Chip: The Big Ten should put an end to bowl arrangements held in baseball stadiums because field conditions deteriorate and threaten player safety.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

The Big Ten should put an end to their bowl arrangements held in baseball stadiums because field conditions deteriorate and threaten player safety. The Gophers played on a slippery surface at Chase Field in Phoenix last season in the Guaranteed Rate Bowl, and the field at Yankee Stadium was embarrassingly bad.

The irony here is that the game's title sponsor is Bad Boy Mowers, a company that specializes in lawn care. The winner's trophy should have come with a piece of sod ripped out of the muck.

Gophers All-America center John Michael Schmitz made a wise decision to skip the game as he prepares for the NFL Draft.

Alas, there were some wonderful moments for the Gophers to celebrate and cherish as an era closes for a group of senior leaders who stayed long enough to be considered old-timers.

Mohamed Ibrahim finished his brilliant career by setting a handful of school rushing records. Ibrahim deserves a final standing ovation as he takes off his jersey for the last time, his legacy secure as one of the program's all-time great performers.

And Tanner Morgan got the opportunity to finish his career on the field after replacing Kaliakmanis in the first half. Morgan threw two touchdown passes and sealed the game with a Victory Formation kneel-down.

Go Gophers!!

Did any get hurt because of the field?

Let's say our prayers that the Bears actually hire Kevin Warren
You only hate him because of covid stuff. I won't touch that crap with a ten-foot pole, so don't bother.

All the other stuff ... he did a great job. And any other person in that role would've done exactly the same on the covid crap. Because the conference comish, at the end of the day, has to do whatever the university presidents tell him/her to do.

If he takes the Bears job (probably for nothing else to help manage getting/building/etc. their new stadium), then I wish him well and good luck.

The Big Ten has enough power to not have to make deals for bowl games in baseball stadiums. This fiasco is on the big ten and hopefully they learn from it.

Though didn’t they recently sign off on a conference game at Wrigley? So clearly they haven’t learned.

The Big Ten has enough power to not have to make deals for bowl games in baseball stadiums. This fiasco is on the big ten and hopefully they learn from it.

Though didn’t they recently sign off on a conference game at Wrigley? So clearly they haven’t learned.
Nothing wrong the stadiums or locations, it's just the field.

They need to truck in artificial turf football fields to lay down, for these games. That's the only real issue.

It didn't appear so. Both AK and Lindenberg's injuries were due to getting hit hard around their ankles.

Even so, bowl games shouldn't be played on real grass baseball stadiums in the northern half of the country in late December.

Nothing wrong the stadiums or locations, it's just the field.

They need to truck in artificial turf football fields to lay down, for these games. That's the only real issue.
Is that even possible?

Is that even possible?
I don't see why not. US Bank Stadium field is not permanent. (not 100% on this, but I think that's correct)

So whatever they do, just throw it and some forklifts on some trucks.

I don't see why not. US Bank Stadium field is not permanent. (not 100% on this, but I think that's correct)

So whatever they do, just throw it and some forklifts on some trucks.
Yeah, clearly not that simple. US Bank is indoors and the turf was specifically installed for it. The logistics alone would be pretty challenging, not to mention the issues with proper drainage, and the cost. It's not like they have a bunch of extra complete high-end turf fields stored somewhere with crews waiting to install them.

Yeah, clearly not that simple. US Bank is indoors and the turf was specifically installed for it. The logistics alone would be pretty challenging, not to mention the issues with proper drainage, and the cost. It's not like they have a bunch of extra complete high-end turf fields stored somewhere with crews waiting to install them.
Well, there should be. Maybe just a few. Rent a turf.

Not sure that drainage would be much of an issue or concern for one day?

Lindenberg looks like the field contributed to his injury (?). The threat of gratuitous injuries affects (diminishes) the play of both teams. E.g., icy intersections might produce lots of spin outs and slides without resulting in a big injury--but the threat of injury is omnipresent and good drivers must drive with extreme caution through such an intersection. Many smart drivers simply avoid such intersections once the conditions are known.

If a good field is rendered poor by a weather event at the time of the game, that's life. But if a field is irredeemably poor because it simply cannot be maintained in playable conditions during winter months, it is a field the B1G--if it cares for player safety and quality of play--should simply move off the dance card. If I were an executive of Big Boy Mowers, a lawn care company, I would feel humiliated by the field conditions yesterday.

They put hockey rinks on baseball fields, I would think they could put a football field over a baseball diamond.

May need to resod, but with an unlimited budget anything is doable.
Totally different animal.

NRG Stadium in Houston has trays of turf that have caused issues. Baseball stadiums have had poor turf. Soldier field has had poor turf. Some are heated, some aren't

Players in the NFL are calling for getting rid of artificial turf. What is the solution when you are playing indoors, outdoors, in 90 degrees and -5 degrees?

