Coach Fleck’s New Look

All joking aside, if this is something PJ wanted to get done...or had to get done, then more power to him. The wife made an interesting point this weekend, she said if PJ had really bad teeth (to which I asked, "like and Engishman?", but got no response), and then suddenly had his teeth corrected and fixed, everyone would be complimenting him on how great he looks and we would all be hitting the thumbs-up on social media.

Coach Kill did exactly this during his time at the U. Everyone said he looked great.

All I care about is Fleck beating Ferentz. I don't care if he does it with bags under his eyes or with his face so pumped up on botox that he can't even smile.

Go Fleck!!

And we have an update - from Chip Scoggins (Mpls Strib)

Fleck told Chip "he is aware of the change in his appearance with his eyes."

Fleck says he had an accident in Summer of 2019. A bungee cord flew back and hit him in the face. he had surgery in January to correct the damage.

Chip adds that Fleck "did not want to go into his injury in too much detail," but he said he will still be in the healing phase for a few more months. He said he feels better now.

Capture.PNG
This was an instagram post from Heather that was posted back in January/February (since deleted, likely due to comments about the eyes.) Honestly, it already looks like his facial muscles/eyelids are beginning to 'relax' back closer to their old form. Will he ever look completely like he did before? Who knows (probably not 100%?). That said, I don't really care as long as the program keeps succeeding.

And we have an update - from Chip Scoggins (Mpls Strib)

Fleck told Chip "he is aware of the change in his appearance with his eyes."

Fleck says he had an accident in Summer of 2019. A bungee cord flew back and hit him in the face. he had surgery in January to correct the damage.

Chip adds that Fleck "did not want to go into his injury in too much detail," but he said he will still be in the healing phase for a few more months. He said he feels better now.
I did comment a while ago that I noticed he had some dark markings on the temple by his right eye that looked new.

Last edited:

So, let me get this straight. Fleck:

• Had an injury in the summer of 2019
  • that affected both of his eye lids
  • and was so bad that it required surgery
  • but not for another 30+ months
  • and not that anybody had previously noticed

Yep, that checks out

Yep, that checks out
Great first post! Welcome to the board! Can't wait for more gems.

Great first post! Welcome to the board! Can't wait for more gems.
so...you disagree with something he said? or are you one of those "you don't have a lot of followers on twitter so your opinion isn't valid" kinda guys?

2 1/2 years does seem like a long time to wait to repair something serious, especially when money is no object and you want to be 100% to function in a tough job. Either way, hopefully he's good and will continue to heal.

so...you disagree with something he said? or are you one of those "you don't have a lot of followers on twitter so your opinion isn't valid" kinda guys?

2 1/2 years does seem like a long time to wait to repair something serious, especially when money is no object and you want to be 100% to function in a tough job. Either way, hopefully he's good and will continue to heal.

Maybe you remember, there was a pandemic?

I'd suggest that JimF go to the open spring practice, call Fleck over, and call him a liar to his face. Easy on anonymous message boards.

Just an odd first post. I guess I'm in the camp of, who cares what PJ does with his eyes as long as he's healthy?

Just an odd first post. I guess I'm in the camp of, who cares what PJ does with his eyes as long as he's healthy?

Do you think anyone here actually cares?

Seems like jimf cares quite a bit.

He kind of said what I was thinking.

Doesn't mean I actually care, I just think it's funny that someone can't just come out and say the baggy eyelids were bugging me and I got them fixed.

Did PJ skip breakfast?

Yep, that checks out
Eyes come in pairs. When you have an injury or droopy eyelids requiring blepharoplasty, they usually do both eyes to preserve symmetry.

His eyelids will heal if done right. Eventually, his natural look will be restored. It takes time.

My droopy eyelid surgery from a few years back did not come out as symmetrical. It is not very noticeable. I wish the surgeon had gone down further and had taken care of the baggies. Oh well, it did improve my peripheral vision. 🥺

Last edited:

If he was injured in summer, and it was not something that absolutely needed to be taken care of right away imagine Fleck decided he'd wait until after spring ball to get the surgery so he'd have plenty of time to heal up before the 2020 season. Then the pandemic hit and this was likely considered an elective surgery, so it kept getting delayed, and then the football season rolled around again. Probably right after the bowl game Fleck said "I just want to get this done and stop letting it be delayed".

If he was injured in summer, and it was not something that absolutely needed to be taken care of right away imagine Fleck decided he'd wait until after spring ball to get the surgery so he'd have plenty of time to heal up before the 2020 season. Then the pandemic hit and this was likely considered an elective surgery, so it kept getting delayed, and then the football season rolled around again. Probably right after the bowl game Fleck said "I just want to get this done and stop letting it be delayed".
Wait, PJ Fleck never sleeps. When does he find the time with his frenetic schedule? Throw in the Pandemic and a plethora of pain and heartaches his players have gone through?

