Coach Kill and the Slow Down Rule for "safety"

akgo4

Reaction score
I haven't seen it if it is out there, but is Coach Kill on record about his take on the proposed legislation for the minimum 10 seconds before the ball is snapped rule? I see earlier today the vote was suspended on it, so it could be better studied for its safety implications.

More curious on this because our system has a lot of spread components, but it is (at least right now) very run-heavy and slow down. Thanks,

My guess is Coach Kill is "for" the rule, maybe not necessarily for safety reasons but for competitive reasons. He's made comments in the past about not being able to keep up with the no-huddle attacks that make it tough to substitute and get a defensive call in. I don't believe he's commented on this specific proposed rule though.

My guess is Coach Kill is "for" the rule, maybe not necessarily for safety reasons but for competitive reasons. He's made comments in the past about not being able to keep up with the no-huddle attacks that make it tough to substitute and get a defensive call in. I don't believe he's commented on this specific proposed rule though.

This would be a good question on Sports Huddle.

I think that the majority of coaches who claim to be for the rule aren't really for it because of player safety issues as much as they are for it because of competitive reasons. With player safety concerns being the hot button issue of the day it just gives them an easier argument to make.

I read a Nick Saban quote that really captures how I feel about how the games is evolving. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, that the game is becoming "less and less about blocking and tackling and more about trying to hurry to the line as fast as you can so the defense can't get set". As I watch all of the no huddle offenses running up and down the field it seems as though we're getting away from the nuts and bolts of the game.

This would be a good question on Sports Huddle.

Well let's just hope he doesn't give Bret Bielema's response. I wouldn't believe surprised if his answer was we needed to study this first but what ever it is, I am sure it will be better than Bret's.

I think that the majority of coaches who claim to be for the rule aren't really for it because of player safety issues as much as they are for it because of competitive reasons. With player safety concerns being the hot button issue of the day it just gives them an easier argument to make.

I read a Nick Saban quote that really captures how I feel about how the games is evolving. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, that the game is becoming "less and less about blocking and tackling and more about trying to hurry to the line as fast as you can so the defense can't get set". As I watch all of the no huddle offenses running up and down the field it seems as though we're getting away from the nuts and bolts of the game.

Good point.

cry cry cry Mr Saban. All this is is that coaches have found the newest way to manipulate the game (forward pass, option attack, wildcat) only this time it's about as drastic as the forward pass was. It gives you an entirely new element of the game to exploit. It enables you to use the philosophy that you know what you're running and can exploit a defense that's gameplanning to stop the plays. The tempo tips the scales to your side. It's another manipulation tactic that isn't going anywhere and brings another mental aspect to the game. And mental aspects of the game are every bit if not more so important than things like wrapping up when you tackle.

Maybe we should wait to see what each of coaches say before we guess how they feel about it.

Ask the question Sunday, Dave.

cry cry cry Mr Saban. All this is is that coaches have found the newest way to manipulate the game (forward pass, option attack, wildcat) only this time it's about as drastic as the forward pass was. It gives you an entirely new element of the game to exploit. It enables you to use the philosophy that you know what you're running and can exploit a defense that's gameplanning to stop the plays. The tempo tips the scales to your side. It's another manipulation tactic that isn't going anywhere and brings another mental aspect to the game. And mental aspects of the game are every bit if not more so important than things like wrapping up when you tackle.

I don't think its crying. Nick Saban seems to be doing just fine with the rules as they currently are. Its all about how you view the game of football and how you think it should be played.

Rules are tweaked in sports all of the time to change the way the game is played (i.e. the shot clock and three point shot in basketball). Personally I would like to see the game slowed down so that the play in the trenches is as important as it used to be. To me that is that backbone of the game. However, I realize that I'm in the minority on that and that the high scoring, run and gun games are here to stay.

Exactly, he sees his teams Iron Bowl future is bleak for the next several years and is scrambling to find a way to make his team more competitive.

Defenses just need to learn to adapt.

Excellent post. I don't live for the contact, but it's getting ridiculous. Joe Tiller used to call it "basketball on grass," and that's when only a handful of teams ran a touch-football offense. It's become almost all about isolated match-ups as opposed to across-the-board push.

Well, If Saban is against it than I am for it!

I wonder how many plays in all FBS were run with less than 10 seconds being run off. I bet it is pretty small, even for teams like Oregon.

I don't think its crying. Nick Saban seems to be doing just fine with the rules as they currently are. Its all about how you view the game of football and how you think it should be played.

Rules are tweaked in sports all of the time to change the way the game is played (i.e. the shot clock and three point shot in basketball). Personally I would like to see the game slowed down so that the play in the trenches is as important as it used to be. To me that is that backbone of the game. However, I realize that I'm in the minority on that and that the high scoring, run and gun games are here to stay.

I will readily debate that fact with you in regards to Saban doing just fine. Bama doesn't play that style. Their D does NOT play well against no huddle style teams. Reason? Because their scheme is that when you come to the line, they audible the D to adapt against your package. It's a damn smart philosophy and one that is also used in the NFL. Then if the other team audibles, and this is where Bama would crush teams (see ND in the ship), they audible back to your new set and your audible you just called gets blown up more times than not. The key for Bama defensively was remaining one step ahead of other teams which enabled them to be stifling defensively. Now when teams are rolling to the line running plays so fast, you can't try to audible your defensive package on the fly. There's just no way. It tips the hand back in the favor of the offense in that they know what's coming and the D has to play almost purely on instinct (which doesn't bode well for most college guys who have always been the best athlete on the field).

That's the reason the no huddle in college is so special in terms of manipulating the game. Players are not as mentally well developed as the pros so instinct and memory of sets is not as readily available. Most of these guys use their athleticism to make plays. Now when you take away their slight advantage of being able to guess the opponents play pre-snap, they have to try process that all as the game is coming at them and most guys can't do it. It leads to them being a step late, blowing assignments, and scrambling to make up which leads to the one on one missed tackles where guys are too rapidly over-pursuing to try make up for an earlier error (if you doubt this, look at the number of false steps LBs take and how often they aren't lined up quite right pre snap). Coaches know this and know if we can get plays off more rapidly they can exploit this more readily. It's the same concept we try to use when throwing our jet motion in, just in a different facet. If you wanted to get back to the olden days where line play was the key (which hey I do still pay close attention to the line as it's interesting and integral in football), then eliminate all pre snap motion and make teams try to scheme with sets and athletes and just let them duke it out. The hurry up attack is an exploit of the mental development of the players and personally I find it makes it exciting to watch and keeps me guessing what's coming (I like to play defensive coordinator from my couch :D )

I wonder how many plays in all FBS were run with less than 10 seconds being run off. I bet it is pretty small, even for teams like Oregon.

I think it is usually 14-15 seconds between plays for Oregon.

Plus the only time teams use less than 10 seconds is near the end of the half, when the rule wouldn't apply.

I do think it makes for an interesting debate. I think what gets forgotten is that there is a risk to the teams running the hurry-up offense as well, namely that they are more susceptible to mixing up snap counts or plays when they don't take the time to all get in the huddle and discuss what is coming up next.

In this instance, I think using the hurry up is a legitimate way, with costs and benefits, to try to give yourself an advantage over a defense.

This does not mean that there is no circumstance where an exploitation of the current rules would cause me to advocate for changing the rules to stamp it out due to adverse effects on the sport (see Sean Avery rule). I just don't think that running an up-tempo offense is that kind of situation.

Top Bottom