Clark Kellogg is the New Billy Packer

jamiche

Reaction score
I was thrilled CBS finally dumped Billy Packer and, now, disappointed in his replacement. Kellogg uses the same cliches and fractured syntax as Packer. Will he have a twenty year run?

The Enjoyment of Watching The Final Four

Has increased exponentially with Packer now long (and thankfully) gone.

I'm willing to cut Mr. Kellogg some slack - besides, he's a Big Ten-ner. To me, next to Dukie Vitale, Billy Packer was the worst - and another ACC-er/apologist.

Jay Bilas is by far the best color guy CBS has doing the tournament IMO. It's too bad they won't pair him with Nance on the lead team, but I'm sure they want one of 'thier' guys and not one of the ESPN rentals.

I totally disagree Jamiche. Clark Kellogg is the best in the biz, IMO. He does his homework, has some clever one-liners, analyzes the game well, and isn't so over the top that he detracts from the game itself. I think CBS hit a home run with him. I've liked him even going back to his days doing the old syndicated Big Ten Game of the Week in early 1990s.

He's one of the few guys in the country who said MSU would have success running against UConn. Most everyone else was saying the Spartans would have to slow it down and hope Suton scored big down low. Kellogg nailed it.

I think Bill Raftery is entertaining, Jay Bilas knows his stuff and does his homework, and Shonn Morris on the BTN is really good.

Billy Packer, on the other hand, was useless. Made himself the storyline too often, did NOT do his homework (and freely admitted it!), and is generally a grouchy old bastard.

I totally disagree Jamiche. Clark Kellogg is the best in the biz, IMO. He does his homework, has some clever one-liners, analyzes the game well, and isn't so over the top that he detracts from the game itself. I think CBS hit a home run with him. I've liked him even going back to his days doing the old syndicated Big Ten Game of the Week in early 1990s.

He's one of the few guys in the country who said MSU would have success running against UConn. Most everyone else was saying the Spartans would have to slow it down and hope Suton scored big down low. Kellogg nailed it.

I think Bill Raftery is entertaining, Jay Bilas knows his stuff and does his homework, and Shonn Morris on the BTN is really good.

Billy Packer, on the other hand, was useless. Made himself the storyline too often, did NOT do his homework (and freely admitted it!), and is generally a grouchy old bastard.

I am not sure how you can say Kellogg is one of the best in the game when he has done the color on what, 10 NCAA games in his career? The broadcast was awkward and boring. Kellogg didn't know when to jump in and Nantz was his usual dry self. I loved Lundquist and Rafferty this year, they added excitement to the game even if the analysis wasn't that great.

I am not sure how you can say Kellogg is one of the best in the game when he has done the color on what, 10 NCAA games in his career?

Ten games in his career? Where have you been? He's done hundreds of games over the years. He was doing national ESPN games and regional Big Ten games as far back as 1990. He's been on CBS for years, including doing NCAA tourney games throughout much of the 90s. He did color on games with Dick Enberg on CBS over the past few seasons prior to getting the promotion to work with Nantz. Just because he was on the desk during the NCAA tourney doesn't mean he was stuck in the basement the rest of the year. You say ten games? Really?

I thought Nantz and Kellogg jelled well all year long. A HUGE upgrade over Packer. Obviously, it is all opinion and we happen to disagree. But, at least base your opinion on something factual and not on some idea that Kellogg has ten games of experience.

I've always liked Clark too. That's why I was disappointed yesterday. I thought his ratio of cliches to real insights was way too high. He pandered to the coaches and the officials (though i thought the two games were really well officiated--the players were allowed to play). Myabe he'll be better next year.

My TV "mute" button still works. It makes the game much more enjoyable. TV announcers add very little when I can watch the game. They don't add any great information...do they? To say the way to get back in the game is to get stops and make shots....no kidding? Duh.

I've had no problems with Special K. He & Nantz have been fine. It's refreshing having an analyst that isn't a condascending know-it-all like Packer.

