Coaches to Watch

Picked her (Fralick) early on, my only thought will be if she can recruit at the big ten level. Her coaching skills are not an issue.

Yeah, I thought that as well. Maybe totality of her experience overcomes this, who knows.
Wait..do people actually think the online "job listing" is the real criteria? I thought you guys were memeing lmao. It's just a standard boilerplate coach listing that they have to put up, the actual choice doesn't have to fit a single damn thing on that list.

Wait..do people actually think the online "job listing" is the real criteria? I thought you guys were memeing lmao. It's just a standard boilerplate coach listing that they have to put up, the actual choice doesn't have to fit a single damn thing on that list.
Good to know. I guess it's now WIDE open. Git 'er done Coyle!

My top 6 at this moment from all the posts and reads would be:

1) Fred Chmiel
2) Lindy La Rocque
3) Carla Berube
4) Jim Flanery
5) Megan Duffy
6) Dawn Plitzuweit

Not sure how that can be the case since the job listing specifically says 6 years as a D1 head coach. She is in year 5.
Was the 6 year a ”required” qualification or desired qualification. One is iron clad the other is flexible. That is how the U and many places differentiate.

Picked her (Fralick) early on, my only thought will be if she can recruit at the big ten level. Her coaching skills are not an issue.
That sounds like the exact opposite of what the Gophers just went through with Whalen. Ideally, you would want to hire someone who is a slam dunk in both areas. But if forced to choose one or the other, I would lean towards someone who has proven they can coach.

I have to assume that Coyle hasn’t already hired the next coach due to potential hires still working through the NCAA tournament?

I have to assume that Coyle hasn’t already hired the next coach due to potential hires still working through the NCAA tournament?
I agree, I think some of the coaches they want to interview are in NCAA tournament.

100% correct.

They’re legally required to post it externally, I believe. Probably get a couple goofballs who apply just for giggles.

Any serious candidate will already have been vetted and had informal talks about the position before actually applying.

We’ll obviously not formally hired.

But for example with Fleck, he had already tried hiring him at Syracuse the year before. Already knew him, already knew he wanted him.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he had already had a short list and been researching and using back channels to put feelers out, some time ago.

Coaching Update: (only stuff that has been confirmed by multiple sources)

This is what I have been hearing/confirmed. This might not mean anything but this is what is known.

Coaches that can confirm HAVE been interviewed for first round interviews:

Megan Duffy - Marquette
Kristen Gillespie- Illinois State
Carla Berube- Princeton

Names that have either had initial talks with Coyle or he has inquired about (unable to confirm if they will or have done first round interviews)

Lisa Fortier - Gonzaga
Lynne Roberts- Utah
Robyn Fralick- Bowling Green

-Coyle has met with players and their families to discuss the process. I've heard Duffy is a favorite among players (especially 2022s) as Amaya and Nia had offers from her at Marquette and Heyer had talks with her at Marquette.

-Confirmed with requirements on job posting, it does not seem Coyle is looking to go a "cheap route" He will spend to try and get the coach he wants.

-IT WILL BE A FEMALE. Every single sign points to this being a female coach. MOVE ON AARON JOHNSTON CREW.

-It's not a hard and fast rule but general thought is that announcement is hoping to be around or shortly after the Final Four weekend. It could be pushed back.

Specifically on Duffy- A Pitt newspaper confirmed Duffy has interviewed in round 1 for the Pitt Job Opening. I also would expect her to be a name that Michigan State will likely make a call. I've also heard from a few people with connections to coaches that there is an expectation Marquette job will be open here shortly. Do what you will with that information.

Last edited:

This is what I have been hearing/confirmed. This might not mean anything but this is what is know.

Coaches that can confirm HAVE been interviewed in for first round interviews:

Megan Duffy - Marquette
Carla Berube- Princeton

Names that have either had initial talks with Coyle or he has inquired about (unable to confirm if they will or have does first round interviews)

Lisa Fortier - Gonzaga
Lynne Roberts- Utah

-Coyle has met with players and their families to discuss the process. I've heard Duffy is a favorite among players (especially 2022s) as Amaya and Nia had offers from her at Marquette and Heyer had talks with her at Marquette.

