Chris Monter Q&A with AJ Hammons about Gopher visit

I don't really sense a whole lot of excitement about the Gopher's in that interview. Especially since he is looking to stay close to home.

Thanks for another good interview, Chris Monter. With regards to Gold Vision's comment, I don't take a whole lot of stock trying to read between the lines. All it indicated to me is that he has not made a decision yet, and is exploring all of the pros and cons that go into a big decision before he does finally decide.

AJ seems a low key person he describes his visit and our campus as “pretty good” “pretty nice” and “I like them”, the Purdue program as being “pretty good” and the fact that Cincinnati is somewhat close to home as “pretty good” ….

The fact that he plans to wait till December might be to see how good our many freshmen and RS freshmen develop. Plus our available scholarships might be cleared up by then; who is going pro, who is just sitting on the bench and could be helped by Tubby to get a scholarship at a different school like Dawson did...

Question; is he talking about Tubby Smith in the below quote or a different coach Smith?

"
GH: What things have you been working on to improve yourself as a player?

AH: I am working on running the floor more. Coach Smith has me doing that. I had to work on my test a little more. I am working on my moves and finishing hard and dunking more.
"

If he is talking Tubby I think that is a positive.

Hammons is......

No doubt talking about Oak Hill coach Steve Smith.

It sounds like Purdue is the main competion. All things being equal Pudue may be the favorite because of location, Tubby turn the tables and make the Gophers the favorite based on coaching staff.

I'm surprised the Gophers got a visit from Hammons to be quite frank. His chances of coming here are very very slim. He is Purdue's to lose from everything I've heard, but Purdue has finished runner-up way too many times in situations like this so I guess anything can happen.

indystar -- link quote

"
Finally, 7-footer AJ Hammons was to have taken an official visit to Minnesota last weekend. Hammons, who is from Carmel, made an unofficial visit to Purdue in early September before heading off to school in Virginia. At this point, I do not believe he has set a date for an official to Purdue, but I believe he will do that, likely in October.
"
http://blogs.indystar.com/purdue/2011/09/19/basketball-recruiting-update-4/

Having a player with that size and soft hands gives you a lot to work with. Also have to keep in mind those are highlights from only a few different games 2 summers ago.

Can't access Myron article or find it on Star Tribune's website

BleedGopher
Myron blog: Hammons' coach: Prospect has "real good relationship" with Tubby

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/130290133.html

Go Gophers!!

^^^^^Not sure why I can't access it, but if you could copy/paste the text of the article, it'd be much appreciated. I think Hammons is pretty much down to Purdue, Minnesota, and Cinci. He may take a visit to Wake, but it sounds like he wants to stay relatively close to home. I know Minne isn't close to Indy, but maybe he feels more comfortable in the Big Ten since he's from Indiana.

BleedGopher
Myron blog: Hammons' coach: Prospect has "real good relationship" with Tubby

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/130290133.html

Go Gophers!!

^^^^^Not sure why I can't access it, but if you could copy/paste the text of the article, it'd be much appreciated. I think Hammons is pretty much down to Purdue, Minnesota, and Cinci. He may take a visit to Wake, but it sounds like he wants to stay relatively close to home. I know Minne isn't close to Indy, but maybe he feels more comfortable in the Big Ten since he's from Indiana.

Weird, the link and story are down. It was an odd article to begin with as Myron wrote the story and where a quote should be it read "Quote..." so I imagine he wasn't ready for it to go live, but it did, I posted it and GH tweeted it and now it's gone.

Myron?

Go Gophers!!

The article is cached... I was able to get to it just now. Looks incomplete, probably accidentally published. Doesn't say anything of note.

Top Bottom