Claeys tell team "great chance" he could lose job

Tracy seems like a good and decent man but is in way over his head as a HC. He's a DC through and through and very good one at that.

Tells team he may lose job and they go right ahead and boycott. There's lack of respect and leadership all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has to be an absolute nightmare for a private person who has done his job out of the spot light during his entire career.

Tracy seems like a good and decent man but is in way over his head as a HC. He's a DC through and through and very good one at that.

was thinking he's probably done enough to get a HC at a mid major or lower P5

In all fairness, I think you can say this about most people in their first year on the job. I'd argue he is ahead of most in the first HC role (I do discount the interim portion as it is too different).

I hope he stays and is given a chance to grow into it.

From a December 14th story on the Holiday Bowl presser: Coach Tracy Claeys said he couldn't discuss specifics due to privacy laws, but that the suspensions wouldn't be a distraction for bowl preparations.

People have said that it looks like during games he seems distant and not connected to the team at times. Then he makes this statement at the presser. Good thing the suspensions haven't been a distraction to our bowl preparations. He really seems disconnected to the pulse of his team?

On the Sports Huddle today, he also announced he is personally donating $50,000 to victims of sexual assault (I'm assuming some type of charity organization, but he didn't specify).

On the Sports Huddle today, he also announced he is personally donating $50,000 to victims of sexual assault (I'm assuming some type of charity organization, but he didn't specify).

Is that the equal amount of his bowl bonus?

I actually gained a shred of respect for him over this. Nobody is defending rape guys...sigh.

What was your motive in releasing the woman's name and home town?

The end of the Michigan game he probably said the same thing

Taking everything into account, he probably should lose his job over this. Not because he condones rape, but because he appears to have no control of his team whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

From a December 14th story on the Holiday Bowl presser: Coach Tracy Claeys said he couldn't discuss specifics due to privacy laws, but that the suspensions wouldn't be a distraction for bowl preparations.

People have said that it looks like during games he seems distant and not connected to the team at times. Then he makes this statement at the presser. Good thing the suspensions haven't been a distraction to our bowl preparations. He really seems disconnected to the pulse of his team?

Do you live anywhere near reality? What did you expect him to say at the Bowl presser. What a non story that quote is.

Please name a coach that wouldn't be over his head? It's ridiculous to think that another coach has experience in this matter. He had to support his team wishes to support what they believe was an unfair process that where the U grouped 10 players in one incident. It's very likely that 7/10 of them will be shown that they shouldn't not have had their names associated with this when it's all said and done with appeals and lawsuits.

So now forever linked in time, those 7 players will have this follow them throughout their careers. It was handled poorly by the administration and could be seriously liable for it.

Taking everything into account, he probably should lose his job over this. Not because he condones rape, but because he appears to have no control of his team whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

So I am assuming you believe dean smith guthridge and Roy Williams amongst others should lose or have lost their jobs correct?

Do you live anywhere near reality? What did you expect him to say at the Bowl presser. What a non story that quote is.

You've been quite the peach during all of this. All he had to say is that they will be preparing with the players available. Saying they wouldn't be a distraction was either naive, clueless, or both.

So I am assuming you believe dean smith guthridge and Roy Williams amongst others should lose or have lost their jobs correct?

Ignoring the fact that North Carolina's issue has nothing to do with this, I'll answer your question. If they lost control of their situations as much as Claeys has here, then yes. In his case, he sent out a distinctly tone deaf tweet supporting his players' boycott, which they promptly backtracked from after the release of the report by the university. Then, one of his players decided to go on another rant against the school, the girl and anybody that is supporting them despite the boycott ending. On top of that, there's that whole recruit at the sex-party thing. It all gives the impression that the inmates are running the asylum. So yeah, imo, he's lost control of the situation, and for that, he could very likely lose his job.

From the link at the Strib:

On risking his job, Claeys said: "That was the commitment on my part. I knew that was a possibility in happening. That's why that meeting took a long time, to go through the fallouts."

The other "fallouts" of the boycotts discussed were being painted as people who dismiss sexual assault claims — Claeys said several times on WCCO the team takes sexual assault allegations seriously, and wants to use the bowl game as a platform to support the cause — and being accused of trying to "overthrow power," Claeys said.

Report's details broke Gophers walkout
Gophers bowl game is back on, but anger remains for some
"This was not about getting somebody replaced," Claeys said, speaking of the players' boycott. "President Kaler and the Board [of Regents] have been very supportive of athletics, as has the whole university."

The players' boycott put their Holiday Bowl commitment at risk. The Gophers announced they would return to playing at a 9 a.m. meeting with media on Saturday, just hours short of becoming the first college football team in over 50 years to back out of a bowl game in protest.

Claeys said the boycott focused most on the fairness of the punishment: 10 players being suspended from the team by school leaders in the fallout of a university investigation into an alleged Sept. 2 sexual assault.

"The thing was on the due process and how this all came about," Claey said.

Claeys has been supportive of his players' boycott, on Twitter on Thursday night and again Sunday.

"I want to make sure everybody understands I think our kids did a great job with the statement they released and in their cause," he said.

Claeys also told WCCO radio that he himself will be donating $50,000 in support of victims of sexual assault.

And the ESPN version:

"Have never been more proud of our kids," Claeys tweeted at the time. "I respect their rights (and) support their effort to make a better world!"

On Sunday, Claeys told WCCO Radio that he and his team met before the players decided on the boycott. He said he told them "about all the different fallouts. One was that we they might not be able to play in the bowl game. Two is that we knew that there was going to be a group who took the stance that we were being pro-sexual assault, which we're not. And then I told them there's a great chance I could lose my job over this."

Claeys said his players weren't condoning sexual assault or harassment in any way. But they believed their suspended teammates were denied due process, he said, and that it was "pretty easy" to support them on that issue.

Officials announced the suspensions Tuesday after an internal investigation determined the 10 players violated school conduct codes in an encounter involving a woman and several players at an off-campus apartment Sept. 2. Many of the players who initially backed the boycott Thursday had not read the university's 82-page report detailing the woman's specific allegations. The school had kept those details private under federal law, but players saw it after KSTP-TV published the report Friday.

According to the police report, the woman told police she had consensual sex with two male that night, but that she did not consent to sexual contact with other men who were present, including players. According to university's more detailed internal report, she told university investigators that she believed 10 to 20 men had sex with her that night, though she wasn't sure because she had memory gaps from drinking. Prosecutors declined to press charges, saying there was insufficient evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, but the university uses a lower bar in student discipline cases.

Linebacker Nick Rallis told the station the players believe the boycott succeeded, even though nobody was reinstated, because they believe it will ensure that athletes at Minnesota and other colleges who are accused of misconduct in the future get fair hearings.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-coach-tracy-claeys-says-knew-was-risking-job

You've been quite the peach during all of this. All he had to say is that they will be preparing with the players available. Saying they wouldn't be a distraction was either naive, clueless, or both.

Everything a good coach says (Saban is famous for this) is always directed at his players. Whether he's talking to a reporter at half time, after practice, whatever. If there is a chance a player could be hearing it, he's talking to the players. Make sense? He could care less what you, I, or anyone else thinks of his answers. He's letting his kids know he expects them to come out and practice hard. My opinion anyway.

<b>You've been quite the peach during all of this. </b>All he had to say is that they will be preparing with the players available. Saying they wouldn't be a distraction was either naive, clueless, or both.

Right. I'm not the one painting others as "pro-rape" for questioning the fairness of the process and EOAA report. I'll take peach over those cysts of society any day.

Right. I'm not the one painting others as "pro-rape" for questioning the fairness of the process and EOAA report. I'll take peach over those cysts of society any day.

You do realize that I was making the point that I think Claeys appears to be very disconnected with his team and that his statement was even another indication IMHO. I don't care if you disagree with me on this but enough with the insults. It's sad that people can't just agree to disagree. Thus the use of "peach" instead of other things that I could have typed.

One other thing. You can be totally disgusted with the behavior of the players and the team's reaction and still believe that the EOAA process needs to be changed.

Ignoring the fact that North Carolina's issue has nothing to do with this, I'll answer your question. If they lost control of their situations as much as Claeys has here, then yes. In his case, he sent out a distinctly tone deaf tweet supporting his players' boycott, which they promptly backtracked from after the release of the report by the university. Then, one of his players decided to go on another rant against the school, the girl and anybody that is supporting them despite the boycott ending. On top of that, there's that whole recruit at the sex-party thing. It all gives the impression that the inmates are running the asylum. So yeah, imo, he's lost control of the situation, and for that, he could very likely lose his job.

So because his and the teams narrative doesn't fit your mob justice agenda he should be fired. Got it.

One other thing. You can be totally disgusted with the behavior of the players and the team's reaction and still believe that the EOAA process needs to be changed.

Exactly what I have been saying for 3-days now. Someone called me a peach for saying so.

If he never made the tweet in support of the players and instead gave some generic answer like Kaler has about trying to resolve the issue, he would have had his job last year.

When you publicly disagree with your boss on something that is really important and is on the front page of CNN, you're probably going to lose your job. He could have privately supported the players but remained in the middle in public and would have been fine.

Top Bottom