Class of 2013 - Recruting Update

vames

Reaction score
With the recent offer to Rochester JM OL Jackson Wilson (6'3 275), I thought I post on the latest offers for the Class of 2013. The Class is certainly down from last year's class, but probably not far off from an average Minnesota class at this point. I know Gophers have interest in a number of players from the state, but want to evaluate them in the June camps, which is understandable with only 15-16 scholarships to offer. If anybody has additional information on players, please feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected]

BCS Commitment (3)

(Updated 2/26) Keelon Brookins, 5’10 175, WR, Tartan - Committed to Minnesota.

(Updated 3/7) James Onwualu, 6’1 205, WR/RB, Cretin-Derham Hall - Committed to Notre Dame. Had received offers from Minnesota, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Arizona, Iowa State, Kansas, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and Purdue

(Updated 4/9) Jack Cottrell, 6’4 215, LB, Eden Prairie - Committed to Boston College. Received other offer from North Dakota. Attended Minnesota, Wisconsin, Boston College, Iowa State, Western Michigan, Penn, Valporaiso, and SDSU junior day/spring practice events. Received invite Western Michigan, Penn, Valparaiso, and SDSU junior day/spring practice events. 2011 All Conference HM. Started 13 games on 5A State Champion team. Recorded 89 tackles (26 solo), 6 tackles for a loss, 1 INT, 1 blocked punt, and 1 forced fumble. One of five sophomores that dressed varsity in 2010. Recorded a 4.72 40-yard dash. Carries a 3.9 GPA and 28 ACT score.

BCS/FBS Offers (3)

(Updated 3/7) Malik Rucker, 6’0 170, Robbinsdale Cooper - Received offers from Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Arizona State, Boston College, Illinois, North Carolina State, Duke Wyoming, SMU, SDSU, and North Dakota. Has attended Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa State junior days. Has received invites to Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, SMU, and Purdue junior day/spring practice events. In 9 games, had 52 (25 solo) tackles, 1 INTs, and 1 fumble recovery.

(Updated 4/20) Tyson Reinke, 6’3 265, Eden Prairie - Received offers from Kent State and North Dakota. Attended Minnesota and Iowa State junior day event. 2011 All-State Second Team. All Conference. Starting DT for 12-1 5A State Champs and recorded 38 tackles (8 solo), 6 TFL, 1 forced fumble, and 1 fumble recovered. Started 5 games as sophomore and received playing time in all 11 games. Recorded 15 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 pass deflection, and 1 fumble recovery.

(Updated 4/25) Jackson Wilson, 6’3 275, OL, Rochester John Marshall - Received an offer from Air Force. Attended Minnesota and SDSU junior day events.

FCS Offers (7)

(Updated 4/25) Chad Fahning, 6'7 280, OL, DeLaSalle - Received offers from SDSU and North Dakota. Attended Minnesota, Iowa State, and Wisconsin junior day events. Has received invites to Michigan State, Boston College, NDSU, SDSU, and North Dakota spring events. 2011 All-Conference and All Section. Has started 23 games in sophomore and junior year.

(Updated 2/11) Mikias Alipate, 6’1 215, LB, Holy Angels - Received offer from North Dakota. Attended Minnesota junior day event. In 6 games, has 62 tackles (42 solo), 2 TFL, 4 hurries, and 2 forced fumbles. Did not play as a sophomore due to transfer rules.

(Updated 2/11) Chris Wipson, 6’2 210, TE/LB, Wayzata - Received offer from North Dakota. 2011 All-State HM. All Conference. In 13 games, had 82 tackles (52 solo), 4 sacks, 18 tackles for a loss, 8 QB hurries, 2 INTs, 4 forced fumbles, 4 passes broken up, 4 pass deflected. In 9 games as a sophomore, had 35 tackles (22 solo), 4 TFL, 1 forced fumble, 2 QB hurries.

(Updated 2/21) Bridgeport Tusler, 5’11 195, RB/DB, Osseo (5A) - Received an offer from North Dakota. Has received invites to Minnesota and North Dakota junior day events. In 10 games, had 123 carries for 954 yards for 7.8 ypc and 11 touchdowns. Had 32 receptions for 428 yards and 6 touchdowns. In six games as a sophomore, had 34 carries for 176 yards and 1 TD. Had 13 receptions for 257 yards and 2 TDs.

(Updated 2/21) Malcom Moore, 6’1 175, WR, Minnetonka - Received offer from SDSU. Received invites to Minnesota and Iowa junior day events. All-State Honorable Mention. Star Tribune All Metro Second Team. Pioneer Press Honorable Mention. All-Conference. In 8 games, had 35 receptions for 812 yards and 6 touchdowns. 2010 All-Conferece. In 10 games as a sophomore, had 20 receptions for 294 yards for 14.7 ypc and 4 TDs.

(Updated 2/21) Jordan Hein, 6’2 195, QB/Athlete, Perham - Received offer from North Dakota. Received invite to Minnesota, North Dakota, and SDSU junior day events. All-State Honorable Mention. Conference MVP. Top duel threat quarterback. In 10 games, completed 74 of 156 passes for 1398 yards and 19 touchdowns. Had 199 carries for 1380 yards and 16 touchdowns.

(Updated 4/15) Akeem Roller, 6’4 280, DL, Cretin-Derham Hall - Received offer from North Dakota. Played varsity as a junior behind FBS recruit Jonathan Harden. Younger brother of 3-year CDH starter Willie Roller.

Just received a note that Eden Prairie DL Tyson Reinke picked up an offer from Air Force.

