Chippy

They started out the game with a bunch of stupid penalties, but they've baited the Gophers in.

Hard seeing those thugs celebrating at the end. I counted 6 different times I saw Tech players taking swings after plays.

#91 was punching guys the whole first half!

Prior to the game I'd have settled for virtually ANY outcome, knowing the team is improving and got its extra practices and bowl experience for the younger guys. But seeing the cheap, thuggish nature of the Texas Tech team made me really want this one badly by about midway throught Q2. It's simply unacceptable to have pissed this one away to a bunch of punks like we did. Shame on Coach Kill & staff for blowing this one as our guys deserved better. Chippy, choppy game and yes, about 4 Tech guys could/should have been ejected for punches. I'll look forward to a rematch with them as we owe 'em one.

Hard seeing those thugs celebrating at the end. I counted 6 different times I saw Tech players taking swings after plays.

I loved how the player who got ejected was acting like he didn't do anything afterwards. I noticed the punch right away.

I expected that behavior from TTU. Seeing it from the Rodents was inexcusable and flat out embarrassing. Epping should be ashamed of himself. His string of penalties flipped the field and was essentially a turnover. Fn embarrassing.

If you lived in Lubbock Texas you would be an asshole too. That place is a hole worth forgetting.

Well said everybody tt easily could have hag 6-12 guys ejected in the first quarter. Never have I seen a larger group of rejects for athletes. Big improvement for gophers and bodes well for next year. Can't wait.

#22 for Tech. What kind of jerk off blatantly punches a player in the face, gets ejected, complains to the ref about it, than walks off the field doing there stupid 'guns up' sign?!

What a classy group of players if you ask me.

In general more of the chippiness came from the Texas Tech side of the field but I don't think you can let our guys totally off the hook. Our guys may not have thrown as many punches but there was definitely plenty of examples of extra curricular activity from Gopher players as well. As was mentioned up the thread Epping single handedly derailed one drive with bonehead plays.

The thing I don't really get is why these teams seemed to have so much hatred for each other considering the fact they have no history with each other. I wonder if something happened during one of the bowl events leading up to the game that got tempers a little hot for the game.

Well, when your school slogan is "guns up" in this day and age, I wouldn't expect fine, upstanding gentlemen.

This sums it up for me. #22, what a chump.

[video]http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/5720597/punch_.0_standard_709.0.gif[/video]

By the way, the personal foul call on Vereen early in the game was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. I don't even know what the call was. Contact to the head?

In general more of the chippiness came from the Texas Tech side of the field but I don't think you can let our guys totally off the hook. Our guys may not have thrown as many punches but there was definitely plenty of examples of extra curricular activity from Gopher players as well. As was mentioned up the thread Epping single handedly derailed one drive with bonehead plays.

The thing I don't really get is why these teams seemed to have so much hatred for each other considering the fact they have no history with each other. I wonder if something happened during one of the bowl events leading up to the game that got tempers a little hot for the game.

Your right, Epping was incredibly dumb with the bonehead things he did on that drive. Overall, watching things after plays on ESPN, I saw Tech players taking swings quite a few times. It was either #91 or #96 for Tech on D, can't remember, took a pretty blatant swing at one of our players pretty early on, surprised he wasn't ejected as well as that one was not so "suttle".

As far as the teams just not liking each other, they mentioned during the broadcast and a few times on twitter (I know, I know) that the "Rodeo Bowl"or whatever it was sort of set the tone for the game being the way it was. Not sure how much stock I put in to that, but it was mentioned quite a few times through different media for what it is worth. The broadcast, Twitter, ETC.

By the way, the personal foul call on Vereen early in the game was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. I don't even know what the call was. Contact to the head?

I know, complete BS call. Vereen made a good football play, did NOT hit the guy in the head, the guy's body was spinning in the air after first contact with our player who initiated the tackle, and that call really cost us. My take at the time was the refs, having already (justifiably) nailing TT on some unsportsmanlike fouls, were trying to give the appearance of even-handedness. I believe that call on Vereen sent us into full outrage mode and we then began to get sucked in to the after-whistle garbage that TT had initiated for so long.

Your right, Epping was incredibly dumb with the bonehead things he did on that drive. Overall, watching things after plays on ESPN, I saw Tech players taking swings quite a few times. It was either #91 or #96 for Tech on D, can't remember, took a pretty blatant swing at one of our players pretty early on, surprised he wasn't ejected as well as that one was not so "suttle".

