Coaches to Watch

Kelly Rae Finley from Florida? Minnesota connection? Any chance to lure Jim Flanery from Creighton? Already has recruiting roots in Minnesota and has been a successful coach at A P5 school.

Now that we’re here…

Jennie Baranczyk. Done a great job at Drake and now Oklahoma. Only 41yo, a former Hawkeye some speculate taking over at Iowa whenever Lisa Bluder retires. Might like inheriting this great group closer to home now that Sherri Coale’s very good 5th year players graduate. My biggest concern was a “family” comment early in her Drake coaching career some interpreted a homophobic. Not saying she is, but remember it being a headline at the time and would want that vetted.

Jim Flanery from Creighton. Made the Elite 8 last year beating Iowa at their home. Has recruited some great MN talent. Has a long tenure / connection there but might like to try a Power 5 at some point and escape UConn.

I’m sure I’ll think of more but I’d start with these two.

This list is simply something to keep in mind as the season progresses on. If and is a HUGEEEE IF Whalen steps aside or is relied of duties, these are some of the names I would expect to possibly be on Coyle’s list. Also, Minnesota is always going to hire a Female coach, so I didn’t bother putting Male coaches on the list. I am also in way saying I think she should or will be gone next year. I’m also not saying she won’t, this is simply a running tap we can keep if or when the job opens up.

Head Coaches:

Megan Duffy- Marquette (4 years)

2019-2020 (24-8) Made NCAA (NCAA Cancelled due to Covid)

2020-2021 (17-4) NCAA First Round

2021-2022 (23-11)

2022-2023 (16-8) Currently

*Defeated UConn 59-52 in 4th season
*Played at Notre Dame/Two Seasons for Minnesota Lynx

Tammi Reiss- Rhode Island (4 years)

2019-2020 (13-16)

2020-2021 (11-8)

2021-2022 (22-7)

2022-2023 (21-3) Currently

Lindy La Rocque- UNLV (3 years)

2020-2021 (15-9)

2021-2022 (26-7) NCAA First Round

2022-2023 (24-2) Currently

*Team rated in Top 25 for first time since 1994
*Played at Stanford

Carly Thibault-Dudonis- Fairfield (1 year)

2022-2023 (13-11) Currently

*Major role in Minnesota’s Class of 2022 top ten class
*Fantastic recruiter

Kristen Gillespie- Illinois State (6 years)

2017-2018 (14-16)

2018-2019 (19-12)

2019-2020 (19-10)

2020-2021 (16-9)

2021-2022 (19-14) NCAA First Round

2022-2023 (18-6) Currently

Megan Griffith- Columbia (7 years)

2016-2017 (13-14)

2017-2018 (8-21)

2018-2019 (8-19)

2019-2020 (17-10)

2020-2021 Cancelled due to Covid

2021-2022 (25-7)

2022-2023 (19-4) Currently

Carla Berube- Princeton (4 years)

2019-2020 (26-1) NCAA Cancelled due to Covid

2020-2021 Season Cancelled due to Covid

2021-2022 (22-4) NCAA Second Round

2022-2023 (17-5) Currently

*Played at UConn

Assistant Coaches:

Karen Blair- Associate Head Coach- Maryland

Jessica Keller- Assistant Coach- Nebraska

*Former Associate Head Coach at Illinois State. Also, a stop as an Assistant at D2 Minnesota State in 2011-2014

Calamity McEntire- Associate Head Coach- Illinois
I vote for the UNLV coach. Princeton coach 2nd.

I see that two of Megan Duffy's seniors made All Big East First Team honors. Jordan King is a 5' 11" guard. I wonder if she/they has/have a year of eligibility and interest to play in Minnesota.

Minnesota could use a veteran wing/shooting guard to replace Gradwell and generally play opposite Braun and give rotation minutes until the new 2023 freshmen get more experience. That assumes Borowicz plays the invaluable 6th (wo)man role in a couple spots and lots of minutes at point guard.

Two of Duffy's freshmen made the Big East All Freshmen team too.

I think Duffy would be tough to get for Minnesota. She's been on fire as a coach for many years, multiple NCAA tournaments and an incredible record before that at Miami Redbirds. Anyway, probably out of the reach of Minnesota.

Another local coach to consider would be Ruth Sinn, from St. Thomas. She knows this area very well, especially the AAU scene, and now has some experienced recruiting D1. Her Tommies team has improved dramatically in the two years. They’ve been playing in the summit league.
Coach Sinn is a good coach. Seen the Tommies play twice, they are a really good team this year. Their smaller arena is nicer than ours. Not gonna lie, besides court and view of the game Williams Arena is good, the arena as whole is dump and needs upgrade. Her coaxh Sinn level of player indicates she can recruit. Would be out of the box, but good coach nonetheless.

Last edited:

Some people are saying that coach Tammi Reiss at Rhode Island and AD Mark Coyle's paths crossed at Syracuse and she could be a quick hire.

Reiss was just named Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year for the second time in three years. (I think the back to back comment is incorrect. It's 2 in 3.)

Now that we’re here…

Jennie Baranczyk. Done a great job at Drake and now Oklahoma. Only 41yo, a former Hawkeye some speculate taking over at Iowa whenever Lisa Bluder retires. Might like inheriting this great group closer to home now that Sherri Coale’s very good 5th year players graduate. My biggest concern was a “family” comment early in her Drake coaching career some interpreted a homophobic. Not saying she is, but remember it being a headline at the time and would want that vetted.

Jim Flanery from Creighton. Made the Elite 8 last year beating Iowa at their home. Has recruited some great MN talent. Has a long tenure / connection there but might like to try a Power 5 at some point and escape UConn.

I’m sure I’ll think of more but I’d start with these two.
Good suggestions Lynx. Baranczyk is a good basketball coach.

I would add Robin Fralick to the list, started in D2, has worked her way to Bowling Green and won everywhere she’s been.
I truly hope the Gophers have this coach on the list and at least give Coach Fralick a call. It's hard to think about this. Season just ended, was hoping to see Gophers play into Friday. I liked how the team was just starting to come together. 11 new players, hard to build continuity on team sports in such a short time. I know I'm posting a lot just trying to cope with today's news.

Coach Karen Blair, Assistant to Brenda Frese at Maryland.

Lots of video of her recruiting top players and players tagging her on tweets.

I see that two of Megan Duffy's seniors made All Big East First Team honors. Jordan King is a 5' 11" guard. I wonder if she/they has/have a year of eligibility and interest to play in Minnesota.

Minnesota could use a veteran wing/shooting guard to replace Gradwell and generally play opposite Braun and give rotation minutes until the new 2023 freshmen get more experience. That assumes Borowicz plays the invaluable 6th (wo)man role in a couple spots and lots of minutes at point guard.

Two of Duffy's freshmen made the Big East All Freshmen team too.

I think Duffy would be tough to get for Minnesota. She's been on fire as a coach for many years, multiple NCAA tournaments and an incredible record before that at Miami Redbirds. Anyway, probably out of the reach of Minnesota.

At this stage, in this version of the NCAA, I truly don't think you can bank on anybody on the roster staying. Some surely will, but the way it is right now, you just have to hire the best coach and build the roster from there.

Coyle seems to think recruiting is more important than coaching, so I'll put it out there: Harold Hill?

Seriously, I love some of these names. Thanks, all, for posting. I'm looking for the total package: great coach and recruiter and good with PR. One of my disappointments with Coach Johnson has been that he's almost invisible publicly. Whalen has been a way better Twitter follow than him, and I'll continue to follow her. She's a dear person; very endearing. We need someone who's at least as good a face of the U as she's been.

Coyle seems to think recruiting is more important than coaching, so I'll put it out there: Harold Hill?

Seriously, I love some of these names. Thanks, all, for posting. I'm looking for the total package: great coach and recruiter and good with PR. One of my disappointments with Coach Johnson has been that he's almost invisible publicly. Whalen has been a way better Twitter follow than him, and I'll continue to follow her. She's a dear person; very endearing. We need someone who's at least as good a face of the U as she's been.
Listened to Scroggins on Rand’ podcast and this and whole episode is devoted to this topic.

Says he’s known Coyle for 20 years and Coyle always has a short list of coaches for every sport and that Whalen was a boom or bust hire and that he will hire someone with a ton of coaching experience this time around.
Also said Coyle doesn’t really care about what others think of his choices as he is a decisive leader.
I think he has enough cache within the school, he could try this and not have it be a permanent issue for him; if he has to let Ben go as well, then I think the equation can easily change

Last edited:

Why? I'm a female with 2 daughters. Don't we want the best coach possible male or female? Why should it matter?
We already have a Head Hockey coach that is Male and a Head Volleyball coach that is Male. We do want the best coach possible, however we also want one that can best relate to the players and the journey. This is about having role models, and expousing the game in a positive light for Womens basketball. It is not about Quata's it is about showing Females that there is opportunity at the Major College level and strong female leaders are capable in these leadership roles. We need more being in charge of top programs in female sports. In Sports overall, men already have much more opportunity, in all aspects, media, coaching, AD, men already dominate historically at having these top roles, at a higher percentage in all divisions of college. I want a coach that can sell theses players on their vision, show that there will be opportunity for themselves in the game of basketball even after college. You saw the unequal treatmemt in the Mens NCAA tournament and Women during Covid right? I get the revenue thing but without fairness and exposure how else do you grow the Womens game. It is high level basketball yet many snobs will not even give the game a watch. There is already unequal treatment in broadcast television and radio. For me a Female coach at the top will be able to best sell the program to the Young ladies and fans growing up. We need young women in the Midwest and all over to see themselves as having these type of opportunities available to them going forward, and need to grow the game and fan base. If people would just buy a ticket and show up they would see how great Major College Women's basketball is.Going to admit, I was a narrow minded jock growing up and a jerk, I changed my position a lot as I matured and went to college and gave the game a chance by buying a ticket as a Student. HS me would have laughed hard at the thought. Heck the tickets are free to U students and not nearly enough show up. Is that a lack of exposure or what we all see on TV and radio and Social media? This is only part of why I want a female coach, I'm hoping the next coach can help grow the fan base at the U. Lindsey Whalen was great with media, just her name alone brought buy in and coverage, and her humor, and twitter will be greatly missed. We may not have had the winning we all wanted but Coach Whalen gave the program great exposure in this media market. Coach Whalen made me a life long fan of the Womens game and I am grateful. Long rant, too much probably but I think you all get the point.

Last edited:

There should be one coach on speed dial, Jennie Baranczyk!! The best offensive coach in the game
She might like getting back to midwest where she has family in Iowa.

Before she jumped to Oklahoma I thought she might be Iowa's next coach but Bluder is a ways from being done and Jan Jensen is there as another replacement. Now that she's jumped to OU and has them ranked I doubt the Gophers would be on her leave the Sooners list but maybe worth checking. I do wonder how she feels about Sooners jump to the SEC. With Mulkey gone from Baylor the Big 12 was wide open for her to rebuild a program to be on top of it. Now she will be off to the SEC versus South Carolina, Mulkey lead LSU, Tennessee and Texas.

We already have a Head Hockey coach that is Male and a Head Volleyball coach that is Male. We do want the best coach possible, however we also want one that can best relate to the players and the journey. This is about having role models, and expousing the game in a positive light for Womens basketball. It is not about Quata's it is about showing Females that there is opportunity at the Major College level and strong female leaders are capable in these leadership roles. We need more being in charge of top programs in female sports. In Sports overall, men already have much more opportunity, in all aspects, media, coaching, AD, men already dominate historically at having these top roles, at a higher percentage in all divisions of college. I want a coach that can sell theses players on their vision, show that there will be opportunity for themselves in the game of basketball even after college. You saw the unequal treatmemt in the Mens NCAA tournament and Women during Covid right? I get the revenue thing but without fairness and exposure how else do you grow the Womens game. It is high level basketball yet many snobs will not even give the game a watch. There is already unequal treatment in broadcast television and radio. For me a Female coach at the top will be able to best sell the program to the Young ladies and fans growing up. We need young women in the Midwest and all over to see themselves as having these type of opportunities available to them going forward, and need to grow the game and fan base. If people would just buy a ticket and show up they would see how great Major College Women's basketball is.Going to admit, I was a narrow minded jock growing up and a jerk, I changed my position a lot as I matured and went to college and gave the game a chance by buying a ticket as a Student. HS me would have laughed hard at the thought. Heck the tickets are free to U students and not nearly enough show up. Is that a lack of exposure or what we all see on TV and radio and Social media? This is only part of why I want a female coach, I'm hoping the next coach can help grow the fan base at the U. Lindsey Whalen was great with media, just her name alone brought buy in and coverage, and her humor, and twitter will be greatly missed. We may not have had the winning we all wanted but Coach Whalen gave the program great exposure in this media market. Coach Whalen made me a life long fan of the Womens game and I am grateful. Long rant, too much probably but I think you all get the point.

^ This. 100%.

I totally get the sentiment, and I'd love to see a woman hired, but I can't go so far as to call it a need. I can only speak from both my daughters' experience: their best and best loved coaches have been both men and women. My younger daughter cried when her collegiate male assistant left the program. He was the best skills coach she ever had, and she and her teammates adored him and his young family. She still has scars from that.

If there was a dislike button I’d hit it ten times! I can’t stand hiring based on sex or color, just hire the best qualified person!! Coyle can’t screw this up, we are at rock bottom in the conference! I have two daughters who are athletes that have had great experiences with male and female coaches.

If there was a dislike button I’d hit it ten times! I can’t stand hiring based on sex or color, just hire the best qualified person!! Coyle can’t screw this up, we are at rock bottom in the conference! I have two daughters who are athletes that have had great experiences with male and female coaches.
I dislike the cronyism and nepotism that often accompanies hiring in Sports that favors the good ole boys club and denies opportunity, the buddy train. I want the best possible coach for the Gophers, but in my opinion I would prefer a Women's head coach. That has been the precedent at Minnesota. We can agree to disagree or definitely not share the same opinion. The reason that Sport writers like Reusse and Wolfson are pushing for Johnston from SDSU is cause he is from Pine Island MN and his top assistant is Caleb Thielbar's wife a buddy of they're group from the Twins. Every time SDSU is in NCAA they get bounced almost always early. We would not even be talking about a need for a Head coach if Minnesota were not struggling in conference. I fear were going to lose a bunch of players no matter the hire.

I dislike the cronyism and nepotism that often accompanies hiring in Sports that favors the good ole boys club and denies opportunity, the buddy train. I want the best possible coach for the Gophers, but in my opinion I would prefer a Women's head coach. That has been the precedent at Minnesota. We can agree to disagree or definitely not share the same opinion. The reason that Sport writers like Reusse and Wolfson are pushing for Johnston from SDSU is cause he is from Pine Island MN and his top assistant is Caleb Thielbar's wife a buddy of they're group from the Twins. Every time SDSU is in NCAA they get bounced almost always early. We would not even be talking about a need for a Head coach if Minnesota were not struggling in conference. I fear were going to lose a bunch of players no matter the hire.
They’re pushing Johnston because he knows X’s and O’s and has had success at SDSU. He is also a Minnesota guy which some consider a home run hire. I am not a big fan of the sports writers in Minneapolis but I don’t disagree with them regarding Johnston. I’m not saying he is absolutely the one but he should get an interview.

Johnston dominates his conference, has won a D2 and WNIT title and built a D1 program from scratch. He’s gotten to sweet 16 with a Summit team. How many NCAA tournament games were they the higher seed? If we can become a program like Iowa, Iowa State, or SDSU, I’ll take it. However he should be able to be more athletic at MN.

Johnston dominates his conference, has won a D2 and WNIT title and built a D1 program from scratch. He’s gotten to sweet 16 with a Summit team. How many NCAA tournament games were they the higher seed? If we can become a program like Iowa, Iowa State, or SDSU, I’ll take it. However he should be able to be more athletic at MN.
I'm not against a Johnston interview didn't mean to confuse, just stating Sports writers call him out because of Thielbars wife and relationship with Twins player has a role in those guys touts. SDSU their record is great. My input doesn't really matter and sorry to hijack this thread. I do want what is best for the program and a coach that can build a packed gym, and make the best players want to be Gophers. The stakeholders, the former players, current players and big donors, their opinions matter a whole lot more than mine. Let's return this thread back to coaches to watch. Nervous and unsettling time any transition like this is. Just hoping we can attract a Great coach that wants to be a Gopher.

The athletes have to be considered. We sent our daughter 2000 miles away to play college basketball, to a program that we really liked and where she was made to feel comfortable, They happened to have a male coach at that school. She did bond better with the female assistants, but that was more because they were position coaches for her. The recruiting process included both male and female head and assistant coaches, and we did not consider the sex of the coach when she narrowed down her list. It was about who made her feel valued, as well as the education she would get at each school. (In her professional career, she’s had both male and female coaches, and done well with each.)
In the same way, the players that are already at Minnesota will make a decision based on many factors, but, including whether or not, they can relate with the coach. Some may prefer a male coach, if they’ve had male coaches in their past and had a good experience. Others may be looking at different aspects, maybe looking for female mentorship and leadership. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Before she jumped to Oklahoma I thought she might be Iowa's next coach but Bluder is a ways from being done and Jan Jensen is there as another replacement.

Oklahoma has deep pockets and Baranczyk is well paid with big annual bonuses if she stays at OU. I'm not sure Minnesota can compete with that financially.

Also, Jan Jensen was a classmate at Drake with a wide receiver on the football team named Mark Coyle. I bet they knew each other. Would she be a viable candidate here? She is an good recruiter.

Dean Lockwood, MSU acting head coach is impressive. Might be a good fit here.

Oklahoma has deep pockets and Baranczyk is well paid with big annual bonuses if she stays at OU. I'm not sure Minnesota can compete with that financially.

Also, Jan Jensen was a classmate at Drake with a wide receiver on the football team named Mark Coyle. I bet they knew each other. Would she be a viable candidate here? She is an good recruiter.
I agree I don't see us pulling a coach away from a school like Oklahoma. Jensen is an interesting candidate. (She might have an in in getting a certain 9th grader from Providence Academy.) Coyle had to hire Whalen IMO, but I'm sure his list of candidates will be very strong.

Star Tribune Reporting:

Four of the potential candidates to replace Lindsay Whalen as Gophers women's basketball coach​

Marquette's Megan Duffy and Illinois State's Kristen Gillespie are among the possibilities for Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle.

By Kent Youngblood Star Tribune

MARCH 3, 2023 — 8:04PM
merlin_69821444.jpg

AARON GASH, ASSOCIATED PRESS - Marquette head coach Megan Duffy guided her team to a 59-52 victory against UConn on Feb. 8 in Milwaukee.

Top Bottom