Coach Interviews

FreakyDeke

picked a dumb moniker
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't read the comments section of article on the Strib's website...but I guess I'm a little sadistic. Most people there (and a few here) constantly rip Brew for hyping players and coaches, saying stuff like "I couldn't be more excited" or "he's one of the most dynamic blah blah blah." I agree that it's better to let the play on the field speak for itself, under-promise and over-produce, and all that...but what are you supposed to say with a mic in your face? I don't really remember what Mason said when asked about new players and coaches and I don't pay that close attention to other programs, but what is it about Brew's comments that rub people the wrong way compared to other coaches? Is a coach supposed to say "No comment" when asked about an incoming freshman or new coach? That wouldn't fly either. I suppose the same comments coming from a 9-3 coach don't receive the same treatment as a 6-7 coach, so let's just hope that's soon! Thoughts?

He's supposed to say,"They're the best we could get, which isn't saying much. Nobody good wants to come poor ol' lowly Minnesota. Ho hum. I guess we can look forward to another losing season...again. You should probably fire me...but we are just Minnesota so the next coach probably wont be any better."

Then Brew is expected to make a string of self-depreciating comments just like any good Minnesotan would.

Look at the first one, if it is brewsterhaha (ph) and it almost always is, click the hide reader comments link above.

Then Brew is expected to make a string of self-depreciating comments just like any good Minnesotan would.

Nailed it there. Minnesotans don't like to toot their own horns or talk big in general and I think that is why a lot of people have issues with him.

Top Bottom