Closing out not going good

Reaction score
Hinojosha not enrolling early ( U admissions problem )
As reported on GI, McDonald was very close to committing to UCLA
Charlie Miller goes to Vanderbuilt.
Drew Davis switches to NC State
Gregory Purdue bound via info from Scout and Lemming.
Hopefuls :
Sibiea DT commit from Louisville had a good visit and will decide between Minnesota, Cincy, and Louisville
LB Jasmir Claxx from NJ might be back in the picture according to GI

Hinojosha not enrolling early ( U admissions problem )
As reported on GI, McDonald was very close to committing to UCLA
Charlie Miller goes to Vanderbuilt.
Drew Davis switches to NC State
Gregory Purdue bound via info from Scout and Lemming.
Hopefuls :
Sibiea DT commit from Louisville had a good visit and will decide between Minnesota, Cincy, and Louisville
LB Jasmir Claxx from NJ might be back in the picture according to GI

It is kinda frustrating, however we're not going to know whether this is a big deal for 3-4 years.
I'm actually very happy about the PWO commits and grayshirt candidates, this tells me Kill is able to get kids to turn down instant gratification and even full rides for a chance to be a part of the Gophers' program. That's a good sign.

As for the last minute switches, there will likely be more, and we will likely pick up a few, whether they have lots of stars after their name on some website remains to be seen.

The coaches have a plan in place, if prospect A turns them down then B gets an offer, if B turns them down then maybe they go with another position's A/B/C.
Our program doesn't have enough depth right now to be taking flight risks and academic/character risks. We have PT to sell, but back to back 3-9 seasons holding us back too.

We've locked up some nice players already, I think our S, Oline, QB, and TE positions have been upgraded and deepened with this class. We likely go after more sexy positions next year with the limited schollies available and hopefully land some skill position speed that will calm the star chasers.

Until then lets hope our foundation continues to get better with a large part of this class redshirting and with the continued development of guys we really haven't seen much from yet, especially on defense where we have some talent that redshirted last season .

Hino will likely just come this summer with the rest of the recruits.

Miller got his offer pulled after KJ Maye took the slot WR scholly.

And Gregory wants to be a QB. Gopher coaches told him they were full there and wanted him at WR.

Sucks to lose Davis, but I'd bet on them filling in another LB with equal potential. If we get McDonald or Sibea to come here we will have had a good finish. The class has been in place for a while. Just a couple closing touches here.

Hino will likely just come this summer with the rest of the recruits.

Miller got his offer pulled after KJ Maye took the slot WR scholly.

And Gregory wants to be a QB. Gopher coaches told him they were full there and wanted him at WR.

Sucks to lose Davis, but I'd bet on them filling in another LB with equal potential. If we get McDonald or Sibea to come here we will have had a good finish. The class has been in place for a while. Just a couple closing touches here.

Agree...there is still a week till signing...a lot can happen in this last week. If there was anything Brew did well, he had a strong finish whe it came to this week. I suspect similar to happen with Kill.

As for Davis, the Gophers have been working on those who committed to other teams. The fence swings both ways.

Next year will be very interesting indeed. Very few sure things on the defensive side of the ball and a lot of question marks on offense as well. The hope if the talent is there and we have just not seen it yet. This class doesn't seem to contain a lot of quick fix players that will be able to step in right away and play. May develop into a good class over time but no way of knowing that for sure until guys have been in the system for a few years.

We all want to believe Kill knows what he is doing and he is landing the kind of class he is looking for. Still makes me a little nervous when pretty much all the recruiting sites have us tabbed near the back of the conference and in some cases dead last behind even Indiana.

What is the deal with McDonald? Why does he seem so interested in going anywhere but the U? I thought with the commitment of Harbison he would be more interested in coming here and not getting doubled coverage 2 or 3 years from now. UCLA is just as bad as we are and he would have to go half way across the country away from friends and family to play for a program that honestly I think is farther away from turning it around than the Gophs.

What is the deal with McDonald? Why does he seem so interested in going anywhere but the U? I thought with the commitment of Harbison he would be more interested in coming here and not getting doubled coverage 2 or 3 years from now. UCLA is just as bad as we are and he would have to go half way across the country away from friends and family to play for a program that honestly I think is farther away from turning it around than the Gophs.

Some just want to go out of state. I know I did when picking the U for school.

A) I'm sure UCLA can find a receiver that will let McDonald not be triple-teamed and B) some people don't want to go to college minutes from home.

A) I'm sure UCLA can find a receiver that will let McDonald not be triple-teamed and B) some people don't want to go to college minutes from home.

Who knows, UCLA looked awful down the stretch this year. He would be loved by the fans here and I would prefer to play for Kill over Mora any day. Mora just doesn't seem like a winner to me.

Still makes me a little nervous when pretty much all the recruiting sites have us tabbed near the back of the conference and in some cases dead last behind even Indiana.

In the past Minnesota hasn't been exactly on fire. There is no doubt in my mind Jerry Kill knows exactly what he is doing and in my opinion it is not a suprise. He has said all along the word patience. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt for a few more years before I get all worked up over recruiting rankings.

