Claeys' interview with Mike Max on WCCO -was told he'd be back before and after NU gm

GopherLady

Reaction score
This is what I've got so far:

Tracy Claeys on WCCO radio:
Mike Max said Tracy Claeys would have probably stayed silent on this, if it wasn't for Coyle's press conference last night, having his integrity called into question.

Claeys:
• I feel good, and I say that, I wouldn't change anything I did. It's hard. You win 9 ballgames and that part of it takes care of it. After and before NU, you're told you're doing a good job, going to be back next year, and this happens. It's their right to pick their football coach. I do feel I did what was right in supporting the football players.
• What disappoints me in the whole thing, is to bring our up academics, they are great, all our seniors are going to graduate this year. Attendance - everyone knows they increased prices. I don't think they needed to go that far. I can defend every one of those in a legitimate way. It's their right to have anyone lead the football program, I just wish they would have left without the press conference. Throwing out recruiting and numbers, we've been towards the end every year and we won 9 games. I do respect the fact that it's their football program, they can choose who they want to lead it. Hell, I had a great time.
• One incidence it too many, those kids were suspended, it's come back twice. It was all about the due process and the fairness of the whole deal. They brought 6 kids back into it. This does go on and needs to be looked at. They do have constitutional rights. I do think the boycott got accomplished/.
• Any regrets - the tweet, I do think I could have worded it differently. I'm a guy from Kansas. I'd never be pro-rape, anyone that knows me, knows that. It was disappointing that it was spun that way. The culture part of it - we've got good kids, we had a few make a bad decision on one night. I don't wish anything on anybody. It was investigated. There is a fairness deal involved that needs to be straighten out.
• It's a close team, I told them there was a chance when they did that, I don't want them blaming themselves or they're the reason I got fired. I'm a big boy, and will be all right.
• We had that meeting (with Coyle) , it wasn't very long, I'm not a rebel, I have tremendous respect for authority. At the time, I said if you read the report and just read the report, I understand why you'd suspend those kids, but there was a lot more than that. 6 other kids in there, and how that's going to be explained. I told him based on just the report, why he'd suspend them. It doesn't mean I agree with that. From a parent standpoint, there are some issues there. Between what happened from Labor Day, through the police investigation, anyone that had a son involved in that would have questions on how that all worked.
• We've had AD changes where we've been, every AD wants to hire his own guy, it's a feather in their cap. Especially the higher you go up. I have no problem with that. My problem is, how do you justify all this, when after the NU game I was told I had another year. It was everything talked about in the press conference. It's his right, and the President's rights. I wish the best to them.
• I think when you look at the amount of money, for the assistants, I don't think the AD has a sole decision on the amount of money. It took higher ups than that to decide.
• Oh sure, but a different boss at the time, Beth Goetz. No regrets at all. I knew when they chose to go with another AD, there was this chance. The new facilities and all that type of stuff. Emails from fans after the WI game - I was disappointed after that game, we all were, it's a top 10 team on the road. I think we've done a decent job. Who ever the next person is, better have an iron clad contract if it's based on emails from fans and winning 9 games. I've had tremendous support from the former players, HS coaches, etc.
• The Iowa game - that was my fault, I felt like we could have been more physical. We didn't put forth the effort we needed too. We won 9 games, but had a chance to win them all, doing it with kids graduating with GPAs. I don't like the incident that happened, everyone has to do everything they can to get that down. I'm awfully proud from when Coach Kill was here until now.
• Message to fans - they've been great, I've enjoyed the bus tours around the state. It's a hell of a lot better now than when we got there. I just wish the best for the kids. Going around seeing the fans, GREAT midwest people. Maybe I'm too good a guy, a lot of these guys have big egos, I'm not that guy. If I have to change who I am, I don't want to.

Whew, he's not pro-rape.

TC is a nice guy and good position football coach. I'm sure most head coaches would love to have him on their staff. But let's be honest, he's not a head coach. He's here because his boss quit on us mid season. I wish TC well, and think he did a nice job in a difficult situation. He'll get a nice coordinator job at a decent school if that is what he wants. He will never be hired as a head coach unless he wants to go to a lower college level.

Whew, he's not pro-rape.

TC is a nice guy and good position football coach. I'm sure most head coaches would love to have him on their staff. But let's be honest, he's not a head coach. He's here because his boss quit on us mid season. I wish TC well, and think he did a nice job in a difficult situation. He'll get a nice coordinator job at a decent school if that is what he wants. He will never be hired as a head coach unless he wants to go to a lower college level.
He's not a head coach because Mark Coyle fired him. I don't care if he meets LesBolstad's opinion of what a head coach should be. I care that he can run a successful football program and for a year and a half he did.

Actually he is not a Power 5 Conference coach. Best of luck to him.

Actually he is not a Power 5 Conference coach. Best of luck to him.

He could have grown into being a power 5 coach. I do give him credit for 9 wins this season, but he hit some bad luck with the allegations and how he handled it. Sometimes you need to just keep you mouth shut and do what your bosses want because that is how life is. I do not believe that he was run out due to some PC/political agenda. Plenty of coaches have been fired for less and for worse behaviors by the team.

Dean Johnson, the Chair of the Board of Regents was interviewed right after. This is what he had to say:

Dean Johnson:
• We wanted to visit the process with the 10 suspended players, that will be conducted later in January. Wanted to make sure all was in place so the judicial system at the U would take pace. The results can be suspensions from the football team, the U, all on probation, or none of the above. It will go to the provost and she will have 30 days to make her decision. It could be a 4 month process with appeals.
• On Claeys - I've been involved with a lot of tough situations this is one of the toughest. The reason is, I have a great deal of respect for Tracy Claeys, I like this man, I like what's gone on on the field, when we tried to sort out what happened with the tweet - I don't believe he was in anyway supporting those individuals that were involved. That's not the way it played out, it's seemed like he was in support of sexual assault. It's simply not true, I'll defend that to my dying day. The discussion turned to the overall program, the pluses and minuses. Then turned to Mark Coyle, we asked what do you want to do? He said it would be my preference that we change leadership at this time. When they come forth with a recommendation, it's difficult to say "we don't support that." The President said I support the athletic director in that regard.
• Lessons learned: 1. we can't continue to bring these student athletes without supervision, mentoring, sensitivity training…binge drinking, sexual assault, etc. We need to address these issue with our young people. We owe it to our young people and to the U of MN. 2nd: The whole messaging between the president and AD, it got convoluted. Police said no change. Mike Freeman said no charge. Most thought it was over What was not explained was the student code of conduct and other investigations taking place. The 15th of December, the suspensions came. They became confused, and there was a breakdown of communication.
• Is Kaler's job in : The president is accountable to the board, each year we do a review, will be in May. People have an opportunity to weight in. We'll review what is working and what is not. He's not perfect, but it'd difficult to be there. We have some work to do. My New Year's resolution is to get the Gopher program off the front page of the news, that is our goal. On Coyle - I thought he did ok. He has some lessons to learn when it comes to messaging. That's on us. The buck stops here, the chair of the board of regents. We have work to do with crisis management and communications. We insisted that his $500K be paid, and pay the coaches for the year. It's contractually obligated, but sometimes it can be confused too, wanted to make sure that was going to happen.
• The sooner the better, I know Mr. Coyle is making phone calls and visiting, and hopefully in a day or two we'll get an update. I think it would be good for the university, to have a new coach and start putting a new team together of assistants, the recruits need to be contacted, the current players need to be contacted, the parents do, we need to move forward.
• Max told him to get Craig Bohl - I've heard he should be contacted. My wife, who is a Cornhusker things we should get Bo Pelini.

Coyle is a snake...Kaley is no better. All for personal gain...sad

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Coyle is a snake...Kaley is no better. All for personal gain...sad

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Coyle is a spineless weasel and kaler is a snake. Both have very little leadership skills and are mainly concerned about self preservation and personal gain. Regardless of what happened on 9/2/2016, they are going to make sure Claeys takes the fall, and the tweet is the bullet that did him in.

I always knew Kaler was rat, but I really dislike nasal toned hick AD, that guy is a 100 percent turd. The word was that he was rarely seen around practice and had almost no interaction with the football staff. Coyle had an agenda the whole time, fire TC and get is lackey, or his view of a big time guy (row the boat) in place.

Coyle's job is to sell tickets and fund the whole program and he did not like TC as the face of he program. I really hate this decision, though.

Coyle is a prick, can't support anything tied to him.

If he hires his buddy from high school I will buy the pitchforks.

Ralph, what/ whot the heck is your avatar? I sure hope that is not the woman involved in all of this.

I just watched the WCCO Mike Max Interview again , and combined with my recollection of the Dean Johnson interview with Dan B at 4 PM has me red hot POed again.

Tracy Claeys was completely crapped on. He was fired for the tweet and not suppressing the boycott movement (that started when he was in SD). Where is the accountability for Kaler and Coyle allowing the EOAA to move forward without including TC in managing the delivery of the message.

Dean Johnson, who I used to have issues with when he was at the capital, did a nice job of laying out the issue. He did not fare so well when trying to answer Dan B's tough questions. It is very clear from that interview that Dean Johnson and several the Regents had problems with the Claeys decsions, but did not have the will or strength to counter or blow away Kaler and Coyle. Dean Johnson wanted to keep Claeys, and a few more Regents did as well.

Top Bottom