Ciarrocca - Pay Cut

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
Reaction score
Kirk Ciarrocca, rehired as Gophers offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach on Monday, received a two-year contract that will pay him a base salary of $625,000 for each of the 2022 and 2023 seasons, with incentives to make more, according to the document obtained by the Star Tribune.

Ciarrocca had a base salary of $720,000 with the Gophers in 2019 and was scheduled to make $1 million in both 2020 and 2021 at Minnesota. Instead, the Lewisberry, Pa., native took the job at Penn State, which does not divulge coaching salaries.

Fleck must be a persuasive guy. "Come on back to the job you left two years ago. I'll pay you roughly the same amount you're making at your current job, which is almost four hundred thousand dollars less than you were scheduled to earn here before you left."

Was Ciarrocca desperately unhappy at WVA?

Fleck must be a persuasive guy. "Come on back to the job you left two years ago. I'll pay you roughly the same amount you're making at your current job, which is almost four hundred thousand dollars less than you were scheduled to earn here before you left."

Was Ciarrocca desperately unhappy at WVA?
Analysts don't make as much as coordinators. I'm sure Kirk was smart enough to realize that making a P5 coordinator's salary is better than not making a P5 coordinator's salary, even if it's lower than what he used to make.

I'm also sure that PJ will do everything possible to make him whole as soon as possible.

I mean, Fleck could’ve taken a pay cut if he wanted KC to make the same?

I realize coaching salaries have skyrocketed in recent years.

But - compared to most professions, $625,000 with a chance to earn more through incentives is a damn nice paycheck. The average annual salary in MN is just over $57,000.

In the immortal words of Bixby Snyder, "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

I realize coaching salaries have skyrocketed in recent years.

But - compared to most professions, $625,000 with a chance to earn more through incentives is a damn nice paycheck. The average annual salary in MN is just over $57,000.

In the immortal words of Bixby Snyder, "I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Most people wouldn't take the risk to be a full-time football coach so those that do and are successful get rewarded. Nothing wrong with that. For every one Kirk, there are 100 former graduate assistants that went on to become insurance agents.

That's just smart if you can get him for less money. Lots of other good coaches on the staff that I'd like to stick around, so hopefully this allows more money to go around across the board.

He didn’t take a pay cut. He left and was subsequently fired.
Is Brett beilema making more than his Arkansas days? He won the big ten at wisconsin!

Not all that surprising. Before we were trying to keep him around. Now he's falling back because he didn't get it done at a more prestigious job. We had the upper hand this time.

Coupling this (only a 2 year contract despite his proven success here with players and that he did want to be closer to home) with Simons tweet.

i do wonder, would it surprise anyone if they brokered a deal to get Simon ready to be an OC. So PJ wants Kirk to groom him a bit more.

if youre bringing back a record setting OC, youdthink to lock him up for a but longer.

Coupling this (only a 2 year contract despite his proven success here with players and that he did want to be closer to home) with Simons tweet.

i do wonder, would it surprise anyone if they brokered a deal to get Simon ready to be an OC. So PJ wants Kirk to groom him a bit more.

if youre bringing back a record setting OC, youdthink to lock him up for a but longer.
How many coordinators in the big ten have more than a 1 year deal?

I wondering the same thing.

maybe not Simon but possibly just understood that this might not be a long term thing.

With higher inflation, I don't know how he'll feed his family.
This guy can help w that...he's had to work through it.

Latrell-Sprewell-Net-Worth.png

Most people wouldn't take the risk to be a full-time football coach so those that do and are successful get rewarded. Nothing wrong with that. For every one Kirk, there are 100 former graduate assistants that went on to become insurance agents.
Yeah. And for every Kirk there are 6 guys working at Winona state for 31k a year

He'll work for one year at the rate. Then there will only be one year remaining on the contract. Then he'll negotiate for his $1M+. It's all purely optical. That's why the contract is for two years.

Do well and I'm sure it goes up from there.
My guess is the base salary comes out of one pool of money, and the incentives come out of another. At least that is how it tends to work in corporate world in terms of somebody's P&L for the year.

The average annual salary in MN is just over $57,000.
Yet people complain were not paying the players, coaches, entertainers etc. enough, all the while as those rates go up, we as customers have to pay more to justify those salaries. Our system is way out of whack.

I wondering the same thing.

maybe not Simon but possibly just understood that this might not be a long term thing.
This is an interesting hypothesis.

Clearly we know: Kirk Ciarrocca does not want to live in the state of Minnesota. Whether it's largely (solely?) to do with family issues, or what ... he does not want to be here long term.

He interviewed for WV's OC job after 2018. Fleck convinced him to stay. After the great 2019 year, he parlayed that into a "dream job" scenario of Penn State OC, back East where he wants to be. Got scape-goated, had to take an analyst role at WV for 21.

Maybe coming back to Minn for 2022 is simply his best, short-term option to get back into the game.

Will be interesting to keep an eye on.

Analysts don't make as much as coordinators. I'm sure Kirk was smart enough to realize that making a P5 coordinator's salary is better than not making a P5 coordinator's salary, even if it's lower than what he used to make.

I'm also sure that PJ will do everything possible to make him whole as soon as possible.
Usually coordinators seem to get 2 year contracts and Kirk coached 1 year before being shown the door. He got paid his second year because he was let go without cause. His only obligation is he needs to look for a comparable job and if he gets a comparable job then they don't have to pay him from that point forward. I think worst case scenario he got paid his Penn State salary this year minus is Offensive consultant/advisor salary, best case scenario he gets paid both this year.

I don’t know how you pay him (slightly) less than Sanford. That’s insulting, and could create underlying tension. Yes, it’s still a lot of money but everything is relative. Would any of you want to be paid at a lower rate than a coworker you know is a fraud or not pulling their weight?

Pay the man. He’s a proven commodity. Claw back game checks for BG, IL.

Top Bottom