Claeys end of year meeting with Coyle

Gopher028

Reaction score
Coyle will bring Claeys into his office, and ask him,
"why should I extend you? Why should I keep you?"

He needs to ask this question telling Tracy not to cite, for 'continuity'. Given these fact patterns.

Tracy fired an offensive coordinator and qb coach, hired a new OC/QB coach, and got worse results with
an easier schedule. (Yes I know more points vs the worse of the worse, but we wont always have the worst.)
Further to that, we lost at least three offensive recruits, high 3 low 4 star recruits (two good o-lineman)
as a result of 'maintaining continuity' then firing the guy they committed to...

Hired Jay Johnson, a mediocre o-coord from ULL.
Here's a guy who promised balance. Promised an offense that's going to keep defenses
thinking and on their heels. When did this happen? He hardly ran the jet sweep (which works), ran up the
middle more than Limegrover/Kill wanted, hardly ran outside, never further developed Mitch and was the
worst second half coach in the league. ZERO second half pts vs Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin and what, 7 vs
PSU. All games that should've been won, but were p*ssed away.

This game, ZERO outside runs, from start to finish. Zero zone read options (which worked like gang busters)
in all the second half. Ran a hurry up throw happy offense like there was 40 seconds left with a team that's built to run
and had over 6 minutes left.

The reason why were 8-4 and not 11-1 or 12-0, is Jay Johnson. Going forward, our schedule only gets harder and harder.

Now, how will Claeys answer Coyle's question. "Why should I keep you?"

Here's what the Claeys backers will say: Because I'm only a first year coach and I'm learning on the job. I have to change the mess Kill left on offense so we can be REALLY successful. The OC I hired also needs to learn on the job, our offense will be great once we get his QB! Plus, I didn't get blown out in any games, doesn't losing close matter? Just give me a few years, I have nothing to do with the previous 5 years. After all, you did hire me with the idea that it would take a few years to beat good teams right? Oh, wait [emoji6], whoops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because the kids competed hard and he'd feel bad for the kids if he were to be let go.

Or something like that.

1. Because only once in the past 100 years of Gopher football has a head coach won more games than I did this year!
2. Because our only losses on the year, and I am not proud of them, were to teams that were all ranked as high as 13th in the country this year.
3. Because we lost to the BIG east winner on the road in overtime and I am going to get that fixed, still learning how to win the close games, especially on the road.
4. Because I won 6 games at home, tell me who has won more than that since TCF opened up.
5. If you're going to fire me, then fire me! I don't need to explain myself after the year we had, I think you have my agents number. Have a nice day!

We have been firing our way to excellence since 1971 when we got rid of Murray Warmath. Maybe this is not soluble. Maybe God is punishing us for firing Murray, is not done punishing us, and we still have much penance to do for this sin. Don't see the logic in firing a 1st year head coach who went 5-4 in the Big Ten (.555) and 8-4 overall (.667). Our schedule was not easier this year. This is propaganda that detractors who wanted Claeys fired from the get go have been promulgating since Spring 2016. We lost to the Big Ten East Champion in overtime on the road at Beaver Stadium against 100,000+ blue and white fans in Happy Valley. Anybody who penciled this game in as a "win" had to be snorting coke or smoking crack. We lost to the Big Ten West Champion at Camp Randall Stadium against 80,000+ Badger faithful. Anybody who penciled this game in as a "win" likewise had to be snorting coke or smoking crack. This leaves two games, the first being the Nebraska game at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln against 90,000+ rabid Husker faithful. Who had this game penciled in as a win? I certainly did not. This leaves Iowa. True, we drew Iowa at home instead of Kinnick. Maybe this should have been penciled in as a "win", but Las Vegas said we are underdogs, again. In every one of these games Las Vegas had us underdogs and we lost almost exactly by the same margin as the line. So the sports betting legal arm of organized crime in America did not think we would win any of these games either. The predictable becomes fact and the instantaneous reaction by the StarTribune peanut gallery and GopherHolers is to fire Claeys. Albert Einstein said it best. He defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Let the firing festival continue!

1. Because only once in the past 100 years of Gopher football has a head coach won more games than I did this year!
2. Because our only losses on the year, and I am not proud of them, were to teams that were all ranked as high as 13th in the country this year.
3. Because we lost to the BIG east winner on the road in overtime and I am going to get that fixed, still learning how to win the close games, especially on the road.
4. Because I won 6 games at home, tell me who has won more than that since TCF opened up.
5. If you're going to fire me, then fire me! I don't need to explain myself after the year we had, I think you have my agents number. Have a nice day!
Good points, though no. 1 is due to the additional games teams now play. Gophers have been close with all ranked opponents, including those like Penn State that were sleepers, for past two years. But they need a lot more imagination on offense and a QB who is clearly superior.

Top Bottom