Claeys in game coaching

Maroon92

Reaction score
Now that we have a half a season of what he can do-- any thoughts on him?

It definitely is different than Kills style. A lot more risk taking but even more bizarre calls that when they don't work really stick out-- tonight for example the onside kick (which we have been horrible this year at) and also the 4th down play where we should have punted at that point in the game with the score and how the defense was playing.

I like that he is unpredictable however it seems like most of those calls did not go favorably for the Gophers

I like that he isn't afraid to take chances... even if it's in wrong situations. The first thing that comes to mind when I think about his in-game coaching is... He's learning on the job. Example: Michigan Game Ending. Over time, he'll learn all that. I think with the offseason and new coaches, he will learn to do things his way and improve drastically.

Coach clearly had confidence in his defense to try the onside kick.

He clearly has the killer instinct, and I will never fault him for that.

Thus far, the only thing that really has bothered me is some of the timeouts wasted. I'll grant him the 2 pt. play against Michigan because that was a pretty big play in the game to keep it only a 1 point vs. 3 point game, but burning a TO against Iowa on their 2 pt. play, & using one when Central Michigan came out with their offense on a 4th down, but was not in a go for it position where you had a good idea that the QB would simply quick kick it. Or at least, the D should have been prepared for it.

Seems like some of the timeouts could be saved with better preparation ahead of time on what teams may do on 2 point conversions. Otherwise, I haven't seen anything super drastic to make me cringe.

I've got no beef with the on-side kick or the 4th and 2. I do have a beef with kicking the ball laterally, out of bounds, before it goes 10 yards as well as throwing a pass for -1 yards when you need 2 yards to convert the first down. Decisions are solid; tactics are lacking.

Coach clearly had confidence in his defense to try the onside kick.
Agreed they forced a punt there, no harm no foul. the 4th and 2 baffled me though, I think if you're going to do it the play has to go beyond the markers

I like that he isn't afraid to take chances... even if it's in wrong situations. The first thing that comes to mind when I think about his in-game coaching is... He's learning on the job. Example: Michigan Game Ending. Over time, he'll learn all that. I think with the offseason and new coaches, he will learn to do things his way and improve drastically.

I believe the Michigan blunder was really on Limegrover and grounds for termination from that loss alone. I like Claeys no bull**** attitude, you do what you are coached to do or you don't play!

I've got no beef with the on-side kick or the 4th and 2. I do have a beef with kicking the ball laterally, out of bounds, before it goes 10 yards as well as throwing a pass for -1 yards when you need 2 yards to convert the first down. Decisions are solid; tactics are lacking.

Guessing they practice those situations plenty. Believe it or not, players occasionally screw up. And, no, don't say "coaching." Not a one, from Stagg to Saban has been able to get his players to execute with 100% efficiency.

They score on that play and he's a risk-taking genius.

Thus far, the only thing that really has bothered me is some of the timeouts wasted. I'll grant him the 2 pt. play against Michigan because that was a pretty big play in the game to keep it only a 1 point vs. 3 point game, but burning a TO against Iowa on their 2 pt. play, & using one when Central Michigan came out with their offense on a 4th down, but was not in a go for it position where you had a good idea that the QB would simply quick kick it. Or at least, the D should have been prepared for it.

Seems like some of the timeouts could be saved with better preparation ahead of time on what teams may do on 2 point conversions. Otherwise, I haven't seen anything super drastic to make me cringe.

Honestly, that's being pretty nit-picky. All coaches, even the best prepared, mess up on timeouts. I'm sure we could go back and find as many or more made by opposing coaches.

Top Bottom