As far as the teams just not liking each other, they mentioned during the broadcast and a few times on twitter (I know, I know) that the "Rodeo Bowl"or whatever it was sort of set the tone for the game being the way it was. Not sure how much stock I put in to that, but it was mentioned quite a few times through different media for what it is worth. The broadcast, Twitter, ETC.

Their guys definitely took more blatant swings at our players. The question is what was done that lead to that. I find it hard to sit here and say our guys were innocent victims of TT players just wanting to throw punches. Most of the time on a football field the reaction that gets penalized was instigated by something that wasn't seen or noticed. Were the TT players wrong for throwing punches, absolutely, but I doubt those punches just happened because the player felt like punching someone.

Typically when a game gets chippy like ours did the blame goes both ways. Outside of the chippiness and the way it ended though it was a very entertaining game to watch.

Texas Tech shot up the hate list last night because of how cheap they were. Just no respect for the game at all.

Their guys definitely took more blatant swings at our players. The question is what was done that lead to that. I find it hard to sit here and say our guys were innocent victims of TT players just wanting to throw punches. Most of the time on a football field the reaction that gets penalized was instigated by something that wasn't seen or noticed. Were the TT players wrong for throwing punches, absolutely, but I doubt those punches just happened because the player felt like punching someone.

Typically when a game gets chippy like ours did the blame goes both ways. Outside of the chippiness and the way it ended though it was a very entertaining game to watch.

You are right. Who knows what actually transpired for an opposing team to act like that. Not saying we are blameless, because our team certainly is not. There were numerous instances when some of our guys needed to ratchet it back, Zack Epping most notably. Just seemed to me, that from the get go, Tech players were the ones jawing and getting in peoples faces. I think of there QB on one of the first drives of the game, got tackled by Hageman and another gopher I think, gets up and immediately gets up both of their faces and has to be restrained by his lineman. I like that kind of energy when you do not come off looking the way he did after he was in there faces, which was that he looked out of control (Epping included).

But, your right, after all that, very fun game to watch! Despite the out come, which sucked.

Below is what the Amaro kid (WR #22 who popped Derrick Wells) Tweeted last night after getting ejected. I call BS. But at least he apologized for getting ejected.

Jace Amaro Jace Amaro ‏@J_ACER22

I want to apologize for being ejected. As bad as it seems, which it does, I had no intention of a punch. But the idea to get off of him.

1:06 AM - 29 Dec 12

You are right. Who knows what actually transpired for an opposing team to act like that. Not saying we are blameless, because our team certainly is not. There were numerous instances when some of our guys needed to ratchet it back, Zack Epping most notably. Just seemed to me, that from the get go, Tech players were the ones jawing and getting in peoples faces. I think of there QB on one of the first drives of the game, got tackled by Hageman and another gopher I think, gets up and immediately gets up both of their faces and has to be restrained by his lineman. I like that kind of energy when you do not come off looking the way he did after he was in there faces, which was that he looked out of control (Epping included).

But, your right, after all that, very fun game to watch! Despite the out come, which sucked.

Below is what the Amaro kid (WR #22 who popped Derrick Wells) Tweeted last night after getting ejected. I call BS. But at least he apologized for getting ejected.

Jace Amaro Jace Amaro ‏@J_ACER22

I want to apologize for being ejected. As bad as it seems, which it does, I had no intention of a punch. But the idea to get off of him.

1:06 AM - 29 Dec 12

This is like when Todd Bertuzzi said he wasn't trying to hurt Steve Moore after he sucker punched him from behind.

It was always my assumption that if you took a swing, you're gone. There was a lot of pushing and shoving, much of which the Gophers started. However, I counted at least three TT players that wound up and threw a punch, and #96 did it more than once.

It was always my assumption that if you took a swing, you're gone. There was a lot of pushing and shoving, much of which the Gophers started. However, I counted at least three TT players that wound up and threw a punch, and #96 did it more than once.

I know that is an NFL rule, assume it is one in college as well. The refs have to see it tough and deem it was a punch. It is far easier to see some of those things clearly on TV than it is down among the giants on the field in the middle of all the chaos.

I hate losing this one. The best way to shut up punks like this is to beat them on the scoreboard, we had a chance to hit them across the jaw with a bowl loss to an unrespected B1G team, and then we let them off the hook.

Top Bottom