Coach P will be on KFAN Today

They just re-iterated that Coach P will be on live with JG in a few minutes on KFAN. Should be a good listen.

Just listened. Great interview! She said there are 4 coming in next year, so it sounds like everyone is keeping their commitment (less Dom) and then the addition of Grace. I thought I heard her say there’s only 5 healthy players, so not sure if either Sophie or Maggie is injured? November cannot get here fast enough!

I'd like to hear an inkling about Portal Transfers that can help the Gophers immediately.

Nice interview by Justin Gaard. An early question was about defense. Coach P talked a lot about defense. If posted online, it's worth the time to listen.

Her defense takes a tough defense mindset. Effort. Finish plays. She said she usually prefers man coverage to zone. With zone, she said, the best players can get lost. She described variations they do with that to mix it up or to adjust. A big focus on defense is a must.

Talking players and transfer portal, she mentioned fit is important. Important for what they player wants to achieve, what's right for her, and also that a player may thrive with what they do even if that player doesn't "look the part." Another player might look that part but for whatever reasons isn't a good fit.

Grew up in Wisconsin. Talked about that quite a bit.

While she was an assistant at Michigan, her head coach Kevin Borseth's coaching was a big influence in how she coaches, including being thorough.

Asked if she was going to use some press defense, that's where she made the comment about getting a full team of healthy players, first things first. Not sure if she meant that defense can have hazards or if not is not the time to be practicing that. Basically threw shade on press defense.

Has been busy.

JG asked about the rules for working with players this time of year. Something about 8 hours a week allowed, including gym and film.

She said they spend time looking at film I thought she said today or very recent where she showed them in film the kind of team they will be. The showed certain situations and how they want to respond.

She also said right now they don't have time to work on everything and do them all well so they will focus on around 3 things and then they have that as they enter the offseason to work on.

Said the final roster would probably have between 13-15 scholarship players. Right now they are at 11.

Also that they want to bring in the right players.

[I wouldn't doubt if they kept 2 open to start the season, nothing to back that up but just a sensing.]

5 healthy would be Heyer, Braun, Battle, Czinano and Hart according to my take. Holloway and Zie not yet cleared to practice.
Oh yeah. In my head I counted the 4 freshies and now I realize that doesn’t quite work 😂

Nice write up by SHGopher! I don’t know if she normally presses or not but took her answer more as too soon to know. To press you need to know what your team looks like. Requires depth to execute and to some degree to practice. Hard to know with five girls available.
Spring workouts can countinue until April 26th. Then players off until June.
Dead period for recruits visits started today. Can talk on phone to recruits.
Unsettled time none of coaches know where they are living yet.
Busy on road recruiting/ evaluating soon.

Last edited:

Also just remembered, when talking transfer portal and recruiting, her relationships with coaches came up and the basketball community.

Talked about how recruiting is usually a long process with relationships including the family. And then the transfer portal today can move much quicker.

Also talked briefly about NCAA Tournament. She knows the Iowa coaches, she said. Briefly mentioned the Division II tournament and how her kids who play have been involved with that and sort of Coach P as a mom.

This is probably not much different than in the men's game (e.g., Dan Hurley), but the thing that has struck me about coaching in the women's game is how so many of the best coaches bring big energy to their teams. We saw it here with the immediate transformation under Oldfield. Watching Kim Mulkey through this tournament: wow, the energy and intensity! And I'm getting the same with Coach P: I can see her driving her players to bigger accomplishments with the enthusiasm and energy she brings. My wife and friends and I are already talking about getting back into Gopher women's season tickets, and much of that is the feeling of enthusiasm our new coach is radiating.

This is probably not much different than in the men's game (e.g., Dan Hurley), but the thing that has struck me about coaching in the women's game is how so many of the best coaches bring big energy to their teams. We saw it here with the immediate transformation under Oldfield. Watching Kim Mulkey through this tournament: wow, the energy and intensity! And I'm getting the same with Coach P: I can see her driving her players to bigger accomplishments with the enthusiasm and energy she brings. My wife and friends and I are already talking about getting back into Gopher women's season tickets, and much of that is the feeling of enthusiasm our new coach is radiating.
Curious as to how many fans believe that the only way to know if a coach is bringing energy and enthusiasm to a team is if they are visibly demonstrative to the average fan watching on TV or halfway up in the stands. Personally, I've been around more than a few coaches who have great energy and enthusiasm but look perfectly calm most of the time on the sidelines. As a young athlete, I personally responded far better to a coach who was cool and measured as opposed to one who was a screamer.

I liked Kenny Brooks demeanor of Virginia Tech. And my preference for women coaches is female. I’m excited about Coach P and can’t wait to see what next year brings.

Curious as to how many fans believe that the only way to know if a coach is bringing energy and enthusiasm to a team is if they are visibly demonstrative to the average fan watching on TV or halfway up in the stands. Personally, I've been around more than a few coaches who have great energy and enthusiasm but look perfectly calm most of the time on the sidelines. As a young athlete, I personally responded far better to a coach who was cool and measured as opposed to one who was a screamer.

I agree with this. The sport is compelling enough through the players on the court. It doesn't need over-the-top demonstrative coaches on the sidelines or trash talk to draw in simpleton viewers who can't appreciate the sport in it's organic form.

Although I did enjoy Bobby Knight throwing chairs...

Enthusiasm and energy take different forms, as you note. Tony Dungy's book on leadership recalled a high school basketball coach where he grew up who won all the time, but did nearly no talking during the game. Tony was shocked why he wouldn't "coach" during the game, and then found out what he did in practice and was confident enough in himself and his players that they would do what they had been taught to do during the games. It worked. Not all leadership is the same.

My guess is most coaches would feel out of place drawing attention through their clothes or their public antics. That doesn't mean they don't have energy. Being comfortable in their own skin and imparting what is necessary on who they lead is most important.

Top Bottom