I disagree Brewster closed well. We got burned on most of our highest rated recruits at the end, and wound up getting kids who should have had no stars instead of the four star guys they had been dropping hints to the mods about for months. Secondly, the reason I expect CKill to do well, is not because he will not lose kids, but he will not be stuck looking at kids he has never seen before very often when he does lose someone. We have a 8-10 players on the roster who were last minute "finds" when we lost higher ranked kids, and we did not have the evaluation skills to find good alternatives. A few like Perry have worked out, but the WRs have pretty much been wash outs. Many of them are not D1 talent athletically.
These guys have spent more time recruiting the preferred walk-ons than we did a lot of kids who wound up with scholarships under Brewster.

Were their any other commitments that were wavering on their decisions or was Davis the last remaining one?

I agree, if we get McDonald I think this class is a success. If McDonald skates off to UCLA, snatch up Georges from Florida.

UCLA is just as bad as we are

Huh? UCLA won twice as many games as us while playing in a similar conference and against a similar conference schedule with an appreciably more difficult non-conference schedule (Houston and Texas).

and he would have to go half way across the country away from friends and family

Many people enjoy going away from home for college to experience a different lifestyle, weather, ethos, etc.

a program that honestly I think is farther away from turning it around than the Gophs.

I strongly disagree. UCLA has been recruiting very, very well and have a deep and broad local talent base from which to draw. They are in desperate need of coaching and proper player development. They have massively underachieved their relative talent level, which is considerably higher than that of the Gophers. Despite their underachievement, they put considerably more players into the NFL than do the Gophers. It's really not even close. I suppose if you're not sold on Jim Mora as a coach, their advantages in every other facet don't matter. But I think if 2011 UCLA and 2011 Minnesota played on a neutral field 10 times, UCLA would win 7 or 8 of them.

Huh? UCLA won twice as many games as us while playing in a similar conference and against a similar conference schedule with an appreciably more difficult non-conference schedule (Houston and Texas).

Many people enjoy going away from home for college to experience a different lifestyle, weather, ethos, etc.

I strongly disagree. UCLA has been recruiting very, very well and have a deep and broad local talent base from which to draw. They are in desperate need of coaching and proper player development. They have massively underachieved their relative talent level, which is considerably higher than that of the Gophers. Despite their underachievement, they put considerably more players into the NFL than do the Gophers. It's really not even close. I suppose if you're not sold on Jim Mora as a coach, their advantages in every other facet don't matter. But I think if 2011 UCLA and 2011 Minnesota played on a neutral field 10 times, UCLA would win 7 or 8 of them.

Good news the Big Ten and the Pac 12 have a scheduling agreement in the future. So we will get to see if your statement is true. Which I agree with.

You can always count on Ruppert for some unintentional humor in his threads. First, he provided us with entirely new vocabulary (decommitmented), and now he has provided us with a new time-saving nickname. It's not Hinojosa. It's not Josh. It's "Hinojosha".

You can always count on Ruppert for some unintentional humor in his threads. First, he provided us with entirely new vocabulary (decommitmented), and now he has provided us with a new time-saving nickname. It's not Hinojosa. It's not Josh. It's "Hinojosha".
I enjoyed "Vanderbuilt" myself. Makes sense.

I think if 2011 UCLA and 2011 Minnesota played on a neutral field 10 times, UCLA would win 7 or 8 of them.

USC 19, Minnesota 17
USC 50, UCLA 0

Minnesota 27, Illinois 7
Illinois 20, UCLA 14

I know comparative scores aren't proof, but 7 or 8?

I thought I was going to be reading about defending the 3.

We have enough really good players in this class to make me ok with it, but most importantly we have a really talented future QB.

UCLA did not lose games due to lack of talent, in fact Kill said on his show he watched the UCLA/Illinois game and the commentators were talking about all of the UCLA four stars. They just did not know what they wanted to do with them. NuWeasel used to be a good offensive coach, don't know what happened to him.
But my basic point is that we do not know at this point closing is going badly, maybe, but we'll have a better idea Wednesday.

I disagree Brewster closed well. We got burned on most of our highest rated recruits at the end, and wound up getting kids who should have had no stars instead of the four star guys they had been dropping hints to the mods about for months. Secondly, the reason I expect CKill to do well, is not because he will not lose kids, but he will not be stuck looking at kids he has never seen before very often when he does lose someone. We have a 8-10 players on the roster who were last minute "finds" when we lost higher ranked kids, and we did not have the evaluation skills to find good alternatives. A few like Perry have worked out, but the WRs have pretty much been wash outs. Many of them are not D1 talent athletically.
These guys have spent more time recruiting the preferred walk-ons than we did a lot of kids who wound up with scholarships under Brewster.

Though I agree on Carter, even though the issue with him is probably not talent, but heart, what about Gray?

The reason I said about Kill is that he comes across as having a very good grasp on everything...what he needs in players and wants to accomplish along with having legitimate shots at players who either are already committed somewhere else or have the Gophers in the mix at the end.

Even if Kill does not get the player or two, I do not believe it will feel like all is lost. He will continue to develop the team and it show.

UCLA did not lose games due to lack of talent, in fact Kill said on his show he watched the UCLA/Illinois game and the commentators were talking about all of the UCLA four stars. They just did not know what they wanted to do with them. .

Exactly! We only have to go back as far as Hayo Carpenter and David Pittman to show what often times happens when there is little to no conviction to an offensive scheme. Brewster could bring them in, but once they got here there wasn't much of a blueprint for success. I don't care who you bring in as far as athletes, if they're not playing together or are directionless, it's not going to end well.

Top Bottom