Wonder what the players would say if their choice was Metlife Stadium or Yankee Stadium?

Well, there should be. Maybe just a few. Rent a turf.

Not sure that drainage would be much of an issue or concern for one day?
Would think it would take a week or two for setting it up properly.

The bottom line is that there are more than enough top notch football stadiums in warm enough-weather climates to accommodate the number of bowl games in D1. Having to play in a baseball park in the north is one of the levels of Purgatory, and it's not one of the better levels.

Lindenberg looks like the field contributed to his injury (?). The threat of gratuitous injuries affects (diminishes) the play of both teams. E.g., icy intersections might produce lots of spin outs and slides without resulting in a big injury--but the threat of injury is omnipresent and good drivers must drive with extreme caution through such an intersection. Many smart drivers simply avoid such intersections once the conditions are known.

If a good field is rendered poor by a weather event at the time of the game, that's life. But if a field is irredeemably poor because it simply cannot be maintained in playable conditions during winter months, it is a field the B1G--if it cares for player safety and quality of play--should simply move off the dance card. If I were an executive of Big Boy Mowers, a lawn care company, I would feel humiliated by the field conditions yesterday.
So any game on grass in rain or snow should be stopped? Playing devil's advocate. Seems rich to play games in multiple inches of snow and rain, but complain about these conditions. Maybe force all indoor stadiums for games.

The bottom line is that there are more than enough top notch football stadiums in warm enough-weather climates to accommodate the number of bowl games in D1. Having to play in a baseball park in the north is one of the levels of Purgatory, and it's not one of the better levels.
George Steinbrenner dreamed of a bowl game played in Yankee Stadium.
The Big Ten dreamed of being "New York City's conference".
New York City always dreams of ways to bring more tourists in.

They shook hands and said "let someone else work out the details".

The real bottom line, is finding sponsors to spend millions to subsidize the game(s).

The same way the Yankees spent $4,000,000 to get the Pinstripe Bowl.

True.

I suspect it could be figured out.

Reminds me of a Family Guy clip:

At a cost, probably. Wouldn't want to be the venue or sponsor if the Field doesn't drain and it rains or sleets. Arguably worse conditions than yesterday.

I rewatched the game last night as my attention wasn’t fully on the live game. There wasn’t a play in that entire game that a player didnt have to be cognizant of the field conditions. Truly disastrous conditions that both teams had to play on, no excuse at all for what we all watched.

George Steinbrenner dreamed of a bowl game played in Yankee Stadium.
The Big Ten dreamed of being "New York City's conference".
New York City always dreams of ways to bring more tourists in.

They shook hands and said "let someone else work out the details".

Yep. Same reason the Holiday Bowl is played in Downtown San Diego at Petco Park rather than out at the football stadium.

The city and the San Diego Credit Union prefer having the crowds staying in all the hotels near it and spending their money there.

So any game on grass in rain or snow should be stopped? Playing devil's advocate. Seems rich to play games in multiple inches of snow and rain, but complain about these conditions. Maybe force all indoor stadiums for games.
No, because in conditions of normal maintenance and care the grass under the rain is alive and anchored well to the soil. The grass at Yankee Stadium looked as if it was un-anchored at many spots, possibly the result of freeze/thaw? I'm fine with a game in rain or snow on an otherwise playable field--an act of God, if you will, about which nothing can be done. But I do mind when a game is played in fine weather, yet the field is unsafe, and probably has been for weeks, because it hasn't been maintained--which is an avoidable condition. The move to turf in many stadiums, and the constant improvement of turf to reduce injuries, reflects a strong recognition that field conditions absolutely matter. I personally think that the B1G should consider likely game-day field conditions in arranging new bowl tie-ins. Just my opinion.

If NYC and the Yankees are insistent on holding a bowl game at Yankee Stadium, they need to install a heating system in the turf. If it's not cost effective, then get rid of the game. Football players commonly deal with muddy conditions and they can be handled with proper footwear. However, frozen ground below a thin veneer of grassy mud is impossible and the worst of all worlds. The playing conditions were a joke and it's not like they didn't know what the field conditions would be.

The real bottom line, is finding sponsors to spend millions to subsidize the game(s).

The same way the Yankees spent $4,000,000 to get the Pinstripe Bowl.
As I read the social media post going around the internet today by the Southwest Airlines pilot saying that the deterioration of the company over the past several years, leading to the crisis of the last week, is due to upper management valuing financials over the company's operations, it occurs to me that we ought to be able to have a bowl system that doesn't involve playing in unacceptable conditions, and it might have to do with avoiding the prioritization of financials over the integrity of the football games. Other airlines somehow avoided the same fate as Southwest and are still somehow making money.

Top Bottom