Coach Pitino's Scheduled Segment on the Sports Huddle - 4/21/133

I don't know what you guys that are complaining want him to say. Do you want him to go public with all these "challenges" (real and imagined) that he faces at Minnesota? Should he talk about what a "tough job" this is and give X number of excuses as to why he can't/won't win? How does that attract recruits? How does that attract new fans to the program?

Calling Minnesota a "great place" is smart, calling the University "great" is smart, calling the AAU teams "well coached" is smart. Saying negative things about about the state, the University, or the AAU coaches is not smart. Give me the coach who is answering the questions the way Pitino is over the other option any day of the week.

I don't know what you guys that are complaining want him to say. Do you want him to go public with all these "challenges" (real and imagined) that he faces at Minnesota? Should he talk about what a "tough job" this is and give X number of excuses as to why he can't/won't win? How does that attract recruits? How does that attract new fans to the program?

Calling Minnesota a "great place" is smart, calling the University "great" is smart, calling the AAU teams "well coached" is smart. Saying negative things about about the state, the University, or the AAU coaches is not smart. Give me the coach who is answering the questions the way Pitino is over the other option any day of the week.

Agreed. +1

For being a Minnesota Nice state, Holers sure don't seem to want Coach to be nice.

+1

For being a Minnesota Nice state, Holers sure don't seem to want Coach to be nice.

Funny, and True! But when one examines the milieu that is big-time Minnesota Sports, we get all kinds of ornery, suspicious, skeptical and hateful as fans. We've been given very little to be happy, trusting, supportive and loving about when you look at Gophs, Vikes, Wild, Twins, Wolves.

Pitino is off to a great start, saying all the right things about a great state and a great university. It is great. I don't live there anymore, and there is a general respect for Minnesota, the state and the university, in other parts of the country. No, MN is not known as a "championship" place, but it is viewed elsewhere as a good place with good people. I'm sure Pitino appreciates that reality, now living and experience it.

As far as BS goes, why would he pop off on the deficits and limitations that MN present as a state and a university? What good would that do? The practice facility is coming. He doesn't need to make that an issue as Tubby did. We all remember our parting thoughts with Tubby and Mason, who iterated and reiterated why MN was struggling to win.

Pitino is 0-0. We'll see how much bull he's slinging when we've seen him coach athletes at the University of Minnesota for a while.

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom