl so the Aberdeen connection isn't really there anymore

Maybe green, maybe not... Look at Pat Fitzgerald from Northwestern as an example....

Fair enough, just compared wikipedia files on the 2. 8 years coaching previous to Fitzgerald taking over, 7 currently for Heupel.

I love his potential as a HC, love that he's been quoted as a Foggie fan growing up in SoDak.
I just would hate to see another first time coach come in with positive energy and big expectations get hammered while trying to find his way.

Fair enough, just compared wikipedia files on the 2. 8 years coaching previous to Fitzgerald taking over, 7 currently for Heupel.

I love his potential as a HC, love that he's been quoted as a Foggie fan growing up in SoDak.
I just would hate to see another first time coach come in with positive energy and big expectations get hammered while trying to find his way.

for sure! How fitz got his job was another whole different situation too... The thing about Heupel or Fitz or someone like them, is that they usually break into head coaching at a lower level and success at a lower level does not guarantee success at D1 level... and vice versa....

I'm looking for the next JoPa... young and smart with connections with the program who wants to stay here forever.... Maybe Sauter could be that guy... who knows...??

As long as its a wish list

And the critera are they must have successful Head Coaching Experience, we have the budget for staff to come with the candidate, and the administration signs off on Ego.

Here are my candidates:

Terry Bowden with his ego, Northern Alabama is nowhere. The man can flat out coach. And this is the Big 10.

Ken Niumatalolo from Navy.

Kevin Sumlin

Tommy Tuberville from Texas Tech. I have been to Lubbock.

Troy Calhoun

Mike Leach

There are enough qualified candidates to make the search fairly simple. The University however will make it search committe adventure.

We need to insist that its a head coach with winning experience. Some will have warts, the proven ability to win is what we need and want.

-Richt

Failing that

-Edsall, Golden, Shiano,

Failing any of those

-Whittingham, Calhoun, Sumlin

Failing any of those

-Mike Sula, either Bowden brother, see if Bellotti wants back in, see if Lloyd Carr feels spry (he's a spring chicken compared to Schnellenburger (sp) at FAU)

-Richt

Failing that

-Edsall, Golden, Shiano,

Failing any of those

-Whittingham, Calhoun, Sumlin

Failing any of those

-Mike Sula, either Bowden brother, see if Bellotti wants back in, see if Lloyd Carr feels spry (he's a spring chicken compared to Schnellenburger (sp) at FAU)

Curious as to why you put Whittingham in your third tier. He has a better record than anyone on your list, and will be a BCS head coach starting next season.

I think you guys need to think about Mark Trestman. His CFL contract ends in Nov. and he is a hometown boy who could really help the program . He has the HC experence now and has been successful in the CFL. Plus the Minnesoya job would be a pay raise I am sure. He recently wrote a book and his attiude and coaching style will get the best out of what he has right now.

Remember he was the runner up for the HC job here, but "GOPHER NATION BREW" gave everyone enough BS and told them what they wanted to hear. We wasted four years with his BS.

Plus the Minnesoya job would be a pay raise I am sure. He recently wrote a book

I'd like a pay raise, and I pinky swear to write a book before next season. Can I be the next coach?

Curious as to why you put Whittingham in your third tier. He has a better record than anyone on your list, and will be a BCS head coach starting next season.

Golden, Edsall and Schiano had to build programs from nothing. All Whittingham had to do was not screw up what Urban Meyer had already done. I'm not saying he's a bad choice, but Minnesota currently more closely resembles UConn 1999, Temple 2007, etc. then it does BCS-bound Utah. Also, because Utah will be in the Pac-10 starting next year, he's probably less likely to take the job then other 3 anyway.

Golden, Edsall and Schiano had to build programs from nothing. All Whittingham had to do was not screw up what Urban Meyer had already done. I'm not saying he's a bad choice, but Minnesota currently more closely resembles UConn 1999, Temple 2007, etc. then it does BCS-bound Utah. Also, because Utah will be in the Pac-10 starting next year, he's probably less likely to take the job then other 3 anyway.

Golden will not take the job when he has a excellent shot of getting the Penn State job.

Golden will not take the job when he has a excellent shot of getting the Penn State job.

You could say the same thing about Edsall and Schiano, but they can't all have the vaunted Penn State job. And when will it be open? Sure, it seems inevitable it will be soon, but we'd have thought the same thing 5 years ago. The reality is that if Joe Pa doesn't retire after this year and MN comes calling, I think any of the 3 would be crazy not to consider it. And if he does retire at least the two that don't get it may finally be receptive to what else is out there.

No they can't all get it, but they can all wait for it in hopes of getting it. Sadly, I think many of us overvalue how attractive the Minnesota job is.

No they can't all get it, but they can all wait for it in hopes of getting it. Sadly, I think many of us overvalue how attractive the Minnesota job is.

Quite the opposite. Outside of the few dillusional souls who think we can get Dungy, Harbough or Gruden, I think many here under-value it. We're still in the Big 10. We still have a new stadium. We've still been to 6 Bowl Games this decade. Bottom-line is that this is a better job then the Dukes, Indianas, Vanderbilts and Washington State's of the world. More importantly, it's better than UConn and Rutgers and it's still a million miles ahead of Temple. If we can offer a legitimate raise to go along with it, there's no reason we can't land one of these 3 guys, or Calhoun, Sumlin, etc. If Sid is right and Mason and Brew are going to tell coaches how awful it is, then that's a signficant road-block. Though if Brew were to do that, it would be the ulitmate hypocrosy.

I think that people undervalue the job more than overvalue it. People act like this is the Duke job.

while I may be half-joking when I say this, but how about Denny Green? But as a state, don't we love Denny Green?

Top Bottom