Coach Kill Student Appreciation

twinsfan21

Reaction score

Haven't seen a thread on this, feel free to delete if I'm duplicating something.

What are everyone's thoughts on Coach Kill buying students lunch before the game tomorrow? A nice gesture? PR stunt? Both?

Personally, I think even if it is somewhat of a stunt, it's a nice gesture by the Kills -- as much as we wish the student section was bigger/more vibrant, I give a ton of credit to the students that do show up every game no matter what.

There's been a few more articles about it too:

http://www.bigten.org/blog/2011/10/coach-kill-offering-game-day-lunch.html

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/132668088.html

http://www.mndaily.com/2011/10/27/quick-hitters

I have been impressed with the student section. They seem to stay pretty happy throughout the game.

Definitely a nice gesture but not unprecedented. Coaches do this all of the time for students that camp out overnight to get GA student section seats for basketball or football. Unless you see Kill actually signing the credit card slip or handing over a wad of cash - I doubt he's technically paying for this out of his own pocket. He probably negotiated a grossed up bonus as part of his contract he just signed. I know how these types of things work :p

The dude that started firejerrykill.com will probably be the 1st one in line with his hand out.

I am proud to say that, as a student, I have not missed a single minute of football at home this year. Don't just give every student the stereotype that they don't go to the games, because there is a still a good number of us that stay the whole time.

I am proud to say that, as a student, I have not missed a single minute of football at home this year. Don't just give every student the stereotype that they don't go to the games, because there is a still a good number of us that stay the whole time.

I've actually been relatively impressed with the students this year. They're loud, a couple new cheers I don't recognize from years past, and it seems like more people are showing up/staying late than last season.

Definitely a nice gesture but not unprecedented. Coaches do this all of the time for students that camp out overnight to get GA student section seats for basketball or football. Unless you see Kill actually signing the credit card slip or handing over a wad of cash - I doubt he's technically paying for this out of his own pocket. He probably negotiated a grossed up bonus as part of his contract he just signed. I know how these types of things work :p

Never have heard this before. What other coaches have done this?

All I ask is that the 40 Iowa students don't take 100 hot dogs each and feed the Hawkeye cheeleaders.

Never have heard this before. What other coaches have done this?

Coach Monson used to buy pizzas for students before some of the games, although this was earlier in his tenure at the U.

Roy Williams brought doughnuts every single game day at KU for the students camping out. He never missed a game. I believe Larry Brown did this as well at KU.

Go Gophers!!

Classy gesture from a coach that knows the importance of the student body.

Top Bottom