Clear PI

Purdue also had a drive extended with that phantom DPI that led to a TD so yeah.

It was a make up call and more of a PI than the one called on Nubin.

That is the worst PI call i have ever seen (not including non PI call- Drew P 1975)

Purdue got screwed so bad today. That was the worst call I have seen in 50 years.

As Gopher fans we are not used to being on the good side of calls like this, we are usually the group that feels like it got screwed so I think a lot of us don't really know how to deal with this particular situation.

I can see why anyone just seeing the TV coverage of the game would think the call was terrible. The blown up versions give a better indication of what the ref saw. As someone else said, if they don't make the call I don't think anyone in here would be complaining based on what it looked like on TV.

But man is if fun to be on the side that gets a break for a change.

I've seen a few people saying that the interception on the next play should have been defensive pass interference on us, are there any clips of that?

Maybe some of you don't watch much NFL, but Gronk (especially in his later years) was called for this type of PI frequently (extending the arm to get separation) which the Purdue TE does do here. I think this type of call is called more frequently on a TE vs DB (especially CB as this was) due to the size descrepency than a typicall WR vs CB matchup. I don't think it's a worse call than the call on Nubin a drive or two earlier, it's just magnified because of time/score/situation. I am not sure it's even a worse call than the call on T Smith in OT at Maryland where he doesn't look for the ball, but also doesn't make contact until the ball hits him. The official on the play also has a much better angle on the play than TV and is throwing the flag while the ball is in the air.

As far as worst OPI's you've ever seen? Please go back and watch Randy Moss post squirting the official with a water bottle. There were multiple times where he would get absolutely mugged make an amazing catch...and the ref would throw a flag on him for having the audacity to free his arm(s) from the clutches of a DB or 2.

WRs at the pro and college level do that every game and it never gets called, let alone a game changing play.
It’s game changing either way it’s called. If not called, WR gets away with a illegal separation push and they probably win.

I think there was equal to or more contact on this play than the other PI.

If we had lost, I'd say, you need to play better to overcome the bad calls and still get the win.

We overcame calls, good or bad, to get the win.

More importantly, the offense played better.
The defense might have showed some signs of playing better despite being short-handed.
(Yeh, I know... allow 31 and that's "better").

It's not as obvious PI as Drew Pearson pushing Nate Wright into the ground, but now that I see the views put up here...yes, that's a flag. If the defender had done the same going for an overthrown ball, he'd have been flagged.

Also have to consider that the ref's angle was opposite the camera, so he saw the arm extend with a hand in the chest of the db and the db get pushed back clear as day...good call. Poorly officiated game overall with far worse calls and misses throughout.

Even if no flag was thrown, there was still a minute left and we had a couple of TO’s. Obviously, we still would win the game.

Pfft, Mike Max, OK...... Relying on Mike Max. You may be the first. Good on you, I guess.
I never said it. 😂 It was a call that only the Side Judge can see. #2 is slowed by the extension and his head ducks from the contact to the face. Tough call all around.

That gets let go 99% of the time. It probably was a technically correct call.

my team has been screwed over so many times in my life by officials that I will take the W all day

People are only mad about this call because they are used to seeing receivers get the benefit of the doubt 95% of the time.

By the rules it was PI.

The receiver that caught Purdue’s first TD pushed off the same way, and it wasn’t called. I wonder if the DB complained and that made a difference when the same ref saw it happen again.

Don't even care. Because: if Purdue hadn't missed the FG on the drive before, the game would've been tied and they either would've been able to kick the game winning FG or miss it and the game goes to OT.

That's entirely on them, so I don't even care about the call.

(but I can see why Brohm was pissed)

How much would you pay to be able to heard what he yelled at that ref? I guarantee there were several "you MF'er". Would guess he told him he'll never ref again in the Big Ten.

Go on Twitter and people are calling it the worst call ever and stuff all over the place. Even Mahomes thought that was bad.

I thought the Saints call versus the Rams from a few years ago was the worst.

It doesn’t matter. They had an O-lineman that was obviously holding on the play anyway (the only reason Plummer got a pass off). Either way ... no TD.

I think if the flag came out quicker there would be less controversy.
He is literally reaching for it as the ball is leaving the hand of the quarterback

Top Bottom