Claudin Cherelus decommits

I'm guessing Fleck decided to finally let these guys know where they stand.

This one hurts. If there is one thing that Sawvel could do, it was recruit defensive backs. He could find diamonds everywhere. Murray, Myrick and more. Probably the single best coach/talent evaluator at a position we have had since our rb coach under Mason.

This one hurts. If there is one thing that Sawvel could do, it was recruit defensive backs. He could find diamonds everywhere. Murray, Myrick and more. Probably the single best coach/talent evaluator at a position we have had since our rb coach under Mason.

While I agree, Sawvel and the staff did have a knack for finding DBs, the simple fact they recruited them was not a guarantee they would be successful as there were some definite duds along the way as well.

I would tend to agree.

Hope we get staff solidified soon; will give recruits more time to analyze their situations.

Hope we get staff solidified soon; will give recruits more time to analyze their situations.

Fleck said Sunday he wants staff finalized by Thursday and on campus by the beginning of next week - I expect he'll stick to that timeline

Fleck said Sunday he wants staff finalized by Thursday and on campus by the beginning of next week - I expect he'll stick to that timeline

So we should be hearing names soon then?

Anyone have any ideas?

This one hurts.
How or why would you think that. Just b/c Sawvel recruited him? His offer list is anemic besides Minnesota. We have no idea how this kid or any of these commits or decommits will or would've worked out.
Fleck is putting together a class that he likes and he has evaluated, and is doing so in a very short period of time. It will likely be his weakest class while at Minnesota.
I expect that next year's class will be better.

While I agree, Sawvel and the staff did have a knack for finding DBs, the simple fact they recruited them was not a guarantee they would be successful as there were some definite duds along the way as well.

Very very few didn't at least contribute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

247 lists him as an OLB. Wouldn't even be at the position coached by Sawvel.

And sawvel recruited many of the individuals involved in the incident that resulted in the cultural revolution.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How or why would you think that. Just b/c Sawvel recruited him?

Well, not a bad reason. I would trust a Sawvell recommendation more so than any rankings or even an offer list, TBH.

And sawvel recruited many of the individuals involved in the incident that resulted in the cultural revolution.

And he supports rape too. He must if he recruited all those horrible people.

And he supports rape too. He must if he recruited all those horrible people.
My point was that fleck was brought in to change the culture, whether you believe it needed changing or not. If you were fleck, are you going to put your trust in an 18 year old kid who you never met? That he is pulling offers should not be surprising. If a kid really wanted to be here, he should be doing everything possible to show his dedication and commitment. Short of that, fleck can't take a risk of a kid being the next problem.

Ordinarily I would have expected that a coaching change just weeks before the signing deadline would have adversely affected recruiting for the year. It appears, however, that Minnesota's incoming class will be upgraded. While we may still see further de-commits - some voluntary and some, perhaps, involuntary - I think we are still likely to see a net improvement. Fleck seems - very quickly - to have skimmed the cream off of WMU's incoming class, plus the Maryland running back commit. The quality of the incoming class was a big concern of mine. I'm feeling much better about it, and I'm excited about what he and his staff will be able to do over the years to come.

My point was that fleck was brought in to change the culture, whether you believe it needed changing or not. If you were fleck, are you going to put your trust in an 18 year old kid who you never met? That he is pulling offers should not be surprising. If a kid really wanted to be here, he should be doing everything possible to show his dedication and commitment. Short of that, fleck can't take a risk of a kid being the next problem.

The vetting process for Fleck on previous Gopher commitments would not take long. I'd hope prior commitments were evaluated and vetted prior to cutting them loose.

I also wonder if they keep a few spots open in case the yet to be determined staff that comes in has lines on any recruits. I would think Fleck will bring in some people who have been recruiting elsewhere.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

As noted in another thread, when Fleck got the job at WMU, he rescinded all previous offers made under the previous coaching staff. In this case, he appears to be honoring offers from the MN kids - but not so much for the outstate kids. Looks like he's serious about focusing the recruiting on the midwest. I hope he doesn't abandon the Georgia pipeline - but a lot of that was based on the recruiting of a former assistant coach who will not be returning, so only time will tell.

Ordinarily I would have expected that a coaching change just weeks before the signing deadline would have adversely affected recruiting for the year. It appears, however, that Minnesota's incoming class will be upgraded. While we may still see further de-commits - some voluntary and some, perhaps, involuntary - I think we are still likely to see a net improvement. Fleck seems - very quickly - to have skimmed the cream off of WMU's incoming class, plus the Maryland running back commit. The quality of the incoming class was a big concern of mine. I'm feeling much better about it, and I'm excited about what he and his staff will be able to do over the years to come.

This may be true, but right now it looks like Fleck is bringing over kids he recruited m and knows (no issue there) and shedding recruits that were already committed to the tune of about an equal trade. The talent level according to the rankings is not improving per se, but with just a few weeks to go, it may or it may not. If it doesn't, I'm not concerned. If the 18 class isn't top five in the Big, I'm concerned.

Fleck can do what he needs to do...it is the hypocrisy and righteousness of people like you who that I reject.

Fleck can do what he needs to do...it is the hypocrisy and righteousness of people like you who that I reject.
What hypocrisy? All I stated was that fleck should only retain commitments to players he wants here. If he keeps a player who committed to the previous regime and said player does something to screw up or doesn't pan out on the field, who takes the blame?

What hypocrisy? All I stated was that fleck should only retain commitments to players he wants here. If he keeps a player who committed to the previous regime and said player does something to screw up or doesn't pan out on the field, <b>who takes the blame? </b>

Ruppert?

Top Bottom