Chris Fowler

gophersfan

Reaction score
did i just here him say, the Gophers are falling apart.

Yes, yes he did. right after that Herbstreit said that every week during the Big Ten segment the crowd took the opportunity to take a break and get something to drink. Seriously Herbstreit, when did you go all the way over to the dark side? I can't wait until another Big Ten team wins the NC. Herby will be right back on the bandwagon then, but we'll all know where he's been the last couple years.

ESPN has gotten really sad and transparent in regards to their feelings about the Big 10. It's been a couple of years since the Big 10 has housed clearly the best team in the country, but the abandoning of the conference by ESPN I believe has little more to do with anything except the Big 10 Network. Same thing with the NHL and their deal with Versus. They can get away with it in football, because currently the Big 10 is weaker than normal...but it will be interesting how hard they try to bury the truth during basketball season when the Big 10 may be the strongest in the country. SEC football is an embarrassment to the term 'student-athlete' just as ESPN is an embarrassment to the term 'journalism.' They are like Fox News or MSNBC...in that they have a specific agenda and try to come off as objective. (please don't turn this political...I included both sides. Let's drop our defensiveness just this once.)

Let's be real here. The Big 11 has been down for several years. We're starting on our way back but it will be a while. Honestly, it's the SEC Big 12 and everyone else.

:pig:
Let's be real here. The Big 11 has been down for several years. We're starting on our way back but it will be a while. Honestly, it's the SEC Big 12 and everyone else.
:pig:

You're ignorant. The Big 12 is no better than the Big Ten this year. The truth is the the top four conferences in no particular order are the Big Ten, SEC, Big 12, and Pac-Ten. These are the conferences that go to and win National Title games. And that includes the Big Ten, who people seem to forget WON the NC in 2003! The Big Ten is a bit down this year but so is the Big 12, and the SEC's best teams have underperformed this year as well.

I agree. It's the SEC and everyone else. Big 12 is nothing special in football this season. There's Texas and what else? I'd put the Pac 10 a distant second behind the SEC.

Seriously, which of today's Big Ten games would interest ANYBODY outside of the Big Ten? I love the Big Ten, and even I'm impatient for a decent game to come on at 2:30.

I'd agree that top-to-bottom the Big Ten is right there with the Big 12 and Pac-10, but the difference is at the top. You can argue all day about OSU-PSU-Iowa vs. a top team, any given Saturday, etc. But I think most people who know what they're talking about would take Texas and Ok. St (or Oklahoma w./ Bradford), or USC and Oregon, against any two teams in the Big Ten.

BTW, disregarding my own hatred for the Hawkeyes, Iowa in the national championship would be the worst thing that could happen to the Big Ten this year. They're down 14 to Indiana, for chrissakes. Florida, Alabama or Texas would absolutely embarrass them.

This is an especially bad week, I agree. What makes me the most upset is not when ESPN acts like the SEC is better (because right now they are) it's when they act like the Big East is a viable football conference.

I can't wait for Cincy to get eaten in a BCS bowl.

I think every team feels slighted by ESPN. Personally I find it best to just ignore them.

did i just here him say, the Gophers are falling apart.

The funny thing is if you looked at these boards after the Ohio State game, many of us were saying the same thing! And to be honest, we have looked like we're falling apart. People are too sensitive to national talking heads.

Now, here's the big question: Do we pull it together tonight and win this game and get us on track to a 7-5 season and a decent bowl game. Man, a win would be sweet tonight!

Last in the Big Ten in offense. Last in the Big Ten in defense. Outscored 58-7 the past two weeks, why is the national media disrespecting us?

Hate to Admit It, but This is True...

Last in the Big Ten in offense. Last in the Big Ten in defense. Outscored 58-7 the past two weeks, why is the national media disrespecting us?

This is unfortunately true. Facts support it. MSU is a big big game for this team. Either this team will recover to salvage the rest of the season or this thing will get ugly.

Ok, I love the Big Ten and all it has to offer, but for football, the conference is well below the SEC and Big 12 in the last 6-8 years. Look at the Big 10's record in significant bowl games, it's atrocious. Ohio State, the league's top program, has been downright pathetic against the SEC.
I think the national media gave the Gophers a legit shot at the beginning of the season. But the network aired games that the Gophers have simply looked awful. Why wouldn't the network say something like Minnesota is falling apart? "Rah-rah" Gophers...here we go again!

Minnesota beat Alabama & Arkansas in Bowl Games...just sayin'.......

Florida struggles against Miss State and Bama needs 2 blocked FG's to win over UT and the media uses it as an example of the SEC being strong top to bottom. Iowa struggles to beat MSU and Indiana and OSU loses to Purdue and the media uses it as an example of the conference being weak.

Florida struggles against Miss State and Bama needs 2 blocked FG's to win over UT and the media uses it as an example of the SEC being strong top to bottom. Iowa struggles to beat MSU and Indiana and OSU loses to Purdue and the media uses it as an example of the conference being weak.

This is exactly the kind of spin that many of us here notice - thanks for pointing it out with such good examples.

Top Bottom