A timeline like that would make a ton of sense. He could clearly function after the injury so the surgery wouldn't have been a necessity meaning with the pandemic it was almost certainly pushed back.

I do get a kick out of the fact that he answers the question that people have been asking and there are of course posters that want to doubt the answer in search of some other explanation.

Yep, that checks out
Holy sh*t, you got it! You did it! The case cracker! There never was in injury! It's a hoax! I love this! (With apologies to Vincent Gambini.)

I'd be shocked if PJ's story is true (not that I blame him for coming out with something). That said, I don't really care, it's kind of fun message board BS but PJ and his family should not have to continuously answer for his look. He looks fine, just different. He's a public figure, so we're all free to comment but he doesn't owe us any explanation and actually did us a favor by feeding us a white lie. We addressed the elephant in the room (he looks different).

I would like definitive proof this isn't a cyborg. But I won't press.

I'd be shocked if PJ's story is true (not that I blame him for coming out with something). That said, I don't really care, it's kind of fun message board BS but PJ and his family should not have to continuously answer for his look. He looks fine, just different. He's a public figure, so we're all free to comment but he doesn't owe us any explanation and actually did us a favor by feeding us a white lie. We addressed the elephant in the room (he looks different).

I would like definitive proof this isn't a cyborg. But I won't press.
If his time management next year is all of a sudden vastly better, we my have proof that he's a cyborg.

Sure, I believe the bungee cord thing from the summer of 2019 happened. I believe that. I believe that it cut him nasty near (thankfully not in!!!!) one of his eyes. I can also believe that the pandemic caused the delay in getting it fixed.

Clearly, he didn't look bad in 2020 or 2021 seasons. Nothing that anyone noticed before. There was never any thread called "wow, look at the scar near PJ's left eye, what happened???" (wild guessing left, here). If the injury affected his sight (in one eye), yeah obviously that would be a bad thing. But neither he nor anyone on the team said any such thing to any affect.

So my wild guess is that the bungee hook just left a nasty, but reasonably small, scar near one of his eyes. Cosmetic only.

Being cosmetic only would also speak to why a person would agree to such a hefty delay in getting the procedure done. If it's purely elective, well there you go.

If he had lost (partial) sight in one eye, wouldn't you get that taken care of immediately?

So he goes to a cosmetic surgeon to get that taken care of. And while in the consultation, he's either sold on and/or brings up the possibility of "killing two birds with one stone" "while they're in there".

If that's right, then I have to wonder privately if they're considering a suit against the doc. It was just obviously too much. Anyone can see that. (pun not intended :( ) Or perhaps would just settle as quietly as possible behind the scenes, that is much more PJ's style. Keep everything under wraps.

Sure, I believe the bungee cord thing from the summer of 2019 happened. I believe that. I believe that it cut him nasty near (thankfully not in!!!!) one of his eyes. I can also believe that the pandemic caused the delay in getting it fixed.

Clearly, he didn't look bad in 2020 or 2021 seasons. Nothing that anyone noticed before. There was never any thread called "wow, look at the scar near PJ's left eye, what happened???" (wild guessing left, here). If the injury affected his sight (in one eye), yeah obviously that would be a bad thing. But neither he nor anyone on the team said any such thing to any affect.

So my wild guess is that the bungee hook just left a nasty, but reasonably small, scar near one of his eyes. Cosmetic only.

Being cosmetic only would also speak to why a person would agree to such a hefty delay in getting the procedure done. If it's purely elective, well there you go.

If he had lost (partial) sight in one eye, wouldn't you get that taken care of immediately?

So he goes to a cosmetic surgeon to get that taken care of. And while in the consultation, he's either sold on and/or brings up the possibility of "killing two birds with one stone" "while they're in there".

If that's right, then I have to wonder privately if they're considering a suit against the doc. It was just obviously too much. Anyone can see that. (pun not intended :( ) Or perhaps would just settle as quietly as possible behind the scenes, that is much more PJ's style. Keep everything under wraps.
Good lord we need some news on the recruiting front or practice front..... :)

Good lord we need some news on the recruiting front or practice front..... :)
Agreed, but it's pretty indicative how way down deep there's a segment of Gopher fans who just don't trust PJ.

Not every comment in here is creepy, and arguably most / all aren't creepy.

But the scale kinda is...

Agreed, but it's pretty indicative how way down deep there's a segment of Gopher fans who just don't trust PJ.
I think there is a segment of our population that don't trust anything and always assume there is a hidden answer or motive.

Top Bottom