-Confirmed with requirements on job posting, it does not seem Coyle is looking to go a "cheap route" He will spend to try and get the coach he wants.

-IT WILL BE A FEMALE. Every single sign has points to this being a female coach. MOVE ON AARON JOHNSTON CREW.

-It's not a hard and fast rule but general thought is that announcement is hoping to be around or shortly after the Final Four weekend. It could be pushed back.

Specifically on Duffy- A Pitt newspaper confirmed Duffy has interviewed in round 1 for the Pitt Job Opening. I also would expect her to be a name that Michigan State will likely make a call. I've also heard from a few people with connections to coaches that there is an expectation Marquette job will be open here shortly. Do what you will with that information.
Great information. Thank you

This is what I have been hearing/confirmed. This might not mean anything but this is what is known.

Megan Duffy - Marquette
Carla Berube- Princeton

Names that have either had initial talks with Coyle or he has inquired about (unable to confirm if they will or have done first round interviews)

Lisa Fortier - Gonzaga
Lynne Roberts- Utah

-IT WILL BE A FEMALE. Every single sign points to this being a female coach. MOVE ON AARON JOHNSTON CREW.

Thanks for the info. I’d guess a hire is happening before final four weekend (unless the team is in it that we hired). Some coaching staffs get put together there.

Last edited:

Megan Duffy - Marquette
Carla Berube- Princeton

Lisa Fortier - Gonzaga
Lynne Roberts- Utah

Like all of these names on this list. Duffy having played for the Lynx, at least she is a little bit familiar with this area, and that would be something in common with the previous coach. The fact some of the current players know her and like her is a good thing. I don't think the Gophers are planning on cheeping out on this hire. They want a quality coach that can bring in top talent. I think Coyle understands this program has the ability to sell tickets and bring in good talent. Wonder if anything else will come out of the woodwork at the State Tournament this week on the coaching situation? Wonder if Doogie will run with bball crazy _31 reporting on twitter or on the 5.

Megan Duffy - Marquette
Carla Berube- Princeton

Lisa Fortier - Gonzaga
Lynne Roberts- Utah

My gosh, thank you for this info!!!

Duffy would be another Oldfield hire, and I mean that in a good way. Part of that comes from knowing she's a player favorite--the same way Brenda has an engaging and magnetic personality. I'm guessing there will be competition for her, and Coyle seems competitive by nature. I hope that, if it comes down to compensation, he's inclined to pony up. Such a hire will pay for itself.

Megan Duffy - Marquette
Carla Berube- Princeton

Lisa Fortier - Gonzaga
Lynne Roberts- Utah

Sincere thanks from one of the Aaron Johnston crew !

McDuffy and Roberts I like the most of that group, since they have proven themselves at a P6 job already.

McDuffy and Roberts I like the most of that group, since they have proven themselves at a P6 job already.
Duffy, just a correction she played point guard for Lynx one season. I like Fralick too but have a feeling she will be after the MSU job. Robert's the Utah coach would be a real win too.

Sincere thanks from one of the Aaron Johnston crew !
Its probably Duffy's for the taking.. Duffy has a great personality, I'm sure thats why the 2022's like her, she can connect.
but I do find it strange she hasnt landed anybody of significance at Marquette, those are Kiegers players.

Its probably Duffy's for the taking.. Duffy has a great personality, I'm sure thats why the 2022's like her, she can connect.
but I do find it strange she hasnt landed anybody of significance at Marquette, those are Kiegers players.
You mean like Emily La Chapell the top 2022 in Wisconsin and Minnesota's own Liza Karlen who are both starters?!

Agreed- proven winners!! Hearing that some of the players know / like Duffy would give her the edge for me. That n I’m a life time ND fan…..Coyle needs 2 get this hire right !

I have not been following this thread but Doogie Wolfson just reported that the West Virginia coach and Colorado coach were high on Coyle's list!

I have not been following this thread but Doogie Wolfson just reported that the West Virginia coach and Colorado coach were high on Coyle's list!
Dawn would have a HUGE buy out as she just signed a long term deal in WV..

Top Bottom