Coaches looking good...

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Solich, Franklin at Vanderbilt and Beckman at Illinois. I think Solich applied at UM a couple of times. Does anyone remember if he was available instead of Brewster?

Who is this Brewster guy of whom you refer?

Solich, Franklin at Vanderbilt and Beckman at Illinois. I think Solich applied at UM a couple of times. Does anyone remember if he was available instead of Brewster?

I think he interviewed with Rick Bay then or abouts. The U was looking for the coach to replace Jim Wacker after he retired. I remember a clip on the news as if it was last night. I think it was Bay who said we had a meeting with Coach Solich and he's all about coaching. It wasn't a week later and we hired Glen Mason. Solich went on to become the Head Coach at Nebraska.

What do these guys have to do with Brewster?

I don't remember ever hearing Franklin's name as a head coaching possibility until after Maryland (I could be wrong), and Beckman was the cornerbacks' coach at tOSU when we hired Brew.

I don't remember ever hearing Franklin's name as a head coaching possibility until after Maryland (I could be wrong), and Beckman was the cornerbacks' coach at tOSU when we hired Brew.

I think he was referring to Solich.

I think Solich was also interested after Mason was fired but it was right around the time he got busted for a DUI at Ohio so Maturi was scared away from even interviewing him. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

I think Solich was also interested after Mason was fired but it was right around the time he got busted for a DUI at Ohio so Maturi was scared away from even interviewing him. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

I was wondering about that, too. Also, regarding Brewster, considering the odd timing of the firing, why didn't Maturi just elevate one of the coordinators to be interim coach, keeping the staff together and giving him a year to search properly for a new one rather than making the desperation hire of Brewster, who had no head coach or coordinator experience?

Well Bob, the answer is obvious, the hire of hopeless Timmy B was one of the worst ever and will be hung around the neck of your hero Joel MACturi for good.

Solich would have come here and had much better results than Brewster as would have been had if Mason had he been retained, or any other credible coach. 15-30 speaks for itself

Maturi has been put out to pasture and his legacy will hang around his neck like a proverbial millstone. Please do not try to give him an credit for mobilizing the forces that lead to TCF BanK Stadium either; the vibrancy of the tailgating speaks to his leaership.

Well Bob, the answer is obvious, the hire of hopeless Timmy B was one of the worst ever and will be hung around the neck of your hero Joel MACturi for good.

Solich would have come here and had much better results than Brewster as would have been had if Mason had he been retained, or any other credible coach. 15-30 speaks for itself

Maturi has been put out to pasture and his legacy will hang around his neck like a proverbial millstone. Please do not try to give him an credit for mobilizing the forces that lead to TCF BanK Stadium either; the vibrancy of the tailgating speaks to his leaership.

This might be the most bizarre posting in the history of Gopherhole.

I've always disliked Maturi and the end of the Maturi era is probably the best thing to happen to Gopher Athletics in a long time. I'd love to see you try to find a single post of mine where I have ever said anything good about Maturi. I don't give him credit for Tubby, I don't even think Tubby's been great and I think he's been awful on every front. So "my hero" Maturi? Yep, you started your silly post with nonsense.

You also can't read. I was asking what Franklin and Beckman had to do with Brewster and you're silly brain explained to me about Solich. My whole point was that neither Franklin nor Beckman would have been considered by any team to be a head coach in 2007. Nice to see that was entirely over your head.

Guys, without the Brew run we would not have Kill as our coach. Kill is the right coach, let's move on from all this shoulda coulda.

Top Bottom