Chip: Will P.J. Fleck change as a coach, as change swirls all around him?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chip:

In many ways, Year 7 feels like a new beginning for Fleck, or at least a clearly defined new chapter. He has a new quarterback, new co-offensive coordinators and a newish roster that no longer features players who became synonymous with Fleck's tenure: Morgan, Ibrahim, Sori-Marin, Schmitz, et al.

Fleck made an observation last week that crystallizes this sense of longevity.

"You start getting compared to the success that you've had," he said. "Not the success that Minnesota teams had before you, but how you've done."

Fleck has been in Minnesota long enough that his program feels settled in. The Big Ten will become even more competitive next season with the addition of the four Pac-12 schools (USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington). The job isn't getting any easier. Fleck's program must keep advancing to keep pace in this new superconference.

The start of any season always feels invigorating. This one especially so. All the changes create the perception of it being something new, something different, version 2.0 of Fleck's tenure.

The head coach swears he's not changing. If his quarterback throws as much as he hands off, we'll know Fleck was just being coy.

Go Gophers!!

If PJ can win by running the ball that’s what he’ll continue to do. If it turns out our QB and WR’s are more talented this year he’ll use that as a tool to keep teams off balance and throw more. No one’s changing a core strategy if it’s still effective though.

If PJ can win by running the ball that’s what he’ll continue to do. If it turns out our QB and WR’s are more talented this year he’ll use that as a tool to keep teams off balance and throw more. No one’s changing a core strategy if it’s still effective though.
And he literally said he won't change his core strategy. He'll always run more than throw.

Depends on their D. You run to open the passing game. You pass to open the running. Or heaven forbid you just smash them with a balanced attack. We can do all three.

Minnesota fans and media complained for years about the state of Gopher football.

Now they have a winning program, and they want the coach to change his philosophy.

It's amazing. It's Minnesotans acting their most... Minnesotan.

Minnesota fans and media complained for years about the state of Gopher football.

Now they have a winning program, and they want the coach to change his philosophy.

I'm worried about your post.

PJ is easy to nitpick but if I had one request only it would be that he become a better game coach. Ferentz has used and abused him on game day and generally he’s just not that good on the sidelines. I don’t think he’s changed his best much there.

The Gophers' coaching staff will make tweaks based on available talent and the new offenses and defenses.

I think they remain true to their base identity.

When we sat on the final 38 seconds of the 1st quarter following a first down, the answer to the question of this thread was cemented.

When we sat on the final 38 seconds of the 1st quarter following a first down, the answer to the question of this thread was cemented.

PJ is never going to stop trying to control the clock. Why would he?

1-0 in the B1G. 1-0 in the B1G West against a team that looks vastly improved.

Solid, gutty, exciting...

It’s classic. Fleck has done a great job. I think they will struggle this year a little with a new qb,rb and damn that schedule is a beast. But that doesn’t mean the program isn’t moving in the right direction.

Top Bottom