Chris Henry Dead at 26

Reaction score
I am sure most people already got this news, but just saw that Cincinnati Bengals WR Chris Henry died of injuries he received during a domestic dispute with his fiance - he fell out the back of a pick-up truck. Sorry to hear about this, my thoughts and prayers are with his three young children.

A synopsis

Like it or not, let's review the facts from AP:

Police said the dispute began at a home about a half-mile away, and Henry jumped into the bed of the pickup as his fiancee was driving away from the residence. Later Thursday, police released two 911 tapes. The first was from an unidentified woman who said she was following a yellow pickup truck.

“He’s beating on the back of this truck window. … I don’t know if he’s trying to break in or something. It just looks crazy. It’s a girl driving it.”

“We knew him in a different way than his public persona,” Bengals owner Mike Brown(notes) said of the player who was suspended five times during his career.

When Henry was arrested for a fifth time following that season on an assault charge, the Bengals decided they’d had enough. At his arraignment on April 3, 2008, Municipal Court Judge Bernie Bouchard called Henry “a one-man crime wave.” He was released by the Bengals the same day.

Henry also changed his personal life, spending more time with his fiancee and the three children they are raising. Teammates noticed a pronounced change in his demeanor.

Apparently not. May his angry, self-centered soul be at rest. This is not a homocide, it is suicide by stupidity.

yeah usually best to save such sentiments for a later date in time even if true.

yeah usually best to save such sentiments for a later date in time even if true.

I disagree. We always lionize these sociopaths when they die--nearly always directly or indirectly by their own hand. He wasn't there for his kids 99% of the time and tried to assault their mother. Now he won't be there for them except for a sad, sick set of video clips, arrest records, and shame.

I'm sick to death of it...arrrrggh...spoke too soon...I've having a heart attack...

There is nothing in Chris Henry's history that would warrant or justify him dying at 26 years old. While I would agree its both sad and astounding how he did not protect his career with some of the choices he made, I would also say its both sad and even more astounding that some will not even let the young man be dead for 24 hours before making negative comments about him.

I live in the Charlotte area and this has been on the news all day. One of the neighbors was quoted as saying they heard him shout out to his girl friend (while banging on the back window of the pickup truck; "Let me in or I'll jump off and kill myself".

A real tragedy and obviously a troubled soul.

There is nothing in Chris Henry's history that would warrant or justify him dying at 26 years old. While I would agree its both sad and astounding how he did not protect his career with some of the choices he made, I would also say its both sad and even more astounding that some will not even let the young man be dead for 24 hours before making negative comments about him.

I have nothing bad to say about him I'm just saying that everything highwayman pointed out was a fact and there's no two ways about it.I'm not saying he deserved to die, but nobody is to blame but himself.
________
Rambler marlin history

What You Say?

Well, let us know when we can comment on the utterly bizarre manner in which he died. Totally avoidable and unnecessary. ESPN repeats their mantra about how he had changed. Sure doesn't sound like he changed nearly enough. Yes, this is tragic death, but it is also an opportunity to observe the fruits of a life completely out of control.

What was he doing in Charlotte durring the regular NFL season when he plays for the Bengals?

I know he was out with an injury, broken bone or something.

He was out for the rest of the season with a broken arm. Highwayman, my goodness...

There is nothing in Chris Henry's history that would warrant or justify him dying at 26 years old.

What about the desire for a Darwin Award?

We don't weep for the American soldiers who die in Iraq of Afghanistan on a monthly basis who are truly giving their lives for their country. They get brief mention on a syndicated tv news broadcast for one day (unless it is a loss of life of great magnitude) and the world moves on, except for the people in their region or hometown, where it hits closer to home. It's very depressing to find that the role of celebrity equates to the incessant message of respect giving in our society. It's crummy that he died, but his contributions to society were nonexistent and yet we'll hear about this for at least a week.

Impulsive people make up a vast majority of the world's criminal element. Perhaps this was the best way for him to go, without having the life of another in his hands. That would've been far more tragic, and considering his criminal history and described behavior, quite likely. The greatest tragedy is that there are another three kids who will most likely grow up with no father figure.

It's difficult to be philosophical about the death of any young person. It's just a fact that the death of the famous and infamous generates more publicity and public wailing and gnashing of teeth. Henry's death is no more or less tragic than any other young man or woman. Be they in the mid-East or doing a drug deal in DC, each leaves broken hearts and wasted potential.

