Chris Monter: Redshirt Freshman Josh Tauaefa Transfer To UTEP

Too bad. I had hopes for this kid.

Good luck Josh.

DT is a position of strength (in terms of numbers of players), so I am not surprised that one of the younger scholarship DTs chose to go elsewhere.

It's a bizarre position because some of our more talented DE prospects have (or will) move inside under Coach Kill. Hageman is already inside, I imagine KGM could eventually become a full time DT, and Botticelli (who is an impressive WO player) will eventually slide from DE to full time DT. That made a position that was already recruited pretty heavy in the younger classes, packed.

I only saw how they stacked up against eachother during the spring practices and a little last season, so i'm not going to say anything like "he would have had a hard time seeing the field anyway", but the kid was going to be facing a lot of competition for his entire career to see PT.

That aside, I wish him luck!

These things happen both ways and generally balance themselves out in the end. No hard feelings toward the kid and wish him luck. That said, it may be a good thing depending on what we do with the extra scholarship.

Top Bottom