Chris Streveler to enroll early

I like this...getting QBs an extra spring is never bad. Next year we have a So, R-Fr and Fr at QB. Going to be a tough year if we have some injuries...really need the running game and O-line to make it happen next year for us to have a decent year. After next year...we have some really nice stabilization will all Kill recruits in the offense...all we are missing is a game changing RB!

Yeah, that's a lot of pressure on this one kid. I think a lot of that will depend upon how they view Leidner and if Foreman is a factor at all.

I'm not sure what is going on with Foreman and I can't really speculate either way, but I think it's safe to assume his standing at QB for U of MN is dubious.

Leidner....well, to me he seems like he's cut out of the same cloth as Shortell. He is a larger guy, big arm and not incredibly mobile. I think a lot of us thought Leidner would end up switching positions and there was some talk about that last year (couple off hand references about getting him on the field). I'm sure he remains at QB now, but if Shortell just left because he wasn't a fit, how well of a fit is Leidner going to be.

IMO, we need a guy who can take hits off of Nelson, especially in the running game AND we need a legitimate backup QB. I'm fine with them being the same person and maybe that's Streveler.

Either way...it's great news that he's going to enroll early, he has been really impressive.

If they can make anything out of Foreman it will be as some kind of Wildcat formation qb in short yardage situations. Put him in there and have him run straight forward a few times and then once a season have him throw the ball.

Yeah, that's a lot of pressure on this one kid. I think a lot of that will depend upon how they view Leidner and if Foreman is a factor at all.

I'm not sure what is going on with Foreman and I can't really speculate either way, but I think it's safe to assume his standing at QB for U of MN is dubious.

Leidner....well, to me he seems like he's cut out of the same cloth as Shortell. He is a larger guy, big arm and not incredibly mobile. I think a lot of us thought Leidner would end up switching positions and there was some talk about that last year (couple off hand references about getting him on the field). I'm sure he remains at QB now, but if Shortell just left because he wasn't a fit, how well of a fit is Leidner going to be.

IMO, we need a guy who can take hits off of Nelson, especially in the running game AND we need a legitimate backup QB. I'm fine with them being the same person and maybe that's Streveler.

Either way...it's great news that he's going to enroll early, he has been really impressive.

Why did Kill specifically recruit him as a QB, based on his throwing and running skills at camp, and practice him at a QB if he "doesn't fit"? The obvious answer is that he is not like Shortell at all. "A lot" of people ain't the coach. Kill is.

Why did Kill specifically recruit him as a QB, based on his throwing and running skills at camp, and practice him at a QB if he "doesn't fit"? The obvious answer is that he is not like Shortell at all. "A lot" of people ain't the coach. Kill is.

There is going to be a lot of experts here who are going to be looking for a job then.

The thought was he could move positions if he didn't work out at QB. If I remember correctly, Limegrover even said this as part of his signing day video. In a perfect Gopher football world, Shortell would still be part of the team and Dexter Foreman would be serviceable, which would give us 3 QBs to compete for minutes next year (Nelson, Shortell, Foreman), while redshirting Streveler and moving Leidner to a different position if he wasn't as good as the other 3. Given that we only have 3 warm bodies to play QB next year, Leidner isn't going anywhere.

JG summed it up pretty well.

The fact is, at QB, he will be a similar type of player as Shortell.

As far as me "not being the coach", you're right. It's pretty easy to deduce things with by using a little common sense though. I know you got all worked up a couple of years ago when I talked about Kill eventually moving Edwards to LB, I think it evoked an almost identical response to this response.

Again, I'm not saying what Kill SHOULD do, I am just saying that Leidner is a similar type of QB to Shortell. I've seen him play, I've seen him run, he's got a terrific arm, he's large and he's not too mobile (for a QB). I don't need to be a coach to see that.

Lastly, Kill and his staff have made references to Leidner being able to play multiple positions, they've talked about him possibly moving to another position at some time. I didn't just dream this up out of nowhere.

There is going to be a lot of experts here who are going to be looking for a job then.
Do you ever say anything other than this? 1,870 posts, and 95% are the same tired joke that gets absolutely no response from anyone.

Do you ever say anything other than this? 1,870 posts, and 95% are the same tired joke that gets absolutely no response from anyone.

You have totally misunderstood my point. Some of you guys actually think you know a lot more than you really do! And that is no joke!

You have totally misunderstood my point. Some of you guys actually think you know a lot more than you really do! And that is no joke!
Yes, I get it. Everyone gets it. This is an internet message board. We talk about the Gophers. That leads to people having opinions. Having an opinion doesn't necessarily mean that you think you know more than everyone. Bob thinks that Leidner won't end up as a QB. Given that many on the coaching staff have made comments that allude to Leidner having position versatility, this is not an unreasonable position.

Yet, because someone expressed an opinion, you make the same stupid, snarky comment that you literally make in almost all of your posts. It contributes absolutely nothing, and I'm guessing that's why the same comment is almost universally ignored every single time you make.

Or, put another way, instead of making the same mindless comment every time, perhaps you could contribute to the discussion by making a persuasive case for your opinion. Bob thinks Leidner might not finish his career as a QB. Do you think so? Why or why not?

I know there was speculation after Leidner signed, and I do recall Kill talking about TE. I'm fairly certain they didn't bring in Leidner in as an Athlete though. He's a QB all the way. Think of Moses Alipate, that didn't work out very well for him or us. Duke Anyanwu is very similar, QB in high school, much more athletic though. With the lack of depth, I can't believe they would move Leidner from QB. At least not next year.

I know there was speculation after Leidner signed, and I do recall Kill talking about TE. I'm fairly certain they didn't bring in Leidner in as an Athlete though. He's a QB all the way. Think of Moses Alipate, that didn't work out very well for him or us. Duke Anyanwu is very similar, QB in high school, much more athletic though. With the lack of depth, I can't believe they would move Leidner from QB. At least not next year.

Yeah, I think there is virtually no chance that Leidner gets moved now. I think it was something in the back of their mind if all of the QBs had been back (and Foreman was in the mix). I'm not saying that Foreman is not in the mix, it just seems like a question mark right now.

But yeah, I agree, Leidner will be a QB now for sure.

I just think it adds to the speculation that we might need a JuCo QB next year (obviously that's Kill decision). Your comparison of Alipate seems pretty fitting from the little I've seen of Alipate, who I also think is somewhat similar to Shortell (good arm, not incredibly athletic, big and tall).

Top Bottom