Cleveland State playing at 5:30 CT on ESPNU

Team played super smart offensively.

A couple times Oakland hit a three to start making a run.
Next time down the floor, smart offense and a good shot by Cleveland St. Good driving to the basket, good passing.

Normally I'm used to watching a meltdown happen, but these guys just got good shots and kept the defensive pressure up killing off any comeback attempts.

Well coached team. I approve.

I am starting to like this idea. Plus Gates has a very nice smile.

Team played super smart offensively.

A couple times Oakland hit a three to start making a run.
Next time down the floor, smart offense and a good shot by Cleveland St. Good driving to the basket, good passing.

Normally I'm used to watching a meltdown happen, but these guys just got good shots and kept the defensive pressure up killing off any comeback attempts.

Well coached team. I approve.
They had a calm, cool answer for Oakland's late pressure defense. They had a counter for every variation of it they saw.

Does he platoon sub?

I wouldn't say so - not like Dr. Tom Davis used to at Iowa. He just works them in there. Two starters played all but 2 minutes and two others played 32 minutes.

I think Gates is an option after Dutcher, Musselman, and Medved.

I'm watching this game right now. ESPNU. Not paying super close attention as I'm working but they seem to play a pretty good brand of basketball. Obviously Oakland isn't playing D like Michigan but they move with a purpose. I could see this Gates guy as our head coach.

Think we can call him Denny? Why did I think his name was Eddie?

Could do with seeing less of the bench celebrations but I'm not the man or woman in charge of this broadcast.

Around the 16 minute mark Cleveland St ran a proper press break. Offer Gates whatever he wants. I'm sold.

Breaking the press against the 9th ranked team in the horizon conference isn't something to get that excited over imo.

Breaking the press against the 9th ranked team in the horizon conference isn't something to get that excited over imo.
It is when Pitino has struggled to do it consistently against any team he has faced for 8 seasons.

It is when Pitino has struggled to do it consistently against any team he has faced for 8 seasons.

Besides Iowa (sometimes) and Purdue last year, who pressed us? I just don't remember that being a huge issue for us. He struggled against Zone defenses early in his tenure. His teams never defended well. I just feel like every team would've pressed us if it was that big a weakness.

Besides Iowa (sometimes) and Purdue last year, who pressed us? I just don't remember that being a huge issue for us. He struggled against Zone defenses early in his tenure. His teams never defended well. I just feel like every team would've pressed us if it was that big a weakness.
If by early in his tenure you mean February of year 8–then yes he struggled against zones.
Anytime a team presses its an issue. Late game situations especially.

If by early in his tenure you mean February of year 8–then yes he struggled against zones.
Anytime a team presses its an issue. Late game situations especially.
I’m spacing it, but I’ll trust you. It’s just not the thing I remember as our biggest flaws. Schematically our zone stuff was fine from what I remember. We were poor at executing. Either way we got someone new coming.

I’m spacing it, but I’ll trust you. It’s just not the thing I remember as our biggest flaws. Schematically our zone stuff was fine from what I remember. We were poor at executing. Either way we got someone new coming.
That’s fair. We get killed by zones. Presses. Anything different. Terrible execution in nearly every facet.

That’s fair. We get killed by zones. Presses. Anything different. Terrible execution in nearly every facet.
That's because no one helps the primary ballhandlers. Everyone else has to get up court to set up the incredibly complex Pitino offense.

Let's see now, where do I stand?

Gates is mentioned in regards to the BC and PSU openings. I would think the MN job was preferable to both but his wife works in the BC AD and is from the East Coast: https://www.womenleadersincollegesports.org/convention/women-leaders-x/Awards/jocelyn-gates.aspx
Wow...that is real interesting. I can see why he is mentioned as a strong candidate for BC. How will that fly with a spouse in the AD dept? They have two kids and currently live in different cities now, I assume their preference is to be closer to one another. A BIG pay day is coming for him regardless of where he lands, that should change a lot of the family dynamics.

Top Bottom