Chip: When the games come back, will you be there?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

The games will resume eventually. When? Nobody knows that for sure. Maybe a month. Maybe much longer. It’s still just guesswork.

Sports executives are busy sorting through different scenarios that would allow their games to start again. They’re trying to piece together timelines and details without an expiration date on this pandemic.

When the sports world does return to action, how will you respond?

I wanted to hear answers from season-ticket holders of various Twin Cities teams. In e-mailed discussions with more than a dozen people, I asked each fan two questions: What will it take for you to go back to the stadium, arena or ballpark? And why?

Their answers, not surprisingly, covered the spectrum. Here are nine responses that show just that, and some thoughts from me on returning to sports.

Ready to return

David Reeves: “As soon as play resumes and the stadium is open to fans, I am comfortable going back to TCF Bank Stadium and rooting for the Gophers. I’m trusting that university administration will be making decisions based upon sound advice from public health experts.”

Multiple fans said they trust health experts and will return without trepidation when given clearance.

Need distancing, protection

Mike Pokrandt: “For me to go back to the Pav [Maturi Pavilion for Gophers volleyball], I’ll need to see a combination of active screening, masks and social distancing. I’ll be a lot more likely to attend events once there is a vaccine or drug that is proven to treat this virus.”

I also wonder if fans wearing masks will become a regular part of stadium experience.

Go Gophers!!

If the Gopher's were to open next week I wouldn't go. If people would just stay home or do good social distancing we could nip this issue. People are unknowingly prolonging the problem unfortunately. Oh boy, here we go another long thread.

The decision to let us mingle and be at close quarters with strangers cannot be made without far more community testing for the virus and testing for supposed immunity.
Germany is doing that right now.
Germany has had both tests for a long time. They offered the virus test to us in January or February and the administration turned them down while our CDC was botching our test. We will not have the antibody test for months.
Germany has a very smart leader, who knows science and tells the truth. We do not.
In addition, the life's losers out there screaming to be liberated and grouping together are only going to prolong this isolation. The Tea Party types have crawled out from under their rocks.
The German citizens understand the need for community cooperation. Our president inspires defiance of regulations that are the only tools to control the spread of the virus.
it is going to be a while before the sane governors who listen to scientists and respect hard facts are going to open up their states. The bozo governors will do what Dear Leader asks them do.

ill be there for sure there is always gonna be viruses and bacterial outbreaks through out life if they allow large gathering i'm sure they have a handle on the situation

I’ll be there. Hey Plato don’t forget your umbrella, you’re not smart enough to get out of the rain. More deaths from suicide(50,000) than from the virus. And lots caused because Walz has closed down the economy. So yes, you damm right I’ll be at the Gopher food game. And if you’re afraid of contacting the virus, then stay the hell at home.

Can we stop with the politics on a football board

It is called Trump Derangement Syndrome for a darn good reason, its a derangement. So don't count on a big positive response to your reasonable request (get it, reasonable).

The decision to let us mingle and be at close quarters with strangers cannot be made without far more community testing for the virus and testing for supposed immunity.
Germany has had both tests for a long time. They offered the virus test to us in January or February and the administration turned them down while our CDC was botching our test. We will not have the antibody test for months.
Germany has a very smart leader, who knows science and tells the truth. We do not.
In addition, the life's losers out there screaming to be liberated and grouping together are only going to prolong this isolation. The Tea Party types have crawled out from under their rocks.
The German citizens understand the need for community cooperation. Our president inspires defiance of regulations that are the only tools to control the spread of the virus.
it is going to be a while before the sane governors who listen to scientists and respect hard facts are going to open up their states. The bozo governors will do what Dear Leader asks them do.

You have your examples in a knot. One moment you are all "Deutschland right or wrong, my Deutschland", singing the praise of Germans happily moving in lock steps. The next minute your all worried about "Dear Leader".

You have your examples in a knot. One moment you are all "Deutschland right or wrong, my Deutschland", singing the praise of Germans happily moving in lock steps. The next minute your all worried about "Dear Leader".
I’ll be there

Ok. You really like Germany. Maybe think about moving there? Please go. Go man go. You go there. Go to Germany. I'm first generation German. Go there. Let me know how you like.

Our President...Dear Leader? Guess we know where your political views are at. Do your homework. Bozo Governors? Walz is a democrat but he is smart and generally makes good decisions without going by the party lines.

You go to Germany man...report back here. And let us know how you like it there.

Edit:

PS...just curious why you post such idiotic messages on here....hmmmmm?