Heard from a classmate of Bridgeport Tusler that he's been telling people he's going to Minnesota if they offer

thanks!

Great list...please keep the thread running.

I have a 2012 Q for you. I can't find the 2012 class list you made. Did the running back Wesley from St. Croix Lutheran get any FCS offers?

Thx,

GM

I think Wesley Tucker was getting some D2 interest but didn't pick up any FCS offers. Interesting player at 5'10 200 and ran pretty well.

Thx. I wonder what 2" taller would have done. I too thought he was decent from what i caught at the prep bowl.

Shows you what i know about watching tape of high school fb players.

GM

Thx. I wonder what 2" taller would have done. I too thought he was decent from what i caught at the prep bowl.

Shows you what i know about watching tape of high school fb players.

GM

5' 10" is plenty tall for a running back. Trent Richardson, for instance, measured 5'9" and some change at the combine I believe.

Looks like everyone and their brother has gotten an offer from the Whioux.

5' 10" is plenty tall for a running back. Trent Richardson, for instance, measured 5'9" and some change at the combine I believe.
Height for a RB basically has no relevance. MJD and Ray Rice, who are in the 5'7" range, are pretty much the equals of Arian Foster and Adrian Peterson, who are both 6'1" or better. Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith are around 5'9, while Jim Brown was 6'2". There are about a dozen attributes that are more important than height.

Height for a RB basically has no relevance. MJD and Ray Rice, who are in the 5'7" range, are pretty much the equals of Arian Foster and Adrian Peterson, who are both 6'1" or better. Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith are around 5'9, while Jim Brown was 6'2". There are about a dozen attributes that are more important than height.

That's what I was trying to say. I would say 5'6" or shorter and 6'3" and taller is where you start running into issues. Anywhere in between is usually fine.

That's what I was trying to say. I would say 5'6" or shorter and 6'3" and taller is where you start running into issues. Anywhere in between is usually fine.

So you're saying I have a chance...

Anybody know anything about Zach Ziemer (OL) from Lakeville North? He attended Jr Day and was asked to Sparty's day I think too.

Akeem Roller is interesting. I expect that he'll play FCS football and do well. However, he is one of those guys who just kept growing and I'd expect that he'll be somewhere around 6'5"-6'6" 290 next season. In my layperson's opinion, he doesn't like entirely comfortable in his own body yet (a bit uncoordinated).

He reminds me of Billy Turner at Mounds View. Turner was obviously a REALLY good player his SR season, but I wasn't real impressed with him in his JR season. Sometimes it take the young guys awhile to grow accustomed to their massive frames.

I don't think Akeem will be a Gopher target, but he might not be a bad person to keep their eye on for a PFO spot.

Chris Wipson picked up a second offer from South Dakota this past week.

The more I read about Rucker in the recruiting channels the more I think he has got to be the second highest in-state priority for Kill. Any speculation on here about Minnesota's chances? He has a decent BCS offer list and I believe his stock is rising.

Interesting that Eden Prairie DL Tyson Reinke committed to Kent State this past week. With offers from Air Force and North Dakota, he seemed to be on the path to picking up more FCS offers and potentially FBS. With his commitment and a down class, three out of the top six players with FBS offers are heading out of state with Onwualu to Notre Dame and Cottrell to Boston College. As both did not have offers from Minnesota, I guess the argument could be made it does not matter on shutting the borders this year.

Since the last post, Wayzata LB Chris Wipson picked up an Air Force.

Since none of us have any real knowledge about what the coaching staff has told any of the players and with the limited number of scholarships available. I would say wait until signing day before you rule anyone out. Offers will not be thrown out this year. The staff is looking for specific players in certain positions. Once that is done, some of these Mn. kids will probably be getting an offer.

Since none of us have any real knowledge about what the coaching staff has told any of the players and with the limited number of scholarships available. I would say wait until signing day before you rule anyone out. Offers will not be thrown out this year. The staff is looking for specific players in certain positions. Once that is done, some of these Mn. kids will probably be getting an offer.

Agreed. I also think they are waiting for Finals. There could be a few more scholarships available after the obligatory Spring-Summer attrition period.

You recruit by position, and by the number of scholarships you will have available. Our staff doesn't really know the latter, so it's hard to figure out the former. We'll know alot more about the class of 2013 by Fall, so right now doesn't matter a whole lot (like always). I'd rather have any commitment in September than any commitment in April...

Really? You wouldn't like to have Michigan's recruiting class right now?

As we have found, college football "commitments" really mean nothing. You're comparing apples to oranges. "Having their class" has nothing to do with what I said. There's nearly a 100% chance that Michigan will not have all of these guys come signing day. They could have commitments from every one of those guys today, and have none of them come February. Not likely, but possible.

Anyway, latest U offer to Anthony Walker.

As we have found, college football "commitments" really mean nothing. You're comparing apples to oranges. "Having their class" has nothing to do with what I said. There's nearly a 100% chance that Michigan will not have all of these guys come signing day. They could have commitments from every one of those guys today, and have none of them come February. Not likely, but possible.

Anyway, latest U offer to Anthony Walker.

So what if not everyone stays with them? I guarantee you that more than 1 will end up signing with them, which is how many "commits" we have right now. I'd much rather be in a position to have 10 commits right now than 1, and so would our staff. If you're getting guys this early, it means your getting some of the top prospects in the nation, guys that were so good as juniors that coaches don't feel the need to wait to see how they perform in camp or what they do their senior years. I'll take 10 commits in May over 10 in September any day.

Top Bottom