Chip: When the games come back, will you be there?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

The games will resume eventually. When? Nobody knows that for sure. Maybe a month. Maybe much longer. It’s still just guesswork.

Sports executives are busy sorting through different scenarios that would allow their games to start again. They’re trying to piece together timelines and details without an expiration date on this pandemic.

When the sports world does return to action, how will you respond?

I wanted to hear answers from season-ticket holders of various Twin Cities teams. In e-mailed discussions with more than a dozen people, I asked each fan two questions: What will it take for you to go back to the stadium, arena or ballpark? And why?

Their answers, not surprisingly, covered the spectrum. Here are nine responses that show just that, and some thoughts from me on returning to sports.

Ready to return

David Reeves: “As soon as play resumes and the stadium is open to fans, I am comfortable going back to TCF Bank Stadium and rooting for the Gophers. I’m trusting that university administration will be making decisions based upon sound advice from public health experts.”

Multiple fans said they trust health experts and will return without trepidation when given clearance.

Need distancing, protection

Mike Pokrandt: “For me to go back to the Pav [Maturi Pavilion for Gophers volleyball], I’ll need to see a combination of active screening, masks and social distancing. I’ll be a lot more likely to attend events once there is a vaccine or drug that is proven to treat this virus.”

I also wonder if fans wearing masks will become a regular part of stadium experience.

Go Gophers!!

Won’t be st the volleyball games. Also not at the basketball, at least not all of them. But will be at the football games and would be willing to wear a mask if that is a requirement to get into the stadium.

Nope. Takin' a break until 2021-2022. Saw my last game end of February with the understanding the $hit was about to hit the fan.

It'll be tough to go this coming basketball season without a vaccine. Do we renew season tix and not use them? Sell them?

We're starting to wonder whether our daughter is going to lose her senior season of college gymnastics to this. That's a dark cloud hanging over our house. She wouldn't use an extra year of eligibility; she'd want to get on with her life. And she was going to have a great senior season--all conference and D3 all-American potential in my biased opinion.

It'll be tough to go this coming basketball season without a vaccine. Do we renew season tix and not use them? Sell them?

We're starting to wonder whether our daughter is going to lose her senior season of college gymnastics to this. That's a dark cloud hanging over our house. She wouldn't use an extra year of eligibility; she'd want to get on with her life. And she was going to have a great senior season--all conference and D3 all-American potential in my biased opinion.
I will hope your daughter does not lose her senior year. These are the athletes that are never thought of that put in the same hard work that other athletes and without the benefits . True passion to perform and compete. She will be fine either way as her experiences as a competitor and student have prepared her for whatever is next. Best thoughts to you.

I will hope your daughter does not lose her senior year. These are the athletes that are never thought of that put in the same hard work that other athletes and without the benefits . True passion to perform and compete. She will be fine either way as her experiences as a competitor and student have prepared her for whatever is next. Best thoughts to you.
Thank you for your kind thoughts. Obviously our problems are way smaller than other people's, so they barely justify mention. But this is the sports board. We're actually talking about tens of thousands of athletes in the same situation, representing a huge pile of heartbreak all over the country.

I will be there if fans are allowed. I'm in the at-risk group and certainly I'll take some extra precautions if they’re still required, but I’m a firm believer in, when God says it’s your time, it’s your time. Not going to let this thing stop my entire life.

Last edited:

I will be there if fans are allowed. Certainly I will take some extra precautions if they’re still required, but I’m a firm believer in, when God says it’s your time, it’s your time. Not going to let this thing stop my entire life.
SS, you and I dont often agree. However, your post above absolutely says what I am thinking. When it is your time, it is your time. Take precautions and be smart, of course. But, when it is your time it is your time.

I'm back as soon as games are open to the public again. Was planning on attending more games this season than I have in the past including women's game and that has not changed.

I will be there. To all of them

Life doesn't allow me to get to all of them, but I will be at all that I can. It is quite possible to live in practical prudence without fear. I'm grateful to be in good health and low risk. No reason for me to stay away.

The worst part of any event is trying to get through security. If they can figure out a way to do that without having folks queued up inches apart, I would feel OK at least attending Twins and Gopher football games outdoors.

As someone who is at risk, afraid not, as much as it will hurt.

I will be back, but totally realize things will be different. I am willing to make those changes and trust our administrators will not allow fans without strict safety regulations. I too am in the at risk group.

As soon as fans are allowed to attend games I will be there.

If there was a Gopher football, baseball, or basketball game today I'd make my way down to Minneapolis and be in attendance. If there was a local high school game today I'd be there. I miss sports.

I wouldn't have any reservations about going to stadiums once they're allowed.

I’ll be there, as I’m not yet in one of the high risk categories. Increasingly, evidence is pointing to a death rate of closer to the flu. Another antibody study released today conducted by USC researchers estimates up to 55x more in the LA area have had the virus than the official case count. The number was even higher in the Stanford study (80x). The evidence is mounting that experts have overstated the case fatality rate by a wide margin. However, the fact remains that at-risk people are not being adequately protected. The nursing home mass-tragedies are increasing. I’m not sure how all that translates to having live sporting events, but I hope we figure that out soon.

With my wife working urgent care and seeing the impact of this crap (COVID) first hand, I can't envision going to games unless there is a vaccine or some sort of treatment, coupled with meaningful social distancing.

I don't think I will need to decide anyway, I highly doubt public health officials will allow 50k of fans (more elsewhere) packed together with no vaccine.

there wont be a vaccine only a test to determine if you are at risk/not at risk. at risk + age/health problem you will be instructed to stay home. everybody else is free to move about the country. This will be reported by Memorial Day or as old people say Decoration Day.

Top Bottom