Coach Mo Named "Assistant Head Coach"

Nick Saban doesn't win because he spends 24/7/365 coaching football and making game day decisions.

It doesn't matter how much time he spends on it. He is better at it than most. He's a terrible interview, that obviously doesn't matter. He has plenty of players that get into trouble. The best coaches are guys that can recruit, coach football, make game day decisions, and surround themselves with others that can do the same. Interviews, being a leader of men, selling the program...sure that takes up a lot of time, and is part of coaching, but that stuff doesn't affect wins and losses nearly as much as the other stuff.

For 2017, it absolutely had to be, and it was.
For 2018 it still needs to be.

Part of my opinion on the head coach coaching football is that his affect there is small compared to the coaches he hires if the game plans are being put together by the coordinators.

When to go for two, when to call time outs, and when to over-ride the coordinators calls, and clock management all seem trivial compared to getting better players and promoting your program.

Of course, at some point you have to win though.
I've seen nothing this year that makes me think PJ is a bad game day coach.
People who want to grade him harshly there can, but I think this talent would have gone 4-8 to 6-6 with 90% of coaches in 2017.

Not with Claeys! HE WON 9 GAMES WITH THE SAME TEAM LAST YEAR!!! :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter how much time he spends on it. He is better at it than most. He's a terrible interview, that obviously doesn't matter. He has plenty of players that get into trouble. The best coaches are guys that can recruit, coach football, make game day decisions, and surround themselves with others that can do the same. Interviews, being a leader of men, selling the program...sure that takes up a lot of time, and is part of coaching, but that stuff doesn't affect wins and losses nearly as much as the other stuff.

If you coach at Alabama, I would put the need to market the program as #6 out of the six things I listed.

1. Recruiting
2. Managing the players / leading them off the field
3. Assembling and managing staff
4. Coaching football
5. Make game day decisions

6. Marketing the program / interviews

Unfortunately, we're not Alabama, Or Michigan, OSU, OK, FL, FL St, Texas, T A&M, etc.

Watching saban on the sidelines, I would say that coaching football is #1 or 2. He’s intense and has low tolerance for mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you coach at Alabama, I would put the need to market the program as #6 out of the six things I listed.

1. Recruiting
2. Managing the players / leading them off the field
3. Assembling and managing staff
4. Coaching football
5. Make game day decisions

6. Marketing the program / interviews

Unfortunately, we're not Alabama, Or Michigan, OSU, OK, FL, FL St, Texas, T A&M, etc.

I'd put the need for marketing Alabama off the list. Paul Finebaum, ESPN, College Game Day, CBS, and every major CFB sports writer markets Alabama.

Please enlighten us then on what a head coach does and what the assistants do since you have been in that element.

"Every Week A Season" by Brian Curtis is an exceptional book that gives readers great insight on the roles and responsibilities of CFB Coaches. While somewhat outdated, it is a great read - if interested.
Features: Saban, Richt, Lubick, Alvarez, Fulmer among others. Curtis got to spend a week with each program and documented how things work. If aspiring to be a HC, it is a must read IMO.

Watching saban on the sidelines, I would say that coaching football is #1 or 2. He’s intense and has low tolerance for mistakes.

Well, you're kind of proving my point.

What coaches aren't intense and which have high tolerances for mistakes?

He’s not coaching, he’s yelling at the players and assistants that coach them usually.

Yeah, that didn’t really come off how I meant. I don’t really see Saban as the detached CEO type. He is on defensive and offensive players for small details, not just obvious plays and mistakes. He is a coach before anything else imo. That’s why he’s won so much. Urban is the same.

Yeah, that didn’t really come off how I meant. I don’t really see Saban as the detached CEO type. He is on defensive and offensive players for small details, not just obvious plays and mistakes. He is a coach before anything else imo. That’s why he’s won so much. Urban is the same.

You see intense coaches among those who lose as well.

It's not like being an intense coach is the secret to success.

From what I can discern, recruiting good players can help a team win more than coaching.

Actually, your point was that giving lots of interviews is more important than being able to coach football. Keep digging.

Actually, your point was that giving lots of interviews is more important than being able to coach football.

And now back to post #45, since you dodged the actual point of that post last time:

Being the head coach actually has a lot less to do with the game of football than you might think.

And now back to post #45, since you dodged the actual point of that post last time:

Being the head coach actually has a lot less to do with the game of football than you might think.

Post #45. Where you pointed out I have no clue as I have never been a B1G coach then in the very next paragraph pretended you know how it is. Yeah, I ignored that.

Being a HC has a ton to do outside of coaching football. All of which are important for the team's success. No problem there. My problem is this notion that ability to coach football ranks like #5 on importance - below marketing and doing interviews.

Being a HC has a ton to do outside of coaching football. All of which are important for the team's success. No problem there. My problem is this notion that ability to coach football ranks like #5 on importance - below marketing and doing interviews.

The head coach doesn't teach technique to players -- that's what the position coaches are for.
The head coach doesn't come up with the game plan each week -- that's what the coordinators are for.

I think the exaggerations can go both ways, sure. For example, I'm certain that there is no HC at a P5 school who didn't come up through the ranks of being a position coach for many years, and most of which were also coordinators at some point (with some notable exceptions). So in other words, all the HC's do have the ability to coach.

But that is not the task that they spend most of their time and effort on. And that's the point.

But that is not the task that they spend most of their time and effort on. And that's the point.

I wouldn't know. I've never been a B1G Coach. I am so naive that I thought being able to coach football was more important than doing interviews. I'm learning. Now I'm just wondering why teams don't look for motivational speakers to become their HC instead of successful coordinators or other head coaches?

I wouldn't know. I've never been a B1G Coach. I am so naive that I thought being able to coach football was more important than doing interviews. I'm learning. Now I'm just wondering why teams don't look for motivational speakers to become their HC instead of successful coordinators or other head coaches?

I don't think it's difficult at all to understand that just because the head guy isn't doing the work itself, doesn't mean that it's not necessary for him to know how that work should be done.

Same for CEOs.

I don't think it's difficult at all to understand that just because the head guy isn't doing the work itself, doesn't mean that it's not necessary for him to know how that work should be done.

Same for CEOs.

What do I know - I have never been a B1G coach. Thanks for the info Glenn.

Actually, your point was that giving lots of interviews is more important than being able to coach football. Keep digging.

No.
What I was saying is marketing the program / giving interviews is more important that the coaching at this point in the program.

From your earlier response, I think you disagreed with me and admitted as much.

If you're willing to outline how coaching differently would have been better than marketing the program, which led to at least Bateman coming to the U of M, we can go down that rabbit hole.
But I'm not going to join you on debates about how often we should pass when down by 30 with a QB and WR's we don't really think can execute against bad weather or a tough defense.

No.
What I was saying is marketing the program / giving interviews is more important that the coaching at this point in the program.

And As I said many posts ago, I now understand the fundamental disagreement between us. I think that statement is crazy talk. You don't.

And As I said many posts ago, I now understand the fundamental disagreement between us. I think that statement is crazy talk. You don't.

But as you admitted, you have no idea what a head coach is supposed to do.

So .... that's kinda that ...

But as you admitted, you have no idea what a head coach is supposed to do.

So .... that's kinda that ...

Yep. A really insightful poster, who said he was a B1G HC, told me you can't know if you weren't a B1G coach. Therefore, his opinion is fact. Even I can see that.

Yep. A really insightful poster, who said he was a B1G HC, told me you can't know if you weren't a B1G coach. Therefore, his opinion is fact. Even I can see that.

So you admit that you have no idea, but want to continue to argue that someone else's opinion about the subject is crazy.

So you admit that you have no idea, but want to continue to argue that someone else's opinion about the subject is crazy.

No, I admit I have never been a head coach. Someone else told me that means I have no idea. From there you would have to understand sarcasm......

No, I admit I have never been a head coach.

That's the same thing.

Doesn't at all mean you can't have an opinion -- just that you can't call anyone else's opinion crazy.

That's the same thing.

Doesn't at all mean you can't have an opinion -- just that you can't call anyone else's opinion crazy.

Fine. IMO, saying interviews is more important than coaching ability is crazy talk. Better? Thought that was implied on here.

You, self admittedly, do not possess sufficient credibility in this subject to have the opinion or make a statement that someone else's opinion in this subject is crazy.

You, self admittedly, do not possess sufficient credibility in this subject to have the opinion or make a statement that someone else's opinion in this subject is crazy.

He certainly can say the opinion is crazy. It doesn't mean he's right or you're wrong though. He can say what he wants though. He's entitled to his opinion just like anyone else.

Fine. IMO, saying interviews is more important than coaching ability is crazy talk. Better? Thought that was implied on here.

No, it was marketing the program and doing interviews.

As any head coach...the most important thing is to be yourself...do it your way. PJ absolutely does that. Most impressive thing to me in year zero: We had 20 or whatever guys committed in August (exact details aren't the point) and PJ kept them all to the finish line and added 6 or 7 highly rated guys to finish the class off. They all wanted to be here so bad, they all signed immediately....as soon as they could. To me that is very encouraging. The players believe in his vision. The incoming players are all in! That gives me hope.

PJ's words to the media, fans etc are what make me nervous. They are not consistent. But, what I see occurring, what I observe, that tells me there is a chance. He showed statistically in 2016 he can coach. I can get on board with that philosophy. Now, if PJ would talk less to the media and dial in on one message when he does talk, then I'd be even more excited.

Top Bottom