Christmas Traditions

Full Speed Ahead

Reaction score
Merry Christmas all GH'ers. Here's to the past year and hopes for the coming one. Thought I'd start a thread on Christmas traditions that folks do....

In my case, Mom grew up on a farm during the depression era and they didn't have a lot, but each year for Christmas her dad would make a batch of root beer, which for her was a big treat. Mom passed away some time ago, but we keep the tradition going. Each November our family brews a batch of root beer and come December we bottle it -- that's what we drink Christmas day (and we buy non-alcoholic root beer for the kids). Kind of a different tradition, but it's one we like. Rootbeer floats for Christmas Eve and root beer drinks on Christmas Day.

Here's hoping you have a great holiday, and yes, my root beer bottles are of course Maroon and Gold.

rootbeer.jpg

I think a lot of holiday traditions involve food.

My family always eats the same food on Christmas - mostly Scandinavian in origin. My sister makes some dynamite Swedish Meatballs. And my Mom always used to make Rum pie for Christmas. Given her age, (95) she has cut back on some of her baking and cooking, so don't know if we'll get the Rum pie this year. If you've never had it, it's excellent. That was always the source of some family humor when Mom would run out of rum and have to go to the liquor store for a new bottle. If you knew my Mom, she is about the last person you would ever expect to see in a liquor store. So she would always have to explain, in great detail, that she was buying it for cooking, not for drinking.

Merry Christmas. I think I'll have some lefse now.

Merry Christmas all GH'ers. Here's to the past year and hopes for the coming one. Thought I'd start a thread on Christmas traditions that folks do....

In my case, Mom grew up on a farm during the depression era and they didn't have a lot, but each year for Christmas her dad would make a batch of root beer, which for her was a big treat. Mom passed away some time ago, but we keep the tradition going. Each November our family brews a batch of root beer and come December we bottle it -- that's what we drink Christmas day (and we buy non-alcoholic root beer for the kids). Kind of a different tradition, but it's one we like. Rootbeer floats for Christmas Eve and root beer drinks on Christmas Day.

Here's hoping you have a great holiday, and yes, my root beer bottles are of course Maroon and Gold.

View attachment 16080
My neighbor used to cook up her own root beer. Perhaps the nastiest concoction known to man, but she passed it out anyway. I miss her!

View attachment 16080
You're saying the home made root beer had alcohol in it? My mom used to talk about that too, but left that detail out....

You're saying the home made root beer had alcohol in it? My mom used to talk about that too, but left that detail out....
Yep, it's beer, and by the end of New Year's it's gone. We only make one batch of it a year.

View attachment 16080

Well this is kind of a mic-drop post. Who in the world is going to top this? That sounds pretty awesome to me. Very well done

View attachment 16080
What a great tradition!

About the only real tradition we have is we always eat venison sausage on Christmas Eve. Growing up we would go to midnight mass so that was normally like a 10pm meal. Then we'd spend most of mass elbowing each other to keep everyone awake. Don't do the midnight mass anymore but still do the sausage.

We'll get the cards out and get a few games of smear going. Those of you from Northern MN probably know it.

Each November our family brews a batch of root beer and come December we bottle it -- that's what we drink Christmas day (and we buy non-alcoholic root beer for the kids).

Do you brew alcoholic root beer for the adults?
Is that even a thing?

Do you brew alcoholic root beer for the adults?
Is that even a thing?
Yep, I actually have no idea how you'd brew a non-alcoholic beer - never looked into that -- guess it'd be a "SodaStream" kind of deal. And "hard root beer" is indeed available. GIve 'er a try, here's a list for ya.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet: lutefisk.

My wife's family has it every Christmas. As is tradition, all new members of the family have to get a spoonful down to gain acceptance. I have long since passed the test. But have seen many struggle since. I actually didn't think it was that terrible. But I'm fine with just the prime rib now.

What a great tradition!

About the only real tradition we have is we always eat venison sausage on Christmas Eve. Growing up we would go to midnight mass so that was normally like a 10pm meal. Then we'd spend most of mass elbowing each other to keep everyone awake. Don't do the midnight mass anymore but still do the sausage.
Had a similar tradition growing up. Great uncle was a butcher and would make a special batch of Polish sausage for the holidays. My Dad would grill it up for breakfast along with a huge batch of scrambled eggs.

Top Bottom