Mute opportunity

My TV "mute" button still works. It makes the game much more enjoyable. TV announcers add very little when I can watch the game. They don't add any great information...do they? To say the way to get back in the game is to get stops and make shots....no kidding? Duh.

I mute them sometimes but I like to hear the crowd noise. Someone should invent a "Mute Announcer Only" feature for remote controls.

The upside of that business is ginormous !

I thought Packer was at his best when teamed with the late Al Mcguire. Packer would say something ridiculous and Mcguire would point it out in a way that was often hilarious. It seemed as if Packer was Mcguire's straight man. I never saw the point of having Packer without Mcguire.

I thought Packer was at his best when teamed with the late Al Mcguire. Packer would say something ridiculous and Mcguire would point it out in a way that was often hilarious. It seemed as if Packer was Mcguire's straight man. I never saw the point of having Packer without Mcguire.

I agree 100%. I loved them together.

I've always liked Clark too. That's why I was disappointed yesterday. I thought his ratio of cliches to real insights was way too high. He pandered to the coaches and the officials (though i thought the two games were really well officiated--the players were allowed to play). Myabe he'll be better next year.

I'll agree that this past weekend wasn't his best work, but I can't help but just acknowledge the fact that it's a 100% improvement over what we've had the last bunch of years with Packer. Clark will be good, probably just maybe a little nervous about his first Final Four perhaps. I'm not worried, I still liked him.

I can forgive Kellogg his weaknesses because unlike Packer he isn't an arrogant, ACC biased jackass.

Ten games in his career? Where have you been? He's done hundreds of games over the years. He was doing national ESPN games and regional Big Ten games as far back as 1990. He's been on CBS for years, including doing NCAA tourney games throughout much of the 90s. He did color on games with Dick Enberg on CBS over the past few seasons prior to getting the promotion to work with Nantz. Just because he was on the desk during the NCAA tourney doesn't mean he was stuck in the basement the rest of the year. You say ten games? Really?

I thought Nantz and Kellogg jelled well all year long. A HUGE upgrade over Packer. Obviously, it is all opinion and we happen to disagree. But, at least base your opinion on something factual and not on some idea that Kellogg has ten games of experience.

Sorry, I missed on that one. I am not an old crusty man and I only know him from the desk at the tournament. From his work he seemed pretty rusty...we wasn't the worst, he wasn't the best. Nantz, great on the Masters, not my favorite basketball guy by any means.

Sorry, I missed on that one. I am not an old crusty man and I only know him from the desk at the tournament. From his work he seemed pretty rusty...we wasn't the worst, he wasn't the best. Nantz, great on the Masters, not my favorite basketball guy by any means.

Gus Johnson would be the right play by play guy. I thought Kellogg was more insightful last night than on Saturday.

Nantz is great on the Masters.

Jim Nantz and Jay Bilas, please. Or Dick Enberg and Jay Bilas. Or Verne Lundquist and Jay Bilas. Or Gus Johnson and Jay Bilas. Or Wayne Larrivee and Jay Bilas. Or Tom Hamilton and Jay Bilas. Or Dave Pasch and Jay Bilas. Or Dave Revsine and Jay Bilas. Or Brent Musberger and Jay Bilas. Or Dave Lee (what????) and Jay Bilas. Or anyone and Jay Bilas.

Jim Nantz and Jay Bilas, please. Or Dick Enberg and Jay Bilas. Or Verne Lundquist and Jay Bilas. Or Gus Johnson and Jay Bilas. Or Wayne Larrivee and Jay Bilas. Or Tom Hamilton and Jay Bilas. Or Dave Pasch and Jay Bilas. Or Dave Revsine and Jay Bilas. Or Brent Musberger and Jay Bilas. Or Dave Lee (what????) and Jay Bilas. Or anyone and Jay Bilas.

Yeah, I think Bilas is really good, too. He obviously does his homework and is really smooth in his delivery. I thought the Sean McDonough/Bill Raftery/Jay Bilas trio working the Big East Tournament games was the best announcing team working this year.

Gus Johnson has grown on me. He was too over the top for my taste, but I have acquired a taste for him. He certainly makes the game fun.

Top Bottom