Coach Kill - Lessons Learned (Star Tribune Interview)

Bunch of stuff I love in this article:

"You've slowly seen kids start to buy into what we're telling them to do, from the weight room to the classroom to discipline."

"We weren't very deep last year, but with Rodrick Williams coming in, K.J. (Maye), James Gillum, adding them to the rest of the kids,"
With Maye being recruited as an athlete, I find it really interesting that Coach Kill immediately lumps him in very early with the RB's.

"Ra'Shede Hageman, he was outstanding in the spring. I think he can be a force in the Big Ten, I believe that."
Please let this happen.

"Oh yeah, our back end is improved."
Uhm...awkward.

"It's young, but I think it's highly talented and has a lot of speed. Moving Derrick Wells back to safety, Cedric Thompson having a true spring back there -- those are 210-pound safeties that run 4.5 -- that's something we needed. And Brock Vereen, he tweaked his knee but he's 100 percent. Plus, we brought in three J.C. kids, and we were fortunate -- I think we've hit on all three. So we have some depth there that we didn't have last year."
Sorely needed.

"But every once in a while, I think about what we've done, where we've been, and you think about seeing some people smile. Making them feel good about the program. I probably daydream more about the people in the state of Minnesota, making them feel good, because they're so passionate. I do want that for our people."
Never heard a coach say something like that.

I hope Kill never leaves.

If you don't have a man crush for Coach Kill, you ain't a man.

Q How realistic is a six-win season?

A Our goals are higher than that. ....

Q How realistic is a six-win season?

A Our goals are higher than that. ....

Love it.

Kill originally didn't want to commit to the GLC Senior Banquet (usually scheduled for the Sunday after the last game of the season) to avoid distractions with a bowl game. It is now back on the schedule to accommodate Senior's parents that are in town for the MSU game.

Who doesn't love this nugget:

"Q [Freshman receiver] Andre McDonald said you're the best ping-pong player he's ever seen. Are you really that good?

A Andre exaggerates. I just played a lot back when I was Andre's age."

I am skeptical of Kill, but I really enjoyed his answers in that Q&A. Thanks for the link.

If you have blood in your veins, how do you not get excited when you hear or read coach Kill. It still boils down to recruiting, but I think most of us forget he is just starting his second year. Jerry, Jerry Jerry.

If you have blood in your veins, how do you not get excited when you hear or read coach Kill. It still boils down to recruiting, but I think most of us forget he is just starting his second year. Jerry, Jerry Jerry.
Personally winning boils down to:
Vision
Plan
believing in your plan
training
keeping players in school
playing mostly seniors and juniors
have some luck-no injuries to key players
recruiting players who fit the system, who are willing to work harder than they ever had. Not recruiting players just because of their star ratings.
Personally I am excited about this coach and his vision and plan. We will see positive results on the field.

This guy could sell a ketchup popsical to a woman in white gloves. Believe me, we will start to see more and more star recruits arriving here in the years to come. Can you imagine what mom and dad think after an in-home visit from this guy?

MrC said:
If you don't have a man crush for Coach Kill, you ain't a man.

I'm not sure about that - but he WILL go down as being a great U of M coach. Just my optimistic opinion.

I like the interview. I would like 6-6 a lot better.
I agree 100% that gray needs to stay healthy for this team to have any success. It is tough when the key to your season is a running qb. You have to walk the fine line of production and injury risk.

Personally winning boils down to:
Vision
Plan
believing in your plan
training
keeping players in school
playing mostly seniors and juniors
have some luck-no injuries to key players
recruiting players who fit the system, who are willing to work harder than they ever had. Not recruiting players just because of their star ratings.
Personally I am excited about this coach and his vision and plan. We will see positive results on the field.

Well told.

Top Bottom