Choking

MI was not ready to play but TCU was.
Harbaugh was outcoached.
tOSU gave it their best shot and it was a very entertaining game- if you were not a fan of either team. Having their best WR on the bench might have cost OSU the game.
TCU played with abandon with nothing to lose.
The fans and players of the other teams were not going to be satisfied with anything less than a national championship.

The BIG choke.
Michigan did IMO. tOSU represented B1G very well. A #4 seed going toe to toe with Georgia and giving themselves a "chip and a chair" at the end with a FG was impressive. I thought Georgia would win by 14+ and Michigan by 10-15 points. Just my take anyways. For most part --- and to this point --- B1G has been exceeding my expectations.

Ohio St might have scored 60 if they didn’t have so many guys hurt.

That quick 70+ yard TD where the defender fell down was a killer.

OSU played like a potential national champion especially considering the injuries. They have nothing to be ashamed of. The Georgia QB said in awe "that's an unbelievable team!" during his post game interview. Stroud was outstanding.

Ohio State played damn well and had some unfortunate breaks. Georgia really good and there's no shame in losing that one. Michigan choked on it, two pick six's. Goaline fumble, TO on downs, that's potentially a28 point swing on four plays
Agreed. The only choking you could try say OSU did was throttling down the tempo on the first play call when they got to the edge of fg range. Probably didn’t do ruggles any favors leaving him at that distance but to even be there with that chance is a testament to how well they played

Michigan was less about the choke than it was about a few extremely bad plays from their young QB. Three bad plays directly cost them 21 points - 2 pick sixes and a fumble at the goal line. It's amazing Michigan was even in the game at the end.

Edit added: I suppose you could argue that McCarthy choked. He'll be OK. The cameramen let us know that he has a smokin hot girlfriend.

Last edited:

Stroud was having a 2006 Vince Young vs. USC type game up until that last set of downs. Especially since he had maybe the best WR in college football on the sidelines along with a starting TE and I think another starting WR. If that last kick would have been good, his performance would be lauded as one of the best ever.

Stroud was having a 2006 Vince Young vs. USC type game up until that last set of downs. Especially since he had maybe the best WR in college football on the sidelines along with a starting TE and I think another starting WR. If that last kick would have been good, his performance would be lauded as one of the best ever.
Yeah you could definitely see the drop off when Harrison went out. Let Georgia roll coverage onto the one other guy who was hurting them and slowed OSU down massively

OSU had both Marvin Harrison, Jr. and Jaxon Smith-Njigma out--perhaps the two best WRs in college football--plus Tre'Veyon Henderson out--one of the mosts explosive RBs in college football. I would say that the "remnant" of OSU's skill players acquitted themselves very well. I would also say that Stetson Bennett, at 5'11 190 lbs, has one heck of a quick release and powerful arm. Some of the throws he made, including for the go-ahead TD, were really impressive. What a football game. Too bad somebody had to lose.

Michigan was less about the choke than it was a few extremely bad plays from their young QB. Three bad plays directly cost them 21 points - 2 pick sixes and a fumble at the goal line. It's amazing Michigan was even in the game at the end.

Edit added: I suppose you could argue that McCarthy choked. He'll be OK. The cameramen let us know that he has a smokin hot girlfriend.
Yeah, I don't know that choke is the right word for it but Michigan got off to a disastrous start and although they dug out of it, it really shifted the game.

2 really entertaining games between 4 very talented teams.

The BIG choke.

TCU looked like the better overall team.

I was more surprised Ohio State kept up with Georgia. I don’t know what that means, if Georgia is down or if Ohio State hit their stride but they put up a lot of points on a top SEC defense even while missing top players. The kicker choked and shanked it, feel for that guy - even though he’s not the only reason they lost and a tough kick.

Glad Michigan lost, sad OSU lost. With transitive property of football and given Michigan embarrassed Ohio State at home TCU will be national champions going away…/s

MI was not ready to play but TCU was.
Harbaugh was outcoached.
tOSU gave it their best shot and it was a very entertaining game- if you were not a fan of either team. Having their best WR on the bench might have cost OSU the game.
TCU played with abandon with nothing to lose.
The fans and players of the other teams were not going to be satisfied with anything less than a national championship.
Part of why I’m looking forward to the 12 team playoff. Conference champs are only eligible for byes and teams Will go on the road in first round. 11 games yo decide it and more of what we saw last night. Drama!

College kids are hard to predict on how they will handle pressure. TCU played loose as did tOSU. Georgia overcame it, Michigan didn’t. Would be fun to have seen USC, Utah, Bama, Clemson, PSU, KSU, Tenn, Tulane all part of it.

TCU looked like the better overall team.

I was more surprised Ohio State kept up with Georgia. I don’t know what that means, if Georgia is down or if Ohio State hit their stride but they put up a lot of points on a top SEC defense even while missing top players. The kicker choked and shanked it, feel for that guy - even though he’s not the only reason they lost and a tough kick.

Glad Michigan lost, sad OSU lost. With transitive property of football and given Michigan embarrassed Ohio State at home TCU will be national champions going away…/s
Remember, these teams haven't played in 5 or 6 weeks. this gives a huge advantage to offenses as they have over a month to prepare.

Remember, these teams haven't played in 5 or 6 weeks. this gives a huge advantage to offenses as they have over a month to prepare.
They all played 5 or fewer weeks ago.

Yeah, I don't know that choke is the right word for it but Michigan got off to a disastrous start and although they dug out of it, it really shifted the game.

2 really entertaining games between 4 very talented teams.
Michigan should have kicked a field goal on their first scoring opportunity. tOSU caught the injury bug at the worst possible time. Their mostly reliable kicker missed the field goal.

That game could have easily gone tOSU's way.

I thought tOSU looked really good.

“choke” is one of those fan terms someone says when they can’t come up with anything thoughtful to say.
Agree. I thought OSU and Georgia was a good ol' fashioned slug fest between two equal foes.

Michigan just shot themselves in the foot too many times. One pick 6 can be hard to overcome by itself. Two in the same game is even more difficult. Trying to be cute at the goal line cost them a TD and a fumble at the goal line another TD. The overturned TD prior to the fumble was a terrible reversal IMHO, but was not the only thing Michigan had working against them.

Both games were incredibly fun to watch. I do believe they got the four teams absolutely right this season. I'm absolutely rooting for TCU to win it all because:

1. They aren't an SEC team.
2. They are one of the smallest schools in FBS.
3. The first team from Texas to win a natty would NOT be UT or A&M.
4. It makes people who say the Big 12 is a crappy conference look foolish.

These were two great games for college football because none of the 4 teams seemed overmatched or out of place. And, because neither game was a blow-out; each went down to the wire with incredible plays on both sides. Tension and drama until the last minute in each. Best case scenario for college football.

Top Bottom