Coach Fleck’s New Look

Agreed, but it's pretty indicative how way down deep there's a segment of Gopher fans who just don't trust PJ.
Very, very true. All of these wild theories on top of that. There is a danger to bungee cords and other bands. A friend of mine lost an eye due a large rubber band of sorts on her brief case that snapped.

Agreed, but it's pretty indicative how way down deep there's a segment of Gopher fans who just don't trust PJ.
You think this is it? I think most of us who have noticed his new face like him as our coach. I think PJ is a really good football coach. I also think he probably got cosmetic surgery on his face. I'm not sure why those things would need to be mutually exclusive.

Most people who have cosmetic surgery aren't exactly 100% honest about it, so I don't even begrudge the potential white lie here.

I still don’t really understand the whole thing: he gets hit with a bungee cord in 2019, nobody notices during the following two seasons and then suddenly he does a procedure where according to this board, his eyes were removed and put back in (😆) and now he has a new look. Lol! Whole thing is so weird and one of the reasons I dig this message board

If it was for a medical condition, I think that settles the matter. I think some people were speculating that it was for cosmetic purposes only.

Hey, I have been known to put off scheduling medical procedures, and I am not as busy as a D1 Head FB Coach. (I need to schedule a colonoscopy this year, and am still procrastinating....)

If it was beginning to impact his vision, then the timing makes sense.

This may also explain why Fleck has been seen wearing glasses more often the last couple of years. Possibly could not wear contacts due to the situation with his eyes.

And, let's face it - the Gophers (like most D1 programs) keep most player injuries as secret as possible. Why should the Head Coach be any different?

As someone with a close family member who has recently had this exact same procedure, I understand why he might not want to talk about it. But your eye lids don’t suddenly lift and eye bags completely disappear from a ‘bungee cord accident’.

I still don’t really understand the whole thing: he gets hit with a bungee cord in 2019, nobody notices during the following two seasons and then suddenly he does a procedure where according to this board, his eyes were removed and put back in (😆) and now he has a new look. Lol! Whole thing is so weird and one of the reasons I dig this message board
You underestimate how sneaky PJ is.

He underestimated how observant / the number of highly qualified internet doctors this forum has!

/s

I don’t think anyone needs to be a doctor…

G4L probably hit the nail on the head, but PJF is being circumspect and and that’s his right as a public figure.

Wait, PJ Fleck never sleeps. When does he find the time with his frenetic schedule? Throw in the Pandemic and a plethora of pain and heartaches his players have gone through?
Plus he might only have so much in FSA/HSA funds/year. And a guy like PJ probably spends them all in the 1st quarter.

You underestimate how sneaky PJ is.

He underestimated how observant / the number of highly qualified internet doctors this forum has!

/s
Just as sneaky as just about every other human who has ever had plastic surgery. Get this, I heard some guys who get hair plugs don't advertise that they're bald too. Wild world.

Wow, amazing that people get hung up on this. This issue is minor compared to everything else in this world.

As someone with a close family member who has recently had this exact same procedure, I understand why he might not want to talk about it. But your eye lids don’t suddenly lift and eye bags completely disappear from a ‘bungee cord accident’.
This.

Just look at the Tweet that FredCox posted from July 2019. Some bruising, but really not that noticeable unless you're right up in his grill. Doubt he lost vision, with the way he moves around and is animated.

PJ is a master at wording things very carefully, to let everything think that he's saying a certain thing, but actually if you go back he didn't. He wants everyone to take the step to believing that the bungee cord thing caused a medical necessity for him to get this facial surgery. But then if you go back, he technically never quite says that. Chip says it.

Does any of this matter? No. Not at all.

In fact, does this "white lie" (if you want to call it that) mean that I don't/can't trust him as the Gopher football coach? The two things are completely unrelated. So, of course I trust him to do what he thinks is best for Gopher football. Without doubt.

i would never judge someone for wanting to get work done in an attempt to try to look younger. does it betray deep seated insecurity? yes. it is easy to be harrison ford, sean connery, sam elliot, or tom selleck and to age well. it is more difficult to be an aspirant 5'9" former mac wide receiver with one career nfl game played who is the head football coach for a midlevel college football team tucked away in the upper midwest. i say more power to him.

Last edited:

i would never judge someone for wanting to get work done in an attempt to try to look younger. does it betray deep seated insecurity? yes. it is easy to be harrison ford, sean connery, sam elliot, or tom selleck and to age well. it is more difficult to be an aspirant 5'9" former mac wide receiver with one career nfl game played who is the head football coach for a midlevel college football team tucked away in the upper midwest. i say more power to him.
Or, you know, there was actually a medical need but it wasn't life or death so it was pushed back due to a global pandemic which delayed all kinds of procedures.

Not sure why it is so hard for some to take him at his word on this one.

Coach Fleck's New Look is now the biggest side attraction. We are not talking about quarterbacks throwing tight spirals anymore.

There is always something to talk about.

Last edited:

I showed both videos to my wife. She's a facial reconstruction surgeon. Without putting any preconceived ideas into her brain, she said it looks like he has had an upper blepharoplasty. She said it's "when someone has a droopy eyelid, you take out a bit of eyelid."
Isn't that what they do to pugs so they don't scratch their eyes with all the rolls and folds

Coach Fleck's New Look is now the biggest side attraction. We are not talking about quarterbacks throwing tight spirals anymore.

There is always something to talk about.

Hey, at least the conversation is evolving. It has gone from "what happened" to "is coach lying about what happened". That's progress.....I think....

Or, you know, there was actually a medical need but it wasn't life or death so it was pushed back due to a global pandemic which delayed all kinds of procedures.

Not sure why it is so hard for some to take him at his word on this one.
I really want to but PJ seems (to me) like the kind of guy who would get elective cosmetic surgery. He's on TV all the time and very image conscious. He seems to be very progressive in his fashion sense and new age motivational management schtick. The medical need for the eyelid tuck seems dubious.

I really want to but PJ seems (to me) like the kind of guy who would get elective cosmetic surgery. He's on TV all the time and very image conscious. He seems to be very progressive in his fashion sense and new age motivational management schtick. The medical need for the eyelid tuck seems dubious.
The other scenario that really hasn't been discussed would be a combination of medical necessity and elective cosmetic surgery. He may very well have needed something done and while getting that done had other work done as well.

lol.....man we need more stuff to happen on the actual football end of things so that this thread can get pushed to the background.

The other scenario that really hasn't been discussed would be a combination of medical necessity and elective cosmetic surgery. He may very well have needed something done and while getting that done had other work done as well.

lol.....man we need more stuff to happen on the actual football end of things so that this thread can get pushed to the background.
Rich people's problems - what to do with all that pile of money, LOL! (sarcasm). If he said there is a medical necessity, I am taking his word for it.

Let's play some football!

Hey, at least the conversation is evolving. It has gone from "what happened" to "is coach lying about what happened". That's progress.....I think....
I think we are past the “is coach lying” to “why is he lying and/or does it matter he is lying” stage.

Top Bottom