Chris Monter Q&A: Texas WR Quentin Gardener Is Latest Gopher Commit

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Quentin Gardener, a 6-foot-1, 190 pound wide receiver from Denton (TX) Guyer, has committed to Minnesota. Gardener has visit Minnesota for the USC game, but was re-recruited by new Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill and wide receivers coach Pat Poore. GopherHole.com caught up with Gardener to learn the latest about his commitment and expectations for the upcoming season.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1275

Good luck majoring in business with a 2.4 GPA and a 24 ACT.

The problem is that the average Carlson student has a 29 ACT and 84% have a 3.5 GPA or better. It can be done but it is very very competitive. Some of the other programs such as Business Education aren't nearly as competitive,

Yeah, I'm not feelin his chances of gettin in at Carlson with those credentials, but you never know, there's no hard line rules for getting admitted.

Here was the profile of the Fall 2010 freshman in each school. http://admissions.tc.umn.edu/academics/profile.html

I don't know where he ranked in his class, but 22% of Carlson's class did score in the 24-27 range, so he's not out of the money in that regard.

Good luck majoring in business with a 2.4 GPA and a 24 ACT.

It might not be ideal, but lets not stomp all over his dreams/plans. I had a 24 or 25 (I don't remember anymore) and at one point in time my GPA was around 2.7 at the U (I had a lot of fun early on in college) and now I'm working on my 3rd degree. Many programs require an interview as well. That counts for a lot. There were people with a 4.0 in undergrad that got rejected by pharmacy school and there were people with less than 3.0 that got in. Anything is feasible if you want it.

Looks like a solid recruit, but can he even get in with that low of a gpa?

FWIW, he said he wants to major in Business and Management. The U offers a minor program called "Business Management" that involves all Carlson classes but does not require being accepted into the Carlson school. I did this to go along with my CLA economics major.

The problem is that the average Carlson student has a 29 ACT and 84% have a 3.5 GPA or better. It can be done but it is very very competitive. Some of the other programs such as Business Education aren't nearly as competitive,

What's the competition? C's get degrees, the rest is people skills.

C's end up being the bosses of A's and B's...that's what I've always heard lol.

My boss didn't even go to college and now he's the regional manager at Dunder Mifflin. It's not always about degrees, as the dumb ass who sits next to me went to Cornell and can't sell paper to save his life.

4.43 interesting that was the mentioned speed, since one of the scouting sites states he is not a fast player, I would call that fast

I saw him play a couple of games in the playoffs this year and he is definitely a playmaker. Big and physical, I think he'll be a good addition to the Gophs !

Welcome to the program, Quentin. The Gopher fans here are now going to rip your low GPA, decidedly average ACT score and take a steaming shat all over your aspirations. Thanks for committing to us!

Stay classy, guys.

I just graduated from the U of M with above a 3.0 GPA and I got a 22 on the ACT. Standardized tests don't really mean much as far as college success goes. I didn't try at all in high school, and I have friends who got 30+ on the ACT that are really struggling grade-wise. If he can do the work in college he can get into that major.

I didn't mean to imply that he couldn't succeed at Carlson, but that it would be tough, I graduated from Carlson in 85 so I know the adjustment it takes. My biggest concern is that his low GPA vs decent ACT is indicitive of poor work habits. He will need to really buckle down and work hard to succeed at Carlson, it took me two quarters to get up to speed, and it affected my final GPA.

Carlson's "toughness" is overrated in my opinion. I helped both of my roommates through the school. I was in the College of Education and had classes as tough or tougher than my roommates.

C's end up being the bosses of A's and B's...that's what I've always heard lol.

Ha. I've heard that it was how the A students taught the B students how to be good employees for the C students.

Carlson's "toughness" is overrated in my opinion. I helped both of my roommates through the school. I was in the College of Education and had classes as tough or tougher than my roommates.

It's just tough to get in initially, from what I understand once you're in it's not any more difficult than the other top tier colleges at the U.

It's just tough to get in initially, from what I understand once you're in it's not any more difficult than the other top tier colleges at the U.

IMO, getting in is the hard part. I went through Carlson and I actually thought the coursework was simple (and i'm not like some super smart guy). My friends who took engineering or some of the other majors had much more difficult classes.

IMO, getting in is the hard part. I went through Carlson and I actually thought the coursework was simple (and i'm not like some super smart guy). My friends who took engineering or some of the other majors had much more difficult classes.

I agree, I feel like getting in is the hardest part. I remember taking one of the Carlson management classes as an undergrad when I was in IT (now CSE), and the lowest grade on the curve was a B-. I couldn't believe it LOL.

I remember my experience with an entry level business class - I wasn't sure what I wanted to major in, so I took it to see what I thought. Overall, I thought it was an easy class (and I ended up studying a lot with Ernest Nzigamasabo - great guy!) but I learned enough there to stay away from the business school. I was sick at the start of the quarter and did badly on the first test. I could have dropped the class and gotten either a full refund or 3/4 refund at that point, but I decided to speak to the professor. My concern was whether I was already too far behind to catch up. She told me that if I stick with the class and do well I could still get a good grade. So I stuck with it. I got a perfect score on all of the homework (most people did - it was primarily busywork) and I got the highest score in the class on the remaining tests and also on the final. So imagine my surprise when I got a C in the class! I went to talk to the professor about it, reminded her of our conversation and told her I didn't consider a C to be a "good grade". She said that she was sorry, but that's just how the numbers worked out. If she meant what she had said, I should at least have gotten a B. That inflexibility showed me I had no interest in going down that path.

Having said that, when I was close to graduating with my Comp Sci degree, I had to choose a "focus" and I picked a business application based one which had a couple of business classes. Easy A's. Maybe I should have stuck to business - my GPA probably would have been better!

Top Bottom