I think if (high quality) masks were more readily available it would be an easier decision. But then again people would probably be taking them off all the time to eat and drink.

I’ll be there. Hey Plato don’t forget your umbrella, you’re not smart enough to get out of the rain. More deaths from suicide(50,000) than from the virus. And lots caused because Walz has closed down the economy. So yes, you damm right I’ll be at the Gopher food game. And if you’re afraid of contacting the virus, then stay the hell at home.
Hey Plato...you are an idiot. Plus we know that you are so liberal it must hurt to take a *hit. Good luck to you and your narrow mind.

It is called Trump Derangement Syndrome for a darn good reason, its a derangement. So don't count on a big positive response to your reasonable request (get it, reasonable).
please explain Trump Derangement Syndrome...

Please stop bringing politics to this message board. please!!!! I will stand for my values if you want to keep pushing it.

Lots of deaths caused because Walz closed down the economy?

More deaths from suicide? A) Suicides are self-inflicted. Dying due to a virus is not. B) Coronavirus deaths are going to surpass that number.

This is an embarrassing post, Pete. Lots of stupid stuff there.

And hell yes. I'll be at the games when they are back at TCF.

I’d be there tomorrow if there was a game. If you old timers want to stay home, I don’t blame you. But I’ll be there enjoying it. I have my name in the seat upgrade process, so if you people drop your seats, I’m taking them!

The coming basketball season is going to be a tough call. Without a vaccine, I'm skittish at best. Renew season tickets and not go to the games? That's possible at this point.

Long term, let me back in the water. In fact, the kids will both be out of college, and we might have a few bucks, so maybe we pick up football season tix!

The posts here bitching about this being a political subject: it's not. Those posts should be removed.

Last edited:

Now this is what a country with a competent leadership can do.
As a result small shops are now allowed to be open, the zoos are open etc but still no large gatherings are allowed.
The facts are that there are more asymptomatic carriers of the virus than symptomatic.
These carriers are infectious.
Until we know their numbers there are no reliable data to safely get away from isolation.
Sheer incompetence in this administration, starting at the top, has denied us the testing tools we need.
So if you want the powers that be to allow you to safely attend MN football write and call POTUS and ask for the truth about testing.

I'm honestly mentally preparing for football to happen as a spring sport this year. Universities cant afford a year without college football after the cancellation of March Madness this year. Budgets are in bad shape. However, with the time needed for players to safely return to the field, I just have a hard time seeing that happen in the fall.

I think the February to May proposal that's being tossed around is the most likely one. It will likely take a couple of seasons for schedules to get back to normal after that, but it's a hell of a lot better than no football at all.

A vaccine is probably a year away. Once there is a vaccine, then I think the vast majority of people will feel comfortable with large-group events again.

But, until there is a vaccine, at least some people will not feel comfortable in a large group setting.

If they ramp up the antibody testing and people have some assurance that their chances of being infected are lower, that will help.

but - as things stand today, I still think that IF there is a college FB season, there will be no fans in stands.

However - if a few players test positive - all bets are off. Granted, the players are younger and generally not in high-risk categories - but what about coaches, trainers, support staff, referees, and broadcasters? a couple of people like that testing positive and kiss the game goodbye.

I trust the AD, Big Ten, and NCAA to proceed in a way that protects the health of the players and fans. Given that, I would likely feel safe going to games if they allowed fans and there was evidence that fans were following whatever rules were put in place.

I do, however, live in WA so it's a bit different for me. In the past years few I went to 2 or 3 games (1 or 2 home, and 1 or 2 away). Usually the 2 home games were homecoming and wisconsin over thanksgiving (since I was in the midwest anyway, and have family in both minnesota and wisconsin). Since the Axe game isn't over thanksgiving it makes the traveling a bit harder.

This year is a bit more in jeopardy. Homecoming isn't super exciting this year, and as I mentioned Wisconsin being in the middle of the season makes travel a bit more difficult.

But, if they allow fans in the stadium, I trust they are doing it in a safe way.

If the Gopher's were to open next week I wouldn't go. If people would just stay home or do good social distancing we could nip this issue. People are unknowingly prolonging the problem unfortunately. Oh boy, here we go another long thread.

It is actually the opposite. The shutting down and closure of things is slowing the spread. In this state growth of infections is too slow. We will be one of the last to come out of this and potentially more susceptible to a second wave as a result. You actually have to get people infected to reduce risk. Just saying...

Not only will I attend every game this fall but I might request that when I die I would like to be buried in TCF stadium in a standing position. Standing in perpetuity for every game, all game long.

Last edited:

Top Bottom