Coach Johnson discusses the newly signed recruits

Story from Grayson's hometown newspapaper by Sam Stuve of Alexandria Echo Press

Strong relationships lead Grove to the Gophers​

Grove didn't have to think too long about committing to the Gophers in May after getting an offer on Apr. 2, 2023, and taking his official visit to campus on May 12-14, 2023. He committed to the Gophers on the weekend of his official visit , and a strong relationship with the coaching staff is a big reason why he's going to play for them.

"They did a really good job of showing their vision for me and the program," Grove said to the Echo Press on Wednesday. "They want to create a personal connection with me. It feels great to finally have it locked in and written down on paper. I'm super excited to be part of the team."

The Gophers are excited about his skill set, and they were interested in him early.

"I'm looking forward to adding Grayson to the program," Minnesota head coach Ben Johnson said in a press release on Nov. 8, 2023. "He's a player that we tracked early in the process and knew his skill set fits how we want to play. Grayson's developmental mindset fits our program. He competes at a high level and does things the right way, both on and off the court. Grayson's a great competitor and will only strengthen our frontcourt. He comes from a great family, and we're ready for him to be a Gopher."

Grove, a 6-foot-9 forward, is coming off a junior season where he averaged 20 points, 8.2 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 2.4 steals, and 1.7 blocks per game while shooting 57.8 percent from the field (38.7 percent from the three-point line).

He finished the season as Alexandria's team MVP, an All-Central Lakes Conference selection, and made the Class 3A State Tournament Team while helping the Cardinals to a fourth-place finish at the state tournament.

Grove and Isaac Asuma (Cherry, MN) both had their signing days on Wednesday.

• Grove had ankle surgery over the summer and missed most of the AAU season with the D1 Minnesota program but recovered in time to play at the end of the boys soccer season for Alexandria. He was an all-conference honorable mention this season and has earned all-conference honors in the past.

With a season to prepare for the college level, Grove is working on honing his craft offensively.

"I'm working on ball-handling and spot-up shots," Grove said. "I want to make big shots, clutch shots. And I want to dominate in the paint."

As far as team goals go, Grove is focused on guiding his team to another deep run at the state tournament.

"We have a lot of guys back from last year, and we're ready to work hard," Grove said.

This interview gives me the impression (at least Ben’s thought) is it would have to take a reaaaally bad season for Coyle not to give him one more year. Hanging our hat on the players, but also Ben developing this season. Hopefully we stay healthy and it’s not even a concern come tournament time.

There was a story - I believe in the Strib - where Grove said he has put on 30 pounds since his Junior season. and he was the goal-keeper for his HS soccer team.

the guy is a project, but I like the athletic ability. just have to see how he develops.

There was a story - I believe in the Strib - where Grove said he has put on 30 pounds since his Junior season. and he was the goal-keeper for his HS soccer team.

the guy is a project, but I like the athletic ability. just have to see how he develops.
I would consider the walk on from New Life a project more than Grove. Regardless 30 lbs is a lot.

Soccer players have the best feet 🦶- no pun intended. Also, many people consider soccer and basketball players the best athletes.

I have a feeling that these two guys are going to be a cornerstone in turning this program along with Christie and Payne. They are not highly rated 4-5* guys but when they hit the national scene this past summer, they played at a high level. It's just a hunch. More winning starts this year. Next year is NCAA tournament.

He looks pretty solid on the pic and more than 200 lbs.

FWIW - Hugh school rosters are notoriously unreliable- I was two inches taller and 15 lbs heavier.

I've told this story before. when my brother was a SR in HS, our basketball team made it to the District Finals. in the program for the game, our Head Coach submitted heights that were.......creative. basically, everyone on the team suddenly was at least 2" taller. we looked great in the program - but Preston threw a half-court trap on us and we couldn't adjust.

I've told this story before. when my brother was a SR in HS, our basketball team made it to the District Finals. in the program for the game, our Head Coach submitted heights that were.......creative. basically, everyone on the team suddenly was at least 2" taller. we looked great in the program - but Preston threw a half-court trap on us and we couldn't adjust.
40 times were always fun and creative in my experience too - you think we would have won more than 3 games in 2 years with all the sub 4.7 (and less) burners we had.

I was born in Spring Valley as Preston, where we lived at the time, didn't have a hospital...

How many more spots do they have open? Are they saving any for the portal?

If Purcells scholarship is for only 1 year, like Ramberg last year, than it would seem they have one open. Wilson and Fox are seniors, Azusa and Grove coming in. There have been some speculating that Fox could possibly have one more after this year but I’m not sure if that’s accurate.

If Purcells scholarship is for only 1 year, like Ramberg last year, than it would seem they have one open. Wilson and Fox are seniors, Azusa and Grove coming in. There have been some speculating that Fox could possibly have one more after this year but I’m not sure if that’s accurate.
Fox is a red shirt senior, I'm pretty sure he has a COVID year left if he wants it that would not go against the 13 scholarships.

Wilson and Ramberg are done everybody else could come back. Purcell could open up a third spot and transfers depend on who stays Fox Garcia.

Fox is a red shirt senior, I'm pretty sure he has a COVID year left if he wants it that would not go against the 13 scholarships.
Every scholarship used goes against the 13.

Every scholarship used goes against the 13.
Right you are, so they are at max if everyone comes back with Wilson's and Purcell's scholarships being used by Grove and Asuma.

Garcia is likely gone after this year

Right you are, so they are at max if everyone comes back with Wilson's and Purcell's scholarships being used by Grove and Asuma.
Aside from Garcia leaving, ‘d say it’s more probable than not thst there’ll be a transfer

The Covid year still goes against scholarship number.

Go Blue Jays!!!

I still think I’m the only 5’11” player listed as G/F/C in state tournament history.

At least since 1970.

Top Bottom