What about the desire for a Darwin Award?

We don't weep for the American soldiers who die in Iraq of Afghanistan on a monthly basis who are truly giving their lives for their country. They get brief mention on a syndicated tv news broadcast for one day (unless it is a loss of life of great magnitude) and the world moves on, except for the people in their region or hometown, where it hits closer to home. It's very depressing to find that the role of celebrity equates to the incessant message of respect giving in our society. It's crummy that he died, but his contributions to society were nonexistent and yet we'll hear about this for at least a week.

Impulsive people make up a vast majority of the world's criminal element. Perhaps this was the best way for him to go, without having the life of another in his hands. That would've been far more tragic, and considering his criminal history and described behavior, quite likely. The greatest tragedy is that there are another three kids who will most likely grow up with no father figure.

First off, he is a 26 yr old kid who's troubles included having marijuana and a gun. He wasn't a child molester, drug dealer or anything like that. You talk about a Darwinism award for a 26 yr old?

People are entitled to have any opinion they want, but the kid died this morning! If he really wanted to beat the hell out of his GF, you really think she would have made it to the car? He is an immature kid who sounds like he let his emotions get the best of him, he didn't deserve to die.

On a side note, I definitely agree that our soldiers deserve a lot more attention, but that is the world we live in. We live in a tabloid fueled culture. Real news, like real people passing away from doing the right thing, just doesn't cut it, and that's a shame. However, IMO, it doesn't give people free reighn to say whatever they want about Chris Henry (without looking an Ahole). JMO.

I might have been a little rough on this one, but let's be clear about one thing--everyone's life leads to their death. Every moment leads to it.

We don't know how we're going to go, but we can limit our options. I'd love to pass away in a harem somewhere, but my commitment to my wife, children, friends, and job takes that option away.

Mr. Henry was a sad, tortured soul. In the end, his life lead him to his death. Did he deserve it? You'll be shocked to hear me say I'm not sure about that. Was it preventable? Certainly--but by him and him only. Was it tragic? Certainly not. Predictable? Certainly so.

My brother uses a great expression--"It's funny how trouble always seems to find YOU."

May Chris Henry rest in peace--but his actions and life will continue affect the future of his abused fiance and their children for the rest of their live. That's unforgivable.

I have nothing bad to say about him I'm just saying that everything highwayman pointed out was a fact and there's no two ways about it.I'm not saying he deserved to die, but nobody is to blame but himself.

What highwayman said is the truth? Really? So highwayman knows for a fact Chris Henry was not there 99% percent of the time for his children? How do you think he knows that?:confused:

I might have been a little rough on this one, but let's be clear about one thing--everyone's life leads to their death. Every moment leads to it.

We don't know how we're going to go, but we can limit our options. I'd love to pass away in a harem somewhere, but my commitment to my wife, children, friends, and job takes that option away.

Mr. Henry was a sad, tortured soul. In the end, his life lead him to his death. Did he deserve it? You'll be shocked to hear me say I'm not sure about that. Was it preventable? Certainly--but by him and him only. Was it tragic? Certainly not. Predictable? Certainly so.

My brother uses a great expression--"It's funny how trouble always seems to find YOU."

May Chris Henry rest in peace--but his actions and life will continue affect the future of his abused fiance and their children for the rest of their live. That's unforgivable.

I know you toned down your comments but please allow me to say this. You make a great point about life (actions in life) leading to death. Here is one for you. Running off at the mouth or making wild insensitive comments about someones death. People who are super critcal of others tend to fall much harder than the people they are being critical of.

I like the expression your brother uses about some folks always finding trouble. Allow me to leave you with an expression---"Don't allow your mouth to write checks your ass may have to cash";)

Well, let us know when we can comment on the utterly bizarre manner in which he died. Totally avoidable and unnecessary. ESPN repeats their mantra about how he had changed. Sure doesn't sound like he changed nearly enough. Yes, this is tragic death, but it is also an opportunity to observe the fruits of a life completely out of control.

Talk all you want about the circumstances of his death; it was bizarre to say the least. I just didn't think it was appropriate to have is death being warranted and him responsible before he even made it to the funeral parlor let alone the police releasing an account of what happened.:cool:

Top Bottom