Chisolm leg

That just barely had the leg to make it through, haha

Minnesota High School kickers kick off of a tee. Its literally snapped and then set on a tee. Not saying this isn't impressive but its not a true 51 yard FG.

Minnesota High School kickers kick off of a tee. Its literally snapped and then set on a tee. Not saying this isn't impressive but its not a true 51 yard FG.
And generally you gotta temper it all with the fact that there are TONS of videos out there with kickers hitting long FGs in sort of "setup" situations... and yet in CFB land in game it somehow becomes way different.

Not to take anything away from the kid in the video, but in game kicking in CFB or the NFL /= to what we see other folks do in random vids.

Having a big leg is about 30% of being an effective PK. In general, the anecdotes about guys kicking long-ish FGs often says more about the coach willing to try a kick like that than it does about the kicker. Height, trajectory, how he strikes the ball, all things I would want to know more about than if a kid made one over 50 yards.

Had to actually watch the video. Who in the world is rushing that kick that he was able to take like a 3+ step approach? Not to be a hater but watching the kick, I gotta say color me unimpressed?

Had to actually watch the video. Who in the world is rushing that kick that he was able to take like a 3+ step approach? Not to be a hater but watching the kick, I gotta say color me unimpressed?
My favorite sentence construction:

Not to be a [insert whatever you are], but [insert thoughts demonstrating you are who you are].

My favorite sentence construction:

Not to be a [insert whatever you are], but [insert thoughts demonstrating you are who you are].
You'll forgive me for actually knowing something about placekicking. A ball creeping over the bar, with zero oncoming rush, kicking off a 2-inch black block, with an approach almost twice the length of a typical FG approach, is not entirely all that impressive? I mean really, standard approach for FG is somewhere around 1.75 to 2-steps and he took like a 3-4 step run at the ball. This was basically a Kickoff from just outside the 41-yard line. Is there some reason this should be impressive?

As an aside, your syntax suggestions are duly noted and of course most relevant to the discussion.

Last edited:

I don't know if I would have my HS team put on much of a rush on a 51 yard FG. I'd be much more worried about roughing the kicker or a fake. We probably see a 51 yard FG hit in Northern Minnesota every 30 years?

I'm impressed. It's the 4th longest in state history. Does it mean he could do it in a college game? Who knows? I'm guessing he'd also improve a bit between being 17 and being 21.

I don't know if I would have my HS team put on much of a rush on a 51 yard FG. I'd be much more worried about roughing the kicker or a fake. We probably see a 51 yard FG hit in Northern Minnesota every 30 years?

I'm impressed. It's the 4th longest in state history. Does it mean he could do it in a college game? Who knows? I'm guessing he'd also improve a bit between being 17 and being 21.
It's also become a "punt" in HS, so if it lands on the 1, the other team gets it on the 1.

For whatever reason, HS coaches have notoriously been very averse to attempting longer FGs in games. It's one of the reasons you don't see a lot of longer ones made.

As to Maxy's comment about getting it at the 1; I remember a while back, one of the HS had a foreign exchange student that ended up going to NDSU to kick (but never really amounted to much), I think he was from Detroit Lakes? Ludwig Millfors or something like that. Anyway, at his HS they used his accuracy to game the system but "attempting" FG's somewhere near midfield and instead aiming for the coffin corner, trying to pin teams inside the 10 or so. Strange shit, and I might be butchering the details but that's my recollection.

For whatever reason, HS coaches have notoriously been very averse to attempting longer FGs in games. It's one of the reasons you don't see a lot of longer ones made.

As to Maxy's comment about getting it at the 1; I remember a while back, one of the HS had a foreign exchange student that ended up going to NDSU to kick (but never really amounted to much), I think he was from Detroit Lakes? Ludwig Millfors or something like that. Anyway, at his HS they used his accuracy to game the system but "attempting" FG's somewhere near midfield and instead aiming for the coffin corner, trying to pin teams inside the 10 or so. Strange shit, and I might be butchering the details but that's my recollection.
I've been around quite a bit of HS football (in MN, PA, and Texas now). My brother in law is a HC in the metro area and one of my best friends is a HS coach in Texas. I really think the main reason they are averse to it is that the odds aren't very good. If it's 4th and less than 10, they probably have a better chance at picking up the first down. If it's 4th and more than 10, they probably get more out of a traditional punt. For most schools, even good programs in good states, being automatic on extra points means you have at least a decent kicking game.

Becker did it in a prep bowl one year and the other team didn't put anyone back to return and it ended up being a great punt.

51 yds is still 51 yds. Other than a few of the metro schools, it's pretty damn rare to see a HS kid hit anything from 40 or longer.

at the HS level, good special teams can really swing a game. I covered a game last week. One team had a kid who could kick off down to the 5-yd line. he also did a rugby-style punt and had decent distance and direction. the other team was in bad field position the whole game.

it would seem simple, but still, it's surprising how many HS teams I see with short kickoffs and bad punting.

Also seen a few stories this year about FB teams recruiting soccer players to kick - including a couple of schools with girls coming over from the soccer team to kick for the FB team. One girl kicked a game-winning field goal, and admitted after the game she thought all kicks were worth 1 point, so she didn't realize she had just won the game.......

Also seen a few stories this year about FB teams recruiting soccer players to kick - including a couple of schools with girls coming over from the soccer team to kick for the FB team. One girl kicked a game-winning field goal, and admitted after the game she thought all kicks were worth 1 point, so she didn't realize she had just won the game.......
I don't know about the landscape today ...

But man when I was high school

"stories this year about FB teams recruiting soccer players to kick"

That's how it was done ... everywhere.

You'll forgive me for actually knowing something about placekicking. A ball creeping over the bar, with zero oncoming rush, kicking off a 2-inch black block, with an approach almost twice the length of a typical FG approach, is not entirely all that impressive? I mean really, standard approach for FG is somewhere around 1.75 to 2-steps and he took like a 3-4 step run at the ball. This was basically a Kickoff from just outside the 41-yard line. Is there some reason this should be impressive?

As an aside, your syntax suggestions are duly noted and of course most relevant to the discussion.
Not to be a nit-picker, but I didn’t make a syntax suggestion.

Top Bottom