Coaches to Watch

Did Scalia go into any specifics? That's very vague.

This is a later interview when she returned to Minnesota.

“I think a few things went into it, especially as far as Minnesota,” Scalia said last week. “We had a lot of players either graduating or transferring; that was a big factor.”

I am speculating that all players want to feel they are receiving winning basketball and a culture of winning basketball. Some distractions are fine -- and expected -- to a point while at the same time the team last season started the season looking off and not focused.

I don't know the reasons for all the departures. We only have these clues. I'm going to guess the hyping of the Fab Four plus a program that looked like an unfocused joke at times were some of it.

Anyway, while we should be free of bias in assessing things, free of gender and color for example, this program is probably a woman's job firmly, a third rail you just don't touch due to the history of this program in the movement. And also I want to emphasize means for all women. All girls.

I have posted about that history before several times.

Banhem will need to look for another Director of Quality Control job.
Not necessarily there where people that were here with Pitino that stayed with Johnson… Ryan Livingston and another guy

What about Fred Chmiel? 45 year old, former Minnesota assistant, lot of coaching experience including Big Ten (Minnesota and Penn State Assistant spurts), advanced scout for WNBA, and now last 8 with National Champs South Carolina. Would he have interest? Why isn't his name being mentioned?

Summarizing what's already available in these threads:
1. The U already has too many male mentor/coaches for women's teams.
2. He has accepted, then at the last minute rejected, jobs in the past.
3. His roster is diverse only in the sense that he occasionally lands a brunette to go with the blondes.
4. I, personally, have a long memory of his clock shenanigans to steal a game in the Borton years.
I believe that game with clock issues was in Williams. Did someone from SDSU run the clock ? And those lily white teams have managed to beat the racially diverse Gopher rosters at least 4 times in a row if my memory is correct.

I believe that game with clock issues was in Williams. Did someone from SDSU run the clock ? And those lily white teams have managed to beat the racially diverse Gopher rosters at least 4 times in a row if my memory is correct.

It was the first year of replay. SDSU hit a game winning layup after the clock hit triple zero. During the review the SDSU bench was where the Gopher bench is now-adjacent to the review area. Johnston participated demonstrably in the review and convinced the officials that the shot was released before the LED lights came on which was irrelevent because of the triple zeros. Yes, the referees were at fault; but Johnston's jackassian behavior left an impression.

The NCAA agreed and supposedly adjusted the RPI accordingly; but the loss remained.

I think the diversity issue is a good question to ask him in his interview. You want to make sure that the parties' values line up. This is definitely a community and institution that values a diverse society. I don't see this as a disqualifier...unless you get some strange answer from him that makes you go, hmmmmm.

He's been there for a long time. He's had more diverse teams, right?

It was the first year of replay. SDSU hit a game winning layup after the clock hit triple zero. During the review the SDSU bench was where the Gopher bench is now-adjacent to the review area. Johnston participated demonstrably in the review and convinced the officials that the shot was released before the LED lights came on which was irrelevent because of the triple zeros. Yes, the referees were at fault; but Johnston's jackassian behavior left an impression.

The NCAA agreed and supposedly adjusted the RPI accordingly; but the loss remained.
That's exactly the same thing that happened to the Badger men in Madison a number of years ago. The refs in that case knew the rules and made the right call (against Wisconsin).

I think the diversity issue is a good question to ask him in his interview. You want to make sure that the parties' values line up. This is definitely a community and institution that values a diverse society. I don't see this as a disqualifier...unless you get some strange answer from him that makes you go, hmmmmm.

Lexi Alexander from the Twin Cities area was on the team for 4 years, and there have been a handful of other diverse players. It would definitely be a question to be asked. One thing to consider in this discussion is the areas that are prime recruiting areas for SDSU. They do recruit Minnesota hard, but after that it's South and North Dakota, western Iowa and Nebraska. Not many diverse players to evaluate. Recruiting would be one of the areas where AJ might fall short, only because he would have to greatly expand his recruiting footprint to areas where he is not currently involved.

Again, sounds like more of a clock operator and officiating issue. I guess I would be glad to have a coach who is going to advocate and do what they can for their team. The fact that the officials didn't tell him to back off wasn't his fault. Be honest - if the situation was reversed and a Gopher coach got a call to win a game, you likely wouldn't be calling them a jackass.

I read somewhere Johnston is very visible on the AAU circuit in Minnesota and entire Midwest. Seems he already has good Minnesota connections which is good. Minnesota girls basketball guru, Grant McGinnis, sated the importance of hiring a person with a connection to Minnesota basketball. I hope the man gets an interview

Okay here is a few things to make sure to understand with this coaching search.

Megan Duffy- She has a good thing going at Marquette so this is likely a situation where they have to really pay a lot and likely over what is making now at Marquette and maybe even what Whalen was making ($600,000/year) here. Also.. she could use this interview not as an actual candidate but more so as a reason to demand more money from Marquette if they wanna keep her. After a win this year against Uconn and Texas, fair to say she would deserve it.

Kristen Gillespie- With some thoughts that Northwestern could possibly be opening soon, she might go for the job in the state she already has made inroads at and it's still in the Big Ten.

Aaron Johnston- Stop. Full Stop. This is disaster written all over it. He isn't leaving SDSU. Gophers will not hire a male and frankly I'm okay with it. Like Muffet McGraw said.. "if 95% of the jobs in MBB go to Men, why shouldn't 95% of the jobs go to Women?"There is plenty of strong Female candidates. Stop wasting time with this name.

Also with Pitt job open, Columbia, Princeton or Rhode Island coach could possibly stay on the east for a power five job.

Assistants names to Remember:

-Erin Batth- Michigan Assistant (was lead recruiter who got Sophie Hart to NC State while she was there)
-Karen Blair- Maryland Associate Head Coach (She is the MN recruiter for Maryland)
-Calamity McEntire- Illinois Associate Head Coach (Stops at Texas/Illinois, could be looking to break into Head Coach job

Did anyone notice how diverse Iowa’s team looks? Don’t see anyone questioning their coach. To me it’s more related to where your recruiting area.

This list is simply something to keep in mind as the season progresses on. If and is a HUGEEEE IF Whalen steps aside or is relied of duties, these are some of the names I would expect to possibly be on Coyle’s list. Also, Minnesota is always going to hire a Female coach, so I didn’t bother putting Male coaches on the list. I am also in way saying I think she should or will be gone next year. I’m also not saying she won’t, this is simply a running tap we can keep if or when the job opens up.

Head Coaches:

Megan Duffy- Marquette (4 years)

2019-2020 (24-8) Made NCAA (NCAA Cancelled due to Covid)

2020-2021 (17-4) NCAA First Round

2021-2022 (23-11)

2022-2023 (16-8) Currently

*Defeated UConn 59-52 in 4th season
*Played at Notre Dame/Two Seasons for Minnesota Lynx

Tammi Reiss- Rhode Island (4 years)

2019-2020 (13-16)

2020-2021 (11-8)

2021-2022 (22-7)

2022-2023 (21-3) Currently

Lindy La Rocque- UNLV (3 years)

2020-2021 (15-9)

2021-2022 (26-7) NCAA First Round

2022-2023 (24-2) Currently

*Team rated in Top 25 for first time since 1994
*Played at Stanford

Carly Thibault-Dudonis- Fairfield (1 year)

2022-2023 (13-11) Currently

*Major role in Minnesota’s Class of 2022 top ten class
*Fantastic recruiter

Kristen Gillespie- Illinois State (6 years)

2017-2018 (14-16)

2018-2019 (19-12)

2019-2020 (19-10)

2020-2021 (16-9)

2021-2022 (19-14) NCAA First Round

2022-2023 (18-6) Currently

Megan Griffith- Columbia (7 years)

2016-2017 (13-14)

2017-2018 (8-21)

2018-2019 (8-19)

2019-2020 (17-10)

2020-2021 Cancelled due to Covid

2021-2022 (25-7)

2022-2023 (19-4) Currently

Carla Berube- Princeton (4 years)

2019-2020 (26-1) NCAA Cancelled due to Covid

2020-2021 Season Cancelled due to Covid

2021-2022 (22-4) NCAA Second Round

2022-2023 (17-5) Currently

*Played at UConn

Assistant Coaches:

Karen Blair- Associate Head Coach- Maryland

Jessica Keller- Assistant Coach- Nebraska

*Former Associate Head Coach at Illinois State. Also, a stop as an Assistant at D2 Minnesota State in 2011-2014

Calamity McEntire- Associate Head Coach- Illinois
Who the fuck would name their child Calamity? That in and of itself is a calamity!

Funny that a lot of the summer leagues are coached by men, yet this is a big deal for college. If having a male coach is such a detriment to woman’s basketball, the memo hasn’t made it to South Dakota or for that matter Connecticut.

Okay here is a few things to make sure to understand with this coaching search.

Megan Duffy- She has a good thing going at Marquette so this is likely a situation where they have to really pay a lot and likely over what is making now at Marquette and maybe even what Whalen was making ($600,000/year) here. Also.. she could use this interview not as an actual candidate but more so as a reason to demand more money from Marquette if they wanna keep her. After a win this year against Uconn and Texas, fair to say she would deserve it.

Kristen Gillespie- With some thoughts that Northwestern could possibly be opening soon, she might go for the job in the state she already has made inroads at and it's still in the Big Ten.

Aaron Johnston- Stop. Full Stop. This is disaster written all over it. He isn't leaving SDSU. Gophers will not hire a male and frankly I'm okay with it. Like Muffet McGraw said.. "if 95% of the jobs in MBB go to Men, why shouldn't 95% of the jobs go to Women?"There is plenty of strong Female candidates. Stop wasting time with this name.

Also with Pitt job open, Columbia, Princeton or Rhode Island coach could possibly stay on the east for a power five job.

Assistants names to Remember:

-Erin Batth- Michigan Assistant (was lead recruiter who got Sophie Hart to NC State while she was there)
-Karen Blair- Maryland Associate Head Coach (She is the MN recruiter for Maryland)
-Calamity McEntire- Illinois Associate Head Coach (Stops at Texas/Illinois, could be looking to break into Head Coach job
It's safe to assume Duffy would require at least Shauna Green level compensation (800k base). I doubt Marquette would come close to matching it.

I like coaches who have a burning desire to be a head coach. That's my issue with long time assistants like Karen Blair. It's hard to make the transition to running the show including hiring and firing assistants unless you really want the responsibility.

I absolutely know that MN will not hire a male coach. This is part of the culture at the U that you have to hire coaches that are diverse, male/female, U graduates, etc……
Never go get the best coach. I do really like Ben and I think he will be a great coach! I will always be a fan of Whalen, watching her play turned me onto women’s basketball. The women’s game to me is a greater brand of basketball and fun to watch.

Now as far as SDSU. How many BIG schools play the out of conference schedule they play?
This year they played #1 South Carolina in Brookings (lost by 18) , played then top 10 rated Louisville (beat them), played ranked Creighton away, Kansas State (beat them), P5 schools UCLA, Mississippi State, Rutgers (beat them by 19), Washington State. They play this type of out of conference schedule every year. A little respect needed for the type of “diverse” schedule they play every year to make the the tournament. I think Johnston is a great coach and I hope he stays in Brookings forever!

It's safe to assume Duffy would require at least Shauna Green level compensation (800k base). I doubt Marquette would come close to matching it.

I like coaches who have a burning desire to be a head coach. That's my issue with long time assistants like Karen Blair. It's hard to make the transition to running the show including hiring and firing assistants unless you really want the responsibility.

I believe the Minnesota athletic department is rich once the new Big Ten media contract takes effect and the millions in cash revenue roll in. Minnesota should be able to blow away Marquette, where Duffy is.

I absolutely know that MN will not hire a male coach. This is part of the culture at the U that you have to hire coaches that are diverse, male/female, U graduates, etc……
Never go get the best coach. I do really like Ben and I think he will be a great coach! I will always be a fan of Whalen, watching her play turned me onto women’s basketball. The women’s game to me is a greater brand of basketball and fun to watch.

Now as far as SDSU. How many BIG schools play the out of conference schedule they play?
This year they played #1 South Carolina in Brookings (lost by 18) , played then top 10 rated Louisville (beat them), played ranked Creighton away, Kansas State (beat them), P5 schools UCLA, Mississippi State, Rutgers (beat them by 19), Washington State. They play this type of out of conference schedule every year. A little respect needed for the type of “diverse” schedule they play every year to make the the tournament. I think Johnston is a great coach and I hope he stays in Brookings forever!
Perhaps basketball is different than other sports, but right or wrong, Minnesota just replaced a white male volleyball coach with a white male.

It's understood you want to keep your coach. I would, too. Maybe he wants to stay down on the farm and maybe he doesn't, but it's not up to you.

Did anyone notice how diverse Iowa’s team looks? Don’t see anyone questioning their coach. To me it’s more related to where your recruiting area.
I did. Iowa has at least 3 women of color, one of whom is a starter and another who is the sixth woman of the Year. You have to go back five seasons to find one woman of color on Johnston's team.

Perhaps basketball is different than other sports, but right or wrong, Minnesota just replaced a white male volleyball coach with a white male.

It's understood you want to keep your coach. I would, too. Maybe he wants to stay down on the farm and maybe he doesn't, but it's not up to you.
The two SD schools each have a Sweet Sixteen run and a WNIT championship to their credit in the last five years, which isn't too bad for farm folk.

I did. Iowa has at least 3 women of color, one of whom is a starter and another who is the sixth woman of the Year. You have to go back five seasons to find one woman of color on Johnston's team.
Sounds like the MIAC

Bad gopher, did not mean any disrespect! I have lived in Minnesota for 45 years and I am a gopher fan! I imagine if Johnston would leave they would replace him with a female coach.

What about Fred Chmiel? 45 year old, former Minnesota assistant, lot of coaching experience including Big Ten (Minnesota and Penn State Assistant spurts), advanced scout for WNBA, and now last 8 with National Champs South Carolina. Would he have interest? Why isn't his name being mentioned?
Still think Fred would be a top candidate over many mentioned in here if he would be interesting in leaving South Carolina. Surprised no more chatter about him. Was a top assistant here at Minnesota before and definitely has tasted national succcess and seen what it looks like at South Carolina. I would think being an assistant coach too, Gophers would be allowed to talk with him prior to season end.

Otherwise it would be interesting to see who all would apply or show interests if they just open the application status up. You never know who could be out there really wanting the job that has top quality resume.

Bad gopher, did not mean any disrespect! I have lived in Minnesota for 45 years and I am a gopher fan! I imagine if Johnston would leave they would replace him with a female coach.
Oh, and I didn't mean any disparagement by referring to something as the farm. I haven't applied for a promotion at work since I got elevated 20 years ago. I like where I'm at. People might think I'm crazy, but I think others are crazy to climb for the sake of climbing. So far, Johnston has had a great career in a mid major league. If I'm him, maybe I don't mess with it!

Interesting the posters here trying to shout down the idea of hiring a male head coach.

Coyle just hired one for volleyball. There likely were solid candidate who were female.

And women's volleyball probably makes more money than women's basketball at the U, these days ....

Oh, and I didn't mean any disparagement by referring to something as the farm. I haven't applied for a promotion at work since I got elevated 20 years ago. I like where I'm at. People might think I'm crazy, but I think others are crazy to climb for the sake of climbing. So far, Johnston has had a great career in a mid major league. If I'm him, maybe I don't mess with it!
I've been in the same job for 19 and like where I'm at too! I see nothing wrong with it.

Top Bottom