Classless Iowa fans throwing trash on field

There's a thread at HawkeyeReport about whether I-O-W-A should be fined by the B1G for the trash throwing behavior. The debate is "No because KF and BF are throwing trash on the field every offensive play" versus this very reasoned response from JMNSHO...

"Fine the hell out of us. I was there, behind the Gopher bench and watching the Gopher team have to take shelter out from the sideline and away from our idiot drunken fans made the sting of the reversed touchdown way worse--it felt like an ALL TIME LOW. My kids were scared of the idiots around me, Gameday experience in the last couple years has mirrored the rest of the American experience; pathetic displays of behavior abound."

We'll see if anything comes out of Chicago...an apology to Captain Kirk or a fine for fan behavior...

Place your bets...

F@ck Iowa! Their fans are scum.

They threaten people with violence for standing and cheering for the visiting team.

It's also is, or at one point was, the only place in the Big Ten where the players were instructed to wear their helmets at all times on the sideline. Players were routinely hit in the head by bottles and other items.

I wish they'd lose every game like they lost to us yesterday.

Shama chimes in:

Minnesota won its rivalry game against Iowa yesterday in Iowa City, 12-10, in a controversial affair that sent Floyd of Rosedale back to Minneapolis. The bronze pig is supposed to symbolize how tensions can be eased and sportsmanship encouraged between the two rival schools and states.

That flew out the window late in the fourth quarter when too many Hawkeye fans lost control following a review disallowing an Iowa touchdown that would have put the hometown team ahead 16-12. Cooper DeJean’s punt return for the go-ahead score was negated after officials determined that before fielding the football, he signaled an illegal fair catch.

Iowa fans reportedly threw bottles, cans, and food onto the field. The Minnesota bench was targeted with debris, forcing the players to move out of their sideline area. The ruckus caused a delay in the game. It was a bad look for the Iowa fanbase.

Go Gophers!!

Fleck was livid at the refs for refusing to call unsportsmanlike.

Remember at that point, they still had a chance to go down the field and get into position to kick a game winning FG.
rightfully so, given the ticky tack call Nubin got for tapping the ball out of the hands of a guy still trying to move the ball over the goal line after the whistle…
…and then they also didn’t call UC when they blatantly slapped the ball away from the center. Sure, that’s a “delay of game”. But in that situation, what stops Iowa from doing that continuously all the way down the field and hoping that just one time, it isn’t called?

There's a thread at HawkeyeReport about whether I-O-W-A should be fined by the B1G for the trash throwing behavior. The debate is "No because KF and BF are throwing trash on the field every offensive play" versus this very reasoned response from JMNSHO...

"Fine the hell out of us. I was there, behind the Gopher bench and watching the Gopher team have to take shelter out from the sideline and away from our idiot drunken fans made the sting of the reversed touchdown way worse--it felt like an ALL TIME LOW. My kids were scared of the idiots around me, Gameday experience in the last couple years has mirrored the rest of the American experience; pathetic displays of behavior abound."

We'll see if anything comes out of Chicago...an apology to Captain Kirk or a fine for fan behavior...

Place your bets...
you have a link to that thread?

I don't know which is more contemptible: the trash-throwing or the whiny, aggrieved victimhood.

Have some class. Respect the game.

Only stadium where I’ve been physically assaulted. 2005, third trip to IC. Standing outside restroom waiting for my wife, holding blankets in both hands. Two guys walked up to me and one punched me in the sternum as hard as I’ve ever been hit and then they ran away. A kind middle aged woman helped me to my feet.

We were in seats row 5 right behind the Gopher bench. The verbal assault was never ending. I kid you not, little children were chanting singsong “fuck you Gophers, fuck your mullet”. Yeah, mullet. Never went back after that. They will never get another dime from me in that state.

I don’t think we discussed this yet. So classless.

Just like Iowa fans trash our tailgate lots and abuse rest room stalls. Most annoying drunk guest in the Big 10, and that is saying something with Wisconsin. At least you can joke and have fun with Badger fans. Hawkeye fans are rude and threatening. Will not go back to Iowa City for any Sports because of how nasty their so-called fans can be. The "We hate Iowa" chants got started in the Metrodome because of Iowa fan behavior.

Last edited:

Gopher hockey fans threw trash on the ice vs Michigan in the 2022 Big Ten championship game. It's not unique to Iowa. I was pretty embarrassed when I saw it at Mariucci.
That was embarrassing. I was there and pretty disappointed so many adults joined in. Students is one thing but there were many old farts participating. That is like what the actual F?

Senior student here. Went down to the game with my family because my sister is a sophomore there. I sat in the student section with my sister and little brother for the game. Me and my brother were in maroon and gold while my sister was in black and gold. We both cheered our respective teams on as we always do. We were not being obnoxious or drawing undue attention to ourselves.

During the first half, there were no less than 10 beer cans thrown at us, many of them hitting my little siblings. One of them hit me in the head too. Finally, I turned around to try to figure out where it was coming from and saw some girls pointing to a group of students. Immediately, I went up and told them to cut it out. It was 4 guys who looked to be underclassmen. I did not threaten them in any way, but was very stern in telling them that you do not do that to opposing fans. It's a classless act and it makes everyone around them look bad. After that, there was nothing thrown at us for the rest of the game and we got to enjoy. It looked like they left after that. I went to the game 2 years ago in Kinnick and nothing even remotely like this happened.

This was all before the disaster at the end of the game, of course. At night I went out on the town with my friends and for the first time in my life, I was a little scared to wear the maroon and gold. I think they really showed their true colors as Iowa fans yesterday. Don't know if I'll be back in 2 years, but wouldn't be mad if I didn't.

Also, I was calling for them to keep throwing trash on the field at the end there. PJ was PISSED and they probably should have gotten a penalty. They still had a chance to win that game at the end there too.

Another classless thing I saw was students throwing bottles at their OWN TEAM while they were huddled up by the tunnel getting ready to walk off. Crazy

Gopher hockey fans threw trash on the ice vs Michigan in the 2022 Big Ten championship game. It's not unique to Iowa. I was pretty embarrassed when I saw it at Mariucci.
I was there too. Very upsetting to see our fans do that.

I was also there. However, deliberately throwing things at opposing fans is a different low. My sister said they do it all the time and warned me before the game. Sure enough...

rightfully so, given the ticky tack call Nubin got for tapping the ball out of the hands of a guy still trying to move the ball over the goal line after the whistle…
…and then they also didn’t call UC when they blatantly slapped the ball away from the center. Sure, that’s a “delay of game”. But in that situation, what stops Iowa from doing that continuously all the way down the field and hoping that just one time, it isn’t called?
Nubin was dumb to do that, the penalty is all on him, and he knows he is better than that.

Top Bottom