GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Citrus Bowl Preview: Gophers Looking For First Bowl Win in a Decade
By Grant Erickson and Travis Erickson

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/461535?referrer_id=388419

PREGAME NOTES

No. 16 Missouri (10-3 overall, 7-1 SEC) vs. No. 25 Minnesota (8-4 overall, 5-3 Big Ten)
Orlando, Florida – Orlando Citrus Bowl (65,438)
Thursday 12:00 p.m. CT – ABC

It’s been a long wait since the Gophers’ last game but New Year’s Day could prove well worth it as the Maroon and Gold take on the Missouri Tigers in the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl. Minnesota has not played in a January bowl game since 1962 (a 21-3 victory over UCLA in the Rose Bowl) and will have a tough road as they square off against one of the best from the SEC.

“They played for the SEC Championship, so you know it's going to be a tough, physical game,” said Mitch Leidner. “We've got to prepare, work hard, and get ready for this one.”

Series History

The Gophers have only played Mizzou a handful of times; trailing 4-3-1 in the all-time series. The Tigers have won the last three meetings including the most recent contest, a 34-12 Missouri victory in Columbia to start the 1970 season. To be fair, the 1970 Gophers weren’t the most impressive team in school history; compiling just three wins on the year. Look for a much more competitive matchup on Thursday when these two squads face off.

Going Bowling

On New Year’s Day, the Gophers will look to change their string of bad luck in bowl games. Over 16 previous bowl trips, Minnesota is just 5-11, including losses in its last six. The Gophers’ last bowl win came against Alabama, a 20-16 contest in the 2004 Music City Bowl. Minnesota has come a long way under Jerry Kill and will look to finish this season with a bowl victory, sending the seniors off in style.

“You know, you can't help but look back on our journey and everything we've invested, from a 3-9 football team to now having the opportunity to compete in the Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl,” said Cameron Botticelli. “We would love nothing more than to send our seniors home with a win.”

In Minnesota’s last postseason appearance, the Gophers suffered a disappointing 21-17 loss to Syracuse in the 2013 Texas Bowl. The team is prepared to take home their first bowl victory under Jerry Kill.

“I think there is a different kind of focus than there was a year ago,” said Kill. “The kids were disappointed in our performance, and I think we have a good senior group and they are making sure the younger guys understand. I just think there is more focus and great enthusiasm.”

Having not played in a New Year’s bowl in 52 years, Minnesota is looking forward to spending their holiday on the field.

“I think a lot of guys would agree that it's more exciting to be getting ready for a football game on January first than hanging out with friends and watching games,” said David Cobb. “I think guys will be excited and ready to go just in that fact, with it being such a great bowl and an opportunity to put it on the big stage in front of a lot people and just prove how good we are.”

Season to Date

The Tigers finished atop the SEC East standings with seven conference wins and only one loss (Georgia). Missouri met No. 1 Alabama in the SEC Championship game where the Tide easily disposed of the Tigers, 42-13. Prior to the loss, Missouri rattled off six straight wins including victories on the road over Florida, Texas A&M, and Tennessee. Mizzou’s other loss was to Indiana, in late September, when the Hoosiers upset the Tigers in Columbia, 31-27.

Coaching Preview

Gary Pinkel is in his 14th season as the head coach of Missouri where he has compiled a 112-66 record; making him the winningest coach in program history. After a dismal introduction to the nation’s premier conference in 2012—when the Tigers finished 5-7—Pinkel has since led Mizzou to back-to-back SEC East titles. Pinkel has notched two 12-win seasons (2007, 2013) during his tenure and was honored as the Big 12 Co-Coach of the Year in 2007. Prior to taking over the Missouri program, Pinkel coached 10 seasons at Toledo where he racked up 73 wins and finished 11-0-1 in 1995.

Containing Mauk

The Gophers defensive has been a consistent group all season. Against Mizzou, Tracy Claeys and the D will have to put on one of their best performances to slow down the Tigers’ athletic quarterback, Maty Mauk. Just a sophomore, Mauk had an impressive year as he threw for 2551 yards and 23 touchdowns while also running for 335 yards.

“[Mauk] is a very dynamic player,” said Botticelli. “He can make plays with his feet and his arm. The quarterback will put the ball in the air and let his receivers go make a play for him.”

Mauk has an incredible ability to scramble, get outside of the pocket, and make things happen downfield after a play breaks down. While the Gophers will try to keep contain on Mauk, the secondary is prepared to prevent a big play if Mauk finds space.

“It's hard playing a quarterback like that,” said Cedric Thompson. “All the receivers are trained to run a route on that particular play, and when they just start running out of nowhere it's hard. Our scout team quarterback, Dimonic (Roden-McKinzy), is doing a great job scrambling. He's got us practicing out there and chasing wide receivers around.”

Matchup to Watch

The key to Thursday’s contest will be a strength-against-strength matchup, pitting Minnesota’s offensive line against one of the best defensive lines in the country. Headlined by First Team All-American and unanimous SEC Player of the Year, defensive end, Shane Ray, and Second Team All-SEC defensive end, Markus Golden, the Tigers have racked up a conference-leading 42 sacks on the year.

“On bowl selection Sunday, I didn't have any gray hair, and then I started watching their front four; so things have changed significantly,” joked Matt Limegrover. “I'm not afraid to say, they're going to be the best one we face all year as far as all four guys, and they have real good depth and they're going to keep coming after you.”

Not only is the Tigers’ line athletically talented, the group is also very fundamentally sound.

“If we're not right on line with everything we do techniquewise, Missouri’s the kind of front that they can make you look bad in a hurry,” said Limegrover.

Playing in a conference that has a number of teams that can pound the football, Mizzou expects that they will be able to handle the powerful Minnesota offensive line.

“We are going to use our speed, athleticism and strength up front,” said Ray. “Get under kick-out blocks and do everything that we need to do that we have been doing this year. We played run teams all year in the SEC. What Minnesota is doing – we’ve seen a lot of this. We just need to come out and be physical…We’ll handle our business.”

Player to Watch

No. 6 Marcus Murphy – The senior running back/returner is one of the most explosive players in the country. Murphy, who was named SEC Special Teams Player of the Year, ranks second in the SEC in all-purpose yards per game (131.9) including 963 yards of offense. He is the only player in the nation this season to score via all four all-purpose categories: rushing (4), kickoff returns (2), punt returns (1), and receiving (1). The 5-foot-9, 195-pounder holds the school record for return touchdowns with seven.

Background

Enrollment: 35,441
Conference: SEC (East)
Mascot: Truman the Tiger
Colors: Black and MU Gold
Coach: Gary Pinkel (14th Season)

It's hard to believe its been 10 years since the last bowl win. We've sure let a few slip away over the past decade.

Go Gophers!!

Love Limegrover! “On bowl selection Sunday, I didn't have any gray hair, and then I started watching their front four; so things have changed significantly,” joked Matt Limegrover. “I'm not afraid to say, they're going to be the best one we face all year as far as all four guys, and they have real good depth and they're going to keep coming after you.”

Top Bottom