Chris Streveler

Nomellini

Reaction score
With his 10 completions this season, Streveler now has 27 in his NFL career, just 5 behind our NFL alumni leader.....Bronko Nagurski! Quite sad that our leader wasn't even a quarterback. Not to stir up a hornet's nest, but could he have been better than Leidner if given the opportunity? It appeared that he was under orders to keep the ball in his lone start vs. San Jose State so didn't get a chance to show much.

Last edited:

With his 10 completions this season, Streveler now has 27 in his NFL career, just 5 behind our NFL alumni leader.....Bronko Nagurski! Quite sad that our leader wasn't even a quarterback. Not to stir up a hornet's nest, but could he have been better than Leidner if given the opportunity? It appeared that he was under orders to keep the ball in his lone start vs. San Jose State so didn't get a chance to show much.
Yep, I'll never be someone that goes out of my way to bash Leidner, Weber, Morgan or Athan in 5 years but we should have made the move with Streveler.

With Kill's offense, we always talked about good it would have looked with a Chandler Harnish or Jordan Lynch type at QB, well Streveler has had a better pro career than either of them either.

I think we had our Chandler Harnish, but for whatever reason, we didn't play him.

I don't know what it is about the U, but we somehow cannot recruit or create great QB's, plenty of good ones, but none who have thrived in the NFL. I have not researched it but there might be several universities in the same boat. I know that South Carolina is similar. In the mid-80's they recruited a hot shot recruit from North Carolina (Todd Ellis). When he was recruited by coach Jim Washburn a part of the sales pitch was that SC had never had a great QB. Forty years later it could still be argued that the Gamecocks have never had the QB who was a star at the next level. I'm trying to think if Wisconsin has had many (who was not a grad transfer). Randy Wright was not a star.

Yep, I'll never be someone that goes out of my way to bash Leidner, Weber, Morgan or Athan in 5 years but we should have made the move with Streveler.

With Kill's offense, we always talked about good it would have looked with a Chandler Harnish or Jordan Lynch type at QB, well Streveler has had a better pro career than either of them either.

I think we had our Chandler Harnish, but for whatever reason, we didn't play him.
Yeah I remember when we recruited him, my thought was he was our Jordan Lynch. He threw a dart at TCU for our only score in garbage time, his only TD pass at the U. I don't think he ever showed anything to surplant Mitch and in 2015 it seemed like Kill favored Croft over Strev as well. Clearly the best thing to happen to him was to leave but would have been nice to have had him in 2017 in Flecks first year, and that team goes to a Bowl

Yeah I remember when we recruited him, my thought was he was our Jordan Lynch. He threw a dart at TCU for our only score in garbage time, his only TD pass at the U. I don't think he ever showed anything to surplant Mitch and in 2015 it seemed like Kill favored Croft over Strev as well. Clearly the best thing to happen to him was to leave but would have been nice to have had him in 2017 in Flecks first year, and that team goes to a Bowl
Yeah, they moved him to WR too. I get not wanting to pull a QB, but Leidner left many games where a backup could have come in for a spark.

It’s pretty amazing how much we talk about Streveler on this site considering he had I believe exactly 1 career start at The U? Maybe it’s just me but I simply don’t care about him and his what could’ve been story.

I don't care but I will still take the time to read the thread and comment: IALTO

Kill once started something called DeMarcus Grady over both of them.

It’s pretty amazing how much we talk about Streveler on this site considering he had I believe exactly 1 career start at The U? Maybe it’s just me but I simply don’t care about him and his what could’ve been story.
I think that's precisely why there is so much chatter about him. He played on a team that was decent QB play away from being really good and he's had more of an NFL QB career than almost any QB ever.

It seems like kind of an interesting subject.

How else can we poke ourselves in the eye repeatedly?!?!?!?

/s

He was runner-up for the FCS equivalent
to the Heisman, is a living legend both in Canada and in South Dakota for his exploits there, and is scratching out a career in the NFL. We all missed out on a lot of fun by him not getting the nod while he was here. It’s old news though and we might just be entering Gopher quarterback Shangri-La with number 8.

Yeah but one of those teams was close to being a west winner and average qb skills would have sealed the deal. I am certain that is part of the bitterness.

The point on Streveler is that he seldom played under Kill, but went on to play QB in Canada and now is a backup in the NFL. Seems like Kill made a massive mistake on Streveler, doesn’t it?

The point on Streveler is that he seldom played under Kill, but went on to play QB in Canada and now is a backup in the NFL. Seems like Kill made a massive mistake on Streveler, doesn’t it?
They always say you need to build the system around your players and Kill and Co. did the opposite or at least failed to identify the strengths/weaknesses of their players.

Kill's relegation of Streveler to backup status was a pretty typical experience for players like him. Leidner was 6'4" and about 240; he also had a pretty big arm. Leidner had the physical attributes; his shortcomings were more on the mental side. It also must be said that Leidner's first year as the full time starter was a pretty good year and the team had a fairly good record with him as a starter over his last 3 years (at least for Minnesota football standards at the time).

Despite his FCS accolades (which were mostly just from one season), Streveler went undrafted. When he went to Canada, he still was assigned to backup status most of the time. In the NFL, he's performed reasonably well when called upon but those occasions have not been frequent. Streveler's experience at Minnesota probably would have been similar at the substantial majority of P5 schools. Players with his physical attributes just aren't tabbed as the #1 option very often.

Last edited:

Saw a note that Arena football is making a comeback. Streveler strikes me as a player that is built for that kind of football and could be a star.

creative offensive minds in the NFL have benefitted Streveler and many other athletic QBs. He would not be in the leauge 20 years ago

Saw a note that Arena football is making a comeback. Streveler strikes me as a player that is built for that kind of football and could be a star.
He plays in the NFL, why seemingly take a pay cut? A agree that he would be really good in that league.

He plays in the NFL, why seemingly take a pay cut? A agree that he would be really good in that league.
Obviously if he can stick in the NFL and make that money he would be crazy not to but he has appeared in 9 games in 3 seasons so his spot in the NFL is far from secure.

Arena football could make for a nice fallback option for him however if he hits a point where the NFL is no longer a viable option.

I'll take a Chris Streveler discussion over one about whether giving Jaden Henley more minutes would have kept us with within 30 points of Rutgers, any day.
Yeah, I venture over to the basketball board from time to time but can't spend much time there with how toxic it is right now.

He'd probably make more money working at a grocery store.

Yeah, I venture over to the basketball board from time to time but can't spend much time there with how toxic it is right now.
We get more activity here after losses….

Can’t imagine/ don’t want to know what it is like there….

Top Bottom