Coaching at Young Age

tjgopher

Reaction score
I know ahead of time this is an apples and oranges comparison, but just some perspective on those concerned with Richard Pitino's age. Here are the really, really successful college basketball coaches in history (along with Big Ten contemporaries) and what their ages were when they got their first D-I job and what their ages were when they got their first "power school" or NBA or similar job:

Bob Knight - 25 yrs old (Army)/31 yrs old (Indiana)
Rick Pitino - 26 yrs old (Boston)/32 yrs old (Providence)
Jim Valvano - 26 yrs old (Bucknell)/34 yrs old (NC State)
Coach K - 28 yrs old (Army)/33 yrs old (Duke)
Adolph Rupp - 29 yrs old (Kentucky)
Billy Donovan - 29 yrs old (Marshall)/31 yrs old (Florida)
John Calipari - 29 yrs old (UMass)/36 yrs (NJ Nets)
Ray Meyer - 29 yrs old (DePaul)
Brad Stevens - 29 yrs old (Butler)
RICHARD PITINO - 29 yrs old (FIU)/30 yrs old (Minnesota)
Dean Smith - 30 yrs old (UNC)
Jim Calhoun - 30 yrs old (Northeastern)/46 yrs old (UConn)
John Thompson - 31 yrs old (Georgetown)
Bill Self - 31 yrs old (Oral Roberts)/Illinois 37 yrs old (Illinois)
Bob Huggins - 31 yrs old (Akron)/36 yrs old (Cincinnati)
Jim Boeheim - 32 yrs old (Syracuse)
Eddie Sutton - 33 yrs old (Creighton)/38 yrs old (Arkansas)
Thad Matta - 33 yrs old (Butler)/38 yrs old (OSU)
Tom Crean - 33 yrs old (Marquette)/42 yrs old (Ind)
Matt Painter - 33 yrs old (SIU)/35 yrs old (Purdue)
Denny Crum - 34 yrs old (Louisville)
Lute Olson - 35 yrs old (Long Beach)/40 yrs old (Iowa)
Rick Majerus - 35 yrs old (Marquette)
John Wooden - 36 yrs old (Indiana State)/38 yrs old (UCLA)
John Groce - 36 yrs old (Ohio)/41 yrs old (Illinois)
Roy Williams - 37 yrs old (Kansas)
Tom Izzo - 40 yrs old (MSU)

Almost quite literally, ALL great coaches started in when they were young. This post is not intended to say Richard Pitino is headed for greatness (I really have no way of knowing, nor does anyone else). This post does, however, indicate if he is headed for greatness, he is in fact only slightly ahead of the curve and age should not be a hindrance on his way to greatness should he arrive there.

Obviously the MN opportunity was now, but I think NT jumped at the chance at getting Coach Pitino because another year or two of success and there would be a whole lot more competition for him. NT and Ellis are BB guys and know what to look for.

I also suspect with Kaler and NT, there is going to be a whole new business as usual. They do not seem restricted by MN nice and will make the tough decisions.

Obviously the MN opportunity was now, but I think NT jumped at the chance at getting Coach Pitino because another year or two of success and there would be a whole lot more competition for him. NT and Ellis are BB guys and know what to look for.

I also suspect with Kaler and NT, there is going to be a whole new business as usual. They do not seem restricted by MN nice and will make the tough decisions.

Just for the sake of argument...if Teague and Ellis are wrong and pitino fails, would they still be basketball guys and know what to look for? People on gopherhole are bragging up Teague and Ellis the way patriot fans talk about belichick. It's a little overboard IMO, before we praise these guys lets give pitino a few yrs and see where we are at. I'm already getting the sense unfair expectations are being out on pitino and it could get really ugly early

Just for the sake of argument...if Teague and Ellis are wrong and pitino fails, would they still be basketball guys and know what to look for? People on gopherhole are bragging up Teague and Ellis the way patriot fans talk about belichick. It's a little overboard IMO, before we praise these guys lets give pitino a few yrs and see where we are at. I'm already getting the sense unfair expectations are being out on pitino and it could get really ugly early

Lets just say I would rather have NT and Ellis make an educated guess more than the average fan. Most MN fans (myself included) were excited about the Tubby hire...who knows how it will ultimately work out. They had parameters they were working with and found someone that seemed to fit what they were looking for, though lacking some experience. They jumped the gun a little, but circumstances and ideals rarely mess together.

Lets just say I would rather have NT and Ellis make an educated guess more than the average fan. Most MN fans (myself included) were excited about the Tubby hire...who knows how it will ultimately work out. They had parameters they were working with and found someone that seemed to fit what they were looking for, though lacking some experience. They jumped the gun a little, but circumstances and ideals rarely mess together.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm speaking truthfully. I'm way more excited about this hire than I was the Tubby hire when it occurred. Tubby's career arc was visibly declining when he sought refuge at Minnesota, while we're seemingly catching a rising star here. High risk, but well worth the risk.

These comparisons are for fun but Pat Summit was 22 when she was named the Tennessee coach.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom