Coaches share ideas to fix Transfer Portal

hungan1

Reaction score

'So much to change': Coaches share ideas to fix Transfer Portal

By BANDON MARCELLO, 247 Sports, Jan 20, 9:45 AM

The transfer portal has provided players across the country second chances, new opportunities and bigger stages to shine — and improve — on new teams.

But for many, the portal has proven to be more a pitfall than a gigantic leap on their career path. Not all players are looking to move up the ranks. Some know a drop from a Power Five school to the Group of Five or FCS is likely. The problem, however, is the large number of athletes who enter the portal with high hopes of cashing in via their name, image and likeness at a new school with a profile just as big or larger than their previous home.

Hopes, however, usually fly in the face of reality -- and reality is beginning to set in for players and coaches midway through the fourth annual cycle of the portals existence.

"There's so much to change," a Power Five assistant coach told 247Sports. "I don't know where to start. You feel sorry for all these kids that won't get the chance to get a degree because they entered the portal with nowhere to go."

For every star quarterback like Caleb Williams, the nation's No. 1 recruit in 2021 now with his pick of the litter after leaving Oklahoma, there are three others left in the cold. Nearly three out of four Power Five players who entered the transfer portal during the 2019-20 cycle did not land at another Power Five program — and nearly half (47.2%) did not find a new home or fell to the FCS or a junior college, according to numbers compiled and studied by 247Sports. Only 37.8% of FBS scholarship players landed at another FBS school.

The trend will not end in 2022. The portal is set to shatter another record for entrants before resetting for the 2022-23 cycle on Aug. 1. More than 1,800 FBS players have entered the portal during the 2021-22 cycle as of Jan. 19, out-pacing the record of 2,647 who entered the portal a year ago.

The promise of immediate eligibility at a new school has certainly tempted more athletes to enter the portal, a change that went into effect in the spring of 2021. The NCAA also began in July allowing athletes to earn compensation from their name, image and likeness. The elite players — quarterbacks such as Quinn Ewers (Ohio State to Texas), Spencer Rattler (Oklahoma to South Carolina) and Williams — have cashed in with six- and seven-figure deals. Meanwhile, unintended consequences have developed in the wake of the portal's unveiling in 2018 and the sweeping legislative changes across the NCAA that have provided athletes more freedom to move from school to school and monetize their personal brands.

247Sports surveyed more than three dozen FBS coaches and asked whether there should be tweaks to the portal. They also shared their primary concerns, and nearly all believed in one thing: open and closing dates for the portal.

Portal windows must be created, say coaches

The transfer portal was created to give players the option to leave a team and explore other institutions at any time, without hindrance from their current school.

The only red tape slowing the process: schools can wait 48 hours before entering the players' name in the portal. After that, it's fair game and every school in the country can call or message the player.

Four years later, coaches' recruiting schedules have ballooned. Year-round recruiting is required in their own locker room just as it is on the recruiting trail for perspective players at high schools. Players come and go at all times. Some leave in the middle of seasons. Others wait until the end of the season or the conclusion of the fall or spring semesters.

The increased workload is tiresome, coaches say, and calculating always-fluid roster numbers is a headache. There are also rule breakers in their coaching fraternity. Schools and coaches are not allowed to recruit a player until they enter the portal, but active recruiting is occurring behind the scenes before they exit programs, coaches said.

"Everybody is tampering. We all do it," an FBS head coach said. "At this point it’s like going 65 mph in a 55. What are you going to do with it? But there need to be parameters. NFL free agency starts and ends on certain dates, and we need to do that with the portal. That's No. 1. They have to protect the kids from themselves and make it fair for our rosters because it’s impossible the way it is set up today."

Todd Berry, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, wants two windows for the portal to open: after the regular season and again after spring practices. The problem: the NCAA and schools are concerned limiting the time players can explore the portal would lead to legal battles.

Many coaches surveyed by 247Sports agreed with Berry's idea, and others only offered slight tweaks. One Power Five assistant offered hard dates: April 1-30; Nov. 1 through conference championship weekend; and seven days at a school following the departure of a head coach and seven days at a school following the hiring of a new coach.

"If we can create a better window where kids have a few months to get in the portal and make a decision it would benefit both coaches and players," a Group of Five assistant coach said. "It would give kids and coaching staffs across the country a better feel for the number of spots available as well as who is available."

Academic eligibility requirements could curb numbers, save kids' scholarships

Players can transfer as long as they are academically eligible, but some coaches believe more stringent requirements should be considered.

One Power Five assistant suggests players must have a minimum grade-point average of 3.0 to enter the portal. Several others believe only select players should be immediately eligible to compete at a new school.

Other requirements pitched by coaches include:

• Players can only transfer if their head coach is fired or leaves the school. Player whose head coach is fired or leaves the school
  • Players can not transfer until one calendar year following their enrollment at original school.
Rival coaches might pat each other on the back in public, but many don't trust each other outside the room. Players following a coach from school to school is a point of contention for many coaches surveyed by 247Sports, but limiting a player's choices following a coach's decision to bail on a school is a taboo subject publicly.

"Glad I am at the end of my career," a veteran FBS assistant said. "This s*** is getting crazy!"

The primary issue, however, is the window. There needs to be a calendar for when players can enter the portal, most coaches agreed, and instituting those guardrails would help curb many problems. Too many good things happened within a short period of time, coaches said, and the creation of the portal, the relaxation of eligibility rules and the freedom to profit off NIL — the latter two happening within months — hastened cracks in the portal's framework.

"We’ve forgotten who the adult in the room is," an FBS head coach said. "I don’t let my kids have dessert every night just because they ask for it. There's no way to protect them from themselves."

Nixing Early Signing Period could strengthen portal, high school recruiting

The Early Signing Period in December was created to end the recruiting process early for coaches and recruits. What it has turned into is a headache for coaches as they ramp up recruiting during their fall seasons. The primary national signing day — the first Wednesday in February — has become an afterthought because of the early signing period in December, and the creation of the transfer portal has only amplified the recruiting noise during what should have been a quiet December.

In many ways, signing days are college football's NFL draft and the portal is free agency. The only difference is there are no parameters for the portal, and free agency is an every-day event. Simply put, because of the portal and the early signing period recruiting never stops, not even for the holidays.

The other issue, which many coaches believe will prove true as the numbers bear in the coming months, is their staff's dwindling focus on high school recruiting.

"There shouldn’t be changes to the portal. I think signing day should be moved to February permanently," an FBS assistant said. "The early signing period hurts high school kids with the portal because from December to February schools are prioritizing transfer portal kids over high school kids. The threshold to go (FBS) out of high school is getting more and more difficult."

Providing immediate eligibility to transfers in the spring of 2021 saturated the market with veterans rather than newcomers over the last year. Transfers, particularly those with experience as starters at their previous school, offered coaches the promise of an immediate fix on their roster rather than a two-year developmental deal with a signee out of high school. Like the advent of the portal itself in 2018, a one-time relief for immediate eligibility seemed great at first glance, particularly with rosters ballooning with an additional year of eligibility provided to players affected by the pandemic.

The numbers, however, are starting to bite schools. The challenge to fill rosters and balance scholarships is cumbersome, which has led many schools to create new administrative position to monitor the portal and balance their roster numbers. The NCAA's answer to the inflation arrived this year: a one-time reprieve for schools to replace players lost in the portal in 2021-22. In addition to 25 combined signees in December and February, schools are now allowed to replace up to seven players who enter the transfer portal. That "plus-seven" model, however, is well below the average departures for each FBS team (13.8) entering the final two weeks of January, and those numbers will only rise. FBS schools lost an average of 19.3 players, including walk-ons, during the 2020-21 cycle that ended July 31, and that number figures to be higher this year.

37COMMENTS
So, what's next? Are there too many problems with few solutions? Change is likely, though the first steps are not clear. The NCAA is busy drafting a new constitution as it tries to simplify an antiquated and complex legislative system during a convention this week in Indianapolis. Their focus is on sweeping, fundamental changes within governance rather than the minutiae moving the portal gears within that much-larger system. Coaches do not have much confidence the organization will steer the ship in the right direction before more headaches arise.

"The death of the NCAA began a year ago," an FBS head coach said. "It’s like the playoff expanding: it’s more 'when' and not 'if.' ... There’s just so much that makes no sense."

Interesting article, interesting problems. No solid solutions without lawsuits.

I like the hard timeline idea. I think that would help a lot with keeping your numbers straight with the roster. Other than that some interesting thoughts. Sad to see how many kids just end up no where. Really could be telling to make them realize that maybe leaving isn’t always the best option.

I like what we have, it's working for the Gophers. We are in the sweet spot.

Most of the coaches complaining feel the portal hurts their team

It will work itself out once more and more guys realize these facts. Is ~1/3 of portal entered don’t land at a power 5 spot, it will lead to less people entering the portal.

"...on the recruiting trail for perspective [sic] players at high schools."

How about players who have no perspective? Are they being oppressed?

I told you that most kids would be disappointed by entering the portal. A bench player from a mid- level P5 program is not going to have a huge selection of P5 offers

no more 1 free transfer or grad transfer

If you change schools at all, you miss a year:

I’m not sure people realize but that is the root of the issue. How many guys transfer to sit on the bench for a year? Some but far fewer.

Coaches are employees, like you and I on our jobs. Players are students who have accepted financial aid for their education in exchange for representing the school in competitions.
And any student who is at a school is free to leave. If you have an academic scholarship you can leave that institution and go to another one. If other opportunities present themselves that are better, or they are unhappy, they can go elsewhere. If it cost the student money or fame it was their choice. Plenty of people leave jobs and end up somewhere worse down the line.

And any student who is at a school is free to leave. If you have an academic scholarship you can leave that institution and go to another one. If other opportunities present themselves that are better, or they are unhappy, they can go elsewhere. If it cost the student money or fame it was their choice. Plenty of people leave jobs and end up somewhere worse down the line.
My point was that college players are not employees. If college sports are evolving to that, then we have professional sports. But even in pro sports, players are under contract and cannot just declare themselves ready for another team at any time they like. I know my notions are antiquated -- I just hoped that some of the good things of the past would hang around for a little while longer.

Here's one way we might improve this situation: Allow colleges to offer a scholarship to a named player. That player then has five years to complete his commitment to the school. Should he leave early, the school must issue the unused portion of that scholarship for a non-athlete, academically worthy student. This would encourage coaches to recruit good citizen, true student-athlete players.

But, alas, I'm a relic. Can you point me to the nearest windmill?

I would be fine with a designated "portal period," but as noted, that might face a legal challenge.

I do not like to see players going into the portal mid-season. I'm also old-fashioned. to me, that is quitting on your team.

If a player feels they made a mistake and chose the wrong program, I'm fine with having the portal as a method to give that player a chance at a fresh start. But it needs to have some structure.

right now there is a bit of a "wild west" feel. Maybe it will settle down as we work through the covid rosters. It would be interesting to analyze how many players who entered the portal were younger guys who got pushed back on the depth chart by older players using the extra covid year of eligibility. as much as the covid year benefitted the Gophers, I wonder if, in the long run, it did more harm than good to college sports as a whole.

Nick Saban said this would happen and that the helmet schools would benefit the most. Players have the freedom they wanted and now those choices come with consequences.

Nick Saban said this would happen and that the helmet schools would benefit the most. Players have the freedom they wanted and now those choices come with consequences.
I like how people are acting like right now is worse for athletes.

A few Athletes making bad decisions does not equal a worse set up for athletes

Most players fail to accept the fact that coaches spend a lot of tIme trying to recruit someone more talented than they. As such some don’t / won’t accept the challenge for their position. The old adage that the grass is always greener is certainly applicable with the portal.

(as a side note). I am one that feels the Gophers are behind in securing portal transfer
”portalees” (hey SON you are the official GH English aficionado, is that correct calling members in the portal). We certainly need more help on the defensive side in particular the secondary and linebackers. Positions difficult for Freshmen to succeed.

Most players fail to accept the fact that coaches spend a lot of tIme trying to recruit someone more talented than they. As such some don’t / won’t accept the challenge for their position. The old adage that the grass is always greener is certainly applicable with the portal.

(as a side note). I am one that feels the Gophers are behind in securing portal transfer
”portalees” (hey SON you are the official GH English aficionado, is that correct calling members in the portal). We certainly need more help on the defensive side in particular the secondary and linebackers. Positions difficult for Freshmen to succeed.
Have you been paying attention to the portal? What issues do you have with the secondary guys they have brought in?

Not sure an All-Ivy League DT is ready for the Big Ten. Nor either DB is faced/covered receivers like what they will encounter against Ia, tOSU, etc…

I like how people are acting like right now is worse for athletes.

A few Athletes making bad decisions does not equal a worse set up for athletes
It's also a matter of those athletes being "counted" now. There were always players who fizzled out their freshman/sophomore seasons. Some of them dropped down to lower levels of football, some of them quit football but stayed in school and some of them quit school. It was an incredibly common occurrence in college football. Those players are now just being "counted" as portal players. I have feeling they are being "counted" as a reason to rationalize more restrictions on the better players.

Ky Thomas shouldn't be allowed to go into the portal because Saia Mapakaitolo and Michael Lantz can't find a scholarship.

If you picked a random recruiting class prior to the portal and looked at the number of guys who left from attrition, the numbers would be pretty close. I randomly picked 2010. If you look at the number of players who left the U for natural attrition (buried in depth chart), some found homes and some did not. These guys who quietly left the U because they were buried in the depth chart are the same kind of players/situations as the folks who are now in the portal without a home. It's too bad but it's nothing new at all.

2010 class:
Jimmy Gjere - injuring ending career early
Lamonte Edwards - got into trouble, left the U (would have been a portal player)
James Manuel - finished career a Gopher
Donnell Kirkwood - finished career a Gopher
Tom Parish - left program and didn't find another program (would have been a portal player)
Brock Vereen - finished career a Gopher
Devon Wright - finished career a Gopher
Johnathon Ragoo - transferred out (would have been a portal player)
Tyrone Bouie - transferred out (would have been a portal player)
Marek Lenkiewicz - finished career a Gopher
Matt Eggen - left program (would have been a portal player)
Willie Tatum - left program (would have been a portal player)
Josh Tauaefa - left program (would have been a portal player)
Harold Legania - finished career a gopher
Dwayne Mitchell left program (would have been a portal player)
Tiree Eure - finished career a Gopher
Christyn Lewis - finished career a Gopher
Hershecl Thornton - left program (would have been a portal player)
Sean Ferguson - finished career a Gopher (quit football at then end I believe)
JD Pride - left program (would have been a portal player)
Logan Hutton - finished career a Gopher
Dexter Foreman - left program (would have been a portal player)
Dwight Tillman - left program (would have been a portal player)
James Gillum - finished career a Gopher

The coaches are hypocrites.
They leave at the drop of a hat if a better opportunity presents itself.
Student athletes are not peons, serfs or indentured workers.
They should be just as free to leave as the coaches are.
Oh, and the coaches say tampering before the athlete declares for the portal is just awful when all of them have tried to change the minds of people who have given an oral commitment.
And I coughed up a glass of water when I read they worried about their athletes putting not getting a degree by entering the portal.

Does seem like some sort of portal window would be beneficial but don't know if it can happen without a lot of issues.

The portal should sort itself out some as players see that there are no guarantees they are going to find a better situation just by going into the portal.

We are just fortunate to have a high energy coach like Fleck who is likely well equipped to deal with the changing landscape of college football.

You do have to feel for the coaches some in that there is no off season of any kind anymore in college football. At least in the NFL you have some pretty well defined periods that can be counted on. You don't have that anymore in college.

no more 1 free transfer or grad transfer

If you change schools at all, you miss a year:

I’m not sure people realize but that is the root of the issue. How many guys transfer to sit on the bench for a year? Some but far fewer.
I only wish to offer the "practical" counter-perspective to this.

And that mainly is: the waiver process.

You can't have no waiver process, to what you're saying above. There will always be exceptional cases that absolutely warrant a waiver to that rule.

But as soon as you have that ... you can't stop everyone from applying for a waiver. So now you have to review all those, case-by-case, and naturally you're going to have a whole spectrum of "legitimacy" in those cases.

Where do you draw the line of approving the waiver? How? Who does it? And no matter how you do it, those outcomes will shift over time as different people will make slightly different decisions.

You'll have people complaining that they were treated unfairly. You'll have people complaining that certain schools got preferential treatment to get the player they wanted.

Etc.

The NCAA wanted out of the waiver business, to as much an extent as they could muster.

I only wish to offer the "practical" counter-perspective to this.

And that mainly is: the waiver process.

You can't have no waiver process, to what you're saying above. There will always be exceptional cases that absolutely warrant a waiver to that rule.

But as soon as you have that ... you can't stop everyone from applying for a waiver. So now you have to review all those, case-by-case, and naturally you're going to have a whole spectrum of "legitimacy" in those cases.

Where do you draw the line of approving the waiver? How? Who does it? And no matter how you do it, those outcomes will shift over time as different people will make slightly different decisions.

You'll have people complaining that they were treated unfairly. You'll have people complaining that certain schools got preferential treatment to get the player they wanted.

Etc.

The NCAA wanted out of the waiver business, to as much an extent as they could muster.
Yeah.

I mean to me, you either have to accept it’s going to be a mess like we have now, or say no waivers and sit a year.

The waiver process is less fair than what we have now because it is so inconsistently enforced.

Like others have said or hinted at, hopefully after a year or two of data ... maybe more of these guys will think harder about what their goals are and what the likely outcome of entering the portal from places like the U (of Minnesota) will be.

Like others have said or hinted at, hopefully after a year or two of data ... maybe more of these guys will think harder about what their goals are and what the likely outcome of entering the portal from places like the U (of Minnesota) will be.
In some ways that might end up hurting us more than helping us. Right now we have cleared a good chunk of dead weight off the roster allowing us to fill those spots with guys who have a chance to help us.

Only a couple of the 16 going out are guys we really would have wanted to keep here. Most of the losses will have little to no impact on the team in 2022 or beyond.

In some ways that might end up hurting us more than helping us. Right now we have cleared a good chunk of dead weight off the roster allowing us to fill those spots with guys who have a chance to help us.

Only a couple of the 16 going out are guys we really would have wanted to keep here. Most of the losses will have little to no impact on the team in 2022 or beyond.
And historically a lot of those guys would’ve been gone with or without a transfer portal. (As bob said)

the thing that adds name is the one time free transfer. Without that Thomas probably stays (or transfers to FCS). Without that Dunlap doesn’t leave this year (because he probably would’ve left last year so he could’ve already have sat his year). Other than that I don’t really see anything else playing out too differently

I told you that most kids would be disappointed by entering the portal. A bench player from a mid- level P5 program is not going to have a huge selection of P5 offers
But I wonder how many are leaving specifically to go to G5 programs where they can actually get to play.

Well .... one thing, sorry don't mean to muddy the waters here.

But technically, the one free transfer rule and the transfer portal itself, are two separate things. You could have the former without having ever implemented the latter.

I'm not sure things play out too differently, in such a case? Guys would be announcing on Twitter that they're leaving, thanking coaches/fans/etc., and then their re-recruitment process would begin